SITE UPDATE - July 31, 2016
Slowly getting back on track - Artwork updates will resume August 2016
So it has been two and a half years since the last artwork update; or any other update, for that matter. That is a long time, and I do apologize. Just to fill you in real quick, here is what has happened in my life the last two and a half years:
- I had a falling out with a particular person that was
helpingwith artwork. In the end, he was only here to help himself. For anyone that has frequently visited sites like KLOV, BYOAC, Dragon's Lair Fans, etc., you may have seen other antics he has performed, and consequently gotten himself blacklisted. This was not the main or only reason I have been gone, but it did put a sour taste in my mouth for a while. Later this year, if I find the engergy, I might post some fun to read email chains.
- My daughter graduated high school. Two down; one to go. Well, as far as high school is concerned; all three still live here.
- I decided to buckle down and finish school.
- I started classes at the local Community College in 1991. I went for a year, then had to put things on hold to work more and raise my family.
- I went back again for a year in 2004/2005 for a Certification for my job back then. I also took a few more classes to work towards earning an AA degree. Work became too much, though, at that time, so I had to take a break again once I completed the certification.
- At my current job, there is a training program that I wanted to get into, but you have to have at least an AA degree to qualify for it. I went through the classes I took already, and figured I could finish it in a year. Summer 2015, I took one class. Fall 2015, I took five classes for 17.5 units. Spring 2016, I took the last four classes for 12.5 units. I graduated with honors May 2016 with an AA in Business Management, a second AA in Retail Management, and also passed my CompTIA A+ certification. Yes, I am an overacheiver.
- I am debating at this point if the Bacherlor's Degree is worth it at this point. For now, though, I am going to take a school break, as I really over-extended myself this past year. On top of school, I was still working fifty hours a week. I was happy to finish, but I was also really tired at the end.
- My wife experienced an injury last November, and has not worked since then, so we are making due with living on less money coming in to the household.
With everything else going on, I just needed to put the artwork thing on hold for a bit. Artwork updates will resume in August, starting with work that has been posted to the forums the last two years.
For starters, this site is now up to date with fresh, clean code, which fixes a lot of weird things that were wrong with the old site, including some stuff that I had not noticed until I rewrote everything. Everything is HTML5/CSS3 compliant, as far as I can tell. If you still notice anything weird, please let me know. On that note, though, I did not make an effort to support
old browsers. Recent versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari should be fine, along with IE11 and Edge. In IE10 and prior, things might not look as pretty, but everything should still be functional. I just do not have time right now to do all the extra little tweaks necessary to make things work with 0.5% of the MAME population. Everything I rewrote, I did looking toward the future.
Regarding phone browsers, I have not had time to test that out yet. I do at least want this site to work better on phones. That will come later, though, as most people that come here are coming for artwork downloads anyway, and that will be on a computer.
The MAME Artwork FTP, which was previously hosted on MAMEWorld, is now hosted by me, on a box that I have at home. If you would like to assist the MAME Artwork Project, contact me at MAMEWorld, and we can go from there.
That is it for now. Enjoy the new site, and we will have those Artwork Updates for you next month.
-- Mr. Do