MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1 | 2 |

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train.
#274701 - 02/01/12 05:46 PM


'Soul Train' creator Cornelius kills self





Oh for Pete's sake.



greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Posts: 376
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: Gor]
#274702 - 02/01/12 05:56 PM


That's unfortunate, its too bad nobody could help him and prevent such a tragedy. People who kill themselves really don't understand the damage they do to others by taking their lives.



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274703 - 02/01/12 06:05 PM



Quote:


People who kill themselves really don't understand the damage they do to others by taking their lives




That's a pretty bold statement on a very complex issue.

Perhaps in this case Don would have rather ended his life suddenly than continuing to suffer. That's not a selfish act as you've indicated. It's simply dying on your own terms, IMO a right that every person has.



greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Posts: 376
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: Hizzout]
#274705 - 02/01/12 07:22 PM


It's selfish as you're not caring about the consequences of your actions on others.

Sure you have the "right" to take the "easy" way out, but all the person committing suicide is thinking about is self.

People don't exist in a vacuum, their very existence has a larger influence on others than they realize.



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274706 - 02/01/12 07:32 PM


Wouldn't you think it would be just as hard on the family members to continue to watch their loved one suffer and waste away?


Quote:


Sure you have the "right" to take the "easy" way out




Wow....you really have no idea what you're talking about. What's it like living in such a black and white world?



Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 6449
Loc: Room 101
Send PM


Agree in oh so many ways (nt) new [Re: Hizzout]
#274707 - 02/01/12 07:45 PM


> People who kill themselves really don't understand the damage they do to others by
> taking their lives
>
> That's a pretty bold statement on a very complex issue.
>
> Perhaps in this case Don would have rather ended his life suddenly than continuing to
> suffer. That's not a selfish act as you've indicated. It's simply dying on your own
> terms, IMO a right that every person has.



Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...



mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Posts: 484
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: Hizzout]
#274708 - 02/01/12 07:46 PM


Hats off to Mr. Cornelius indeed.Hopefully he has found peace.



greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Posts: 376
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: Hizzout]
#274709 - 02/01/12 07:48 PM


It's "easy" in the sense that you're not dealing with the consequences of taking your life. Everything after you kill yourself is someone else responsibility.

I know a lot of people feel "Enlightened and Intellectual" by muddying right and wrong, but there are absolutes regarding right and wrong.

People are free to do "immoral" things, they can even "justify" them in their own minds, but in reality wrong is wrong.



mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Posts: 484
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274711 - 02/01/12 07:53 PM


> It's "easy" in the sense that you're not dealing with the consequences of taking your
> life. Everything after you kill yourself is someone else responsibility.
>
> I know a lot of people feel "Enlightened and Intellectual" by muddying right and
> wrong, but there are absolutes regarding right and wrong.
>
> People are free to do "immoral" things, they can even "justify" them in their own
> minds, but in reality wrong is wrong.

WOW.just WOW



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274712 - 02/01/12 08:02 PM



Quote:


I know a lot of people feel "Enlightened and Intellectual" by muddying right and wrong, but there are absolutes regarding right and wrong.




Decided by whom?



greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Posts: 376
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: Hizzout]
#274713 - 02/01/12 08:09 PM


I'm Christian so I'd say Jesus/God.

I'm not necessarily endorsing the church either.

But hey, as I mentioned, people are free to commit suicide, they're free to justify it in their minds, but they'll have to answer to Jesus for doing it.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274714 - 02/01/12 08:18 PM


> It's "easy" in the sense that you're not dealing with the consequences of taking your
> life. Everything after you kill yourself is someone else responsibility.
>
> I know a lot of people feel "Enlightened and Intellectual" by muddying right and
> wrong, but there are absolutes regarding right and wrong.
>
> People are free to do "immoral" things, they can even "justify" them in their own
> minds, but in reality wrong is wrong.

I watched my active and strong willed grandfather suffer with Parkinson's. He did EVERYTHING he could to fight the disease. There came a point where he couldn't wipe his own ass. He could have very easily ended it at that point, and no one would have thought him selfish, less of him, or that he was doing wrong by any deity. There is an elevated chance I will go the same way. Allowing myself to be a burden on my wife past the point of being an active participant in our life could be construde as selfish from my point of view...

When you watch someone lose their faculties, and then hang on for MONTHS as an empty shell of a person..your opinion might change.



mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Posts: 484
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274715 - 02/01/12 08:21 PM


So you have info that nobody else on this planet has huh? Please,this is a emulation site.Preach that stuff elsewhere

Oh and BTW,you have some big cahoonies to pass judgement on Don Cornelius,A man you do not know personally,or what he was or was not suffering with.

Edited by mesk (02/01/12 08:23 PM)



Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 5520
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM


Ban him again please new [Re: greybeard]
#274718 - 02/01/12 08:50 PM


> That's unfortunate, its too bad nobody could help him and prevent such a tragedy.
> People who kill themselves really don't understand the damage they do to others by
> taking their lives.



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274719 - 02/01/12 08:55 PM



Quote:


I'm Christian so I'd say Jesus/God.




AAAAaaaaannnd /discussion



aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Posts: 782
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: greybeard]
#274726 - 02/01/12 09:34 PM Attachment: ev200110.jpg 76 KB (1 downloads)


> But hey, as I mentioned, people are free to commit suicide, they're free to justify it in their minds, but they'll have to answer to Jesus for doing it.


This guy? I'd like to believe that if he actually exists this guy will take the time to weigh compassion and suffering against "sin". But that's just me.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: mesk]
#274728 - 02/01/12 09:50 PM


> Please,this is a emulation
> site.Preach that stuff elsewhere
>


Quote:


The Loony Bin: Off-topic mayhem (rom/warez requests not permitted). Not for the faint hearted, or easily offended. Don't say we didn't warn you!







Anyway....

edit: Majority of post removed due to epic level of douchiness this topic has reached.

Since this is the way I believe - I would rather die naturally (without aid), and not put my blood on another person's hands, much less my own.

Edited by T0M (02/03/12 06:08 AM)



cats love mameowrld | ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ CoG ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs ᴍᴀᴄʜɪɴᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀʟʟ ʟɪғᴇ. | 🎀 α 🍒 | 🍃 ♐ 🌙



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


*snicker* [nt] new [Re: Sune]
#274729 - 02/01/12 09:59 PM


that's what you think



cats love mameowrld | ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ CoG ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs ᴍᴀᴄʜɪɴᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀʟʟ ʟɪғᴇ. | 🎀 α 🍒 | 🍃 ♐ 🌙



Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Posts: 893
Loc: Outland
Send PM


Re: Hats off to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train. new [Re: Gor]
#274753 - 02/02/12 03:57 AM


I may be wrong but, hadn't he been fighting cancer for a few years?



Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


. new [Re: greybeard]
#274776 - 02/02/12 06:15 AM


I am Christian Roman Catholic and it is a mortal sin to commit suicide, but can be forgiven by God. There's a misconception that some people think that it forever condemns you to hell... that's not true. Nonetheless, it's very sad. When somebody takes their own life, there's no way of knowing ALL the reasons why they did it. Even if they left a note explaining why, there is still more to it. Anyone that calls it a cowardly/easy way out, does not fully understand depression.






italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


PostingJustAPeriodInTheSubjectIsAnnoying AsHellPleaseStop <nt> new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274778 - 02/02/12 07:35 AM


> I am Christian Roman Catholic and it is a mortal sin to commit suicide, but can be
> forgiven by God. There's a misconception that some people think that it forever
> condemns you to hell... that's not true. Nonetheless, it's very sad. When somebody
> takes their own life, there's no way of knowing ALL the reasons why they did it. Even
> if they left a note explaining why, there is still more to it. Anyone that calls it a
> cowardly/easy way out, does not fully understand depression.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


. new [Re: italie]
#274788 - 02/02/12 08:45 AM


.......................................................................................................................






OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274789 - 02/02/12 08:47 AM


The reply was not in response to anyone's post. So that's why I used a period. I find annoying when people just write in the "Subject" and don't post anything below in the post. But I don't cry about it.






B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2549
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274793 - 02/02/12 09:11 AM


> There's a misconception that some people think that it forever
> condemns you to hell... that's not true.

How do you for sure know this?



DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Posts: 3980
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274795 - 02/02/12 09:15 AM


> The reply was not in response to anyone's post. So that's why I used a period.

Er, it was a response to the post you replied to, regardless of how you mangle the subject line. If you aren't responding to anyone in particular, you should probably just reply to the original post.

Also, the period is fucking annoying to click.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274796 - 02/02/12 09:32 AM


> The reply was not in response to anyone's post. So that's why I used a period. I find
> annoying when people just write in the "Subject" and don't post anything below in the
> post. But I don't cry about it.

Continue to be a jackass if you must. Don't let me get in your way.



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: B2K24]
#274797 - 02/02/12 10:31 AM


> > There's a misconception that some people think that it forever
> > condemns you to hell... that's not true.
>
> How do you for sure know this?

He probably believes you can pay a prie$t to pray them out of hell... "Indulgences" I think.

But I'm sure he can answer for himself.



Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Posts: 5732
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM


I use to watch Soul Train when I was a little boy. new [Re: Gor]
#274799 - 02/02/12 10:45 AM


I guest it the dances that I enjoy from it.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: B2K24]
#274800 - 02/02/12 11:25 AM


> > There's a misconception that some people think that it forever
> > condemns you to hell... that's not true.
>
> How do you for sure know this?

That's the belief of the Roman Catholic religion. I never said that it was for "sure". Personally, I believe it is for sure, but that is my belief. Everyone has their own beliefs.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: italie]
#274801 - 02/02/12 11:27 AM


> > The reply was not in response to anyone's post. So that's why I used a period. I
> find
> > annoying when people just write in the "Subject" and don't post anything below in
> the
> > post. But I don't cry about it.
>
> Continue to be a jackass if you must. Don't let me get in your way.

Me--><--italie



aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Posts: 782
Send PM


Two sucks and you blow? And you advertise this? _nt_ new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274802 - 02/02/12 11:33 AM





OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: DMala]
#274803 - 02/02/12 11:34 AM


Well, I don't have to click on anything because I use the "Flat" settings of the thread instead of the old "Threaded" settings. The Flat settings is the modern setting of forums these days. The Threaded settings is old and in my opinion, not practical to use.

So since I don't use the old Threaded settings, I think it's annoying when people just type in the Subject area and type nothing below in the Post/Body area. I don't even read the Subject heading of posts. The only time I read the Subject heading of a post is if they typed nothing in the Post/Body area.



TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 5126
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274807 - 02/02/12 01:22 PM


> Well, I don't have to click on anything because I use the "Flat" settings of the
> thread instead of the old "Threaded" settings. The Flat settings is the modern
> setting of forums these days. The Threaded settings is old and in my opinion, not
> practical to use.

I find it annoying when people reply without the quote they're replying to in flat mode, where posts are in order oldest to newest rather than directly under the post they reply to. It forces you to look at the subject and find the post which prompted it, so that you have some idea what a person is saying.

> So since I don't use the old Threaded settings, I think it's annoying when
> people just type in the Subject area and type nothing below in the Post/Body
> area. I don't even read the Subject heading of posts. The only time I read the
> Subject heading of a post is if they typed nothing in the Post/Body area.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


I should warn you, I'm a biter <nt> new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274809 - 02/02/12 01:52 PM



> Me--><--italie

I find that the smaller ones are easier to chew on as well.



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


Re: . [edit] new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274816 - 02/02/12 03:54 PM


> Well, I don't have to click on anything because I use the "Flat" settings of the
> thread instead of the old "Threaded" settings. The Flat settings is the modern
> setting of forums these days. The Threaded settings is old and in my opinion, not
> practical to use.
>
> So since I don't use the old Threaded settings, I think it's annoying when people
> just type in the Subject area and type nothing below in the Post/Body area. I don't
> even read the Subject heading of posts. The only time I read the Subject heading of a
> post is if they typed nothing in the Post/Body area.

@ me.

My apologies.

Edited by T0M (02/03/12 03:16 AM)



Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


... --- ... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274817 - 02/02/12 03:55 PM


> The Threaded settings is old and in my opinion, not practical to use.

Wrong.



greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Posts: 376
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#274829 - 02/02/12 05:54 PM


I believe that is between the person who commits suicide and God. I do believe committing suicide is a sin. I also believe we're all sinners and in need of Jesus Christ as our redeemer and savior. I believe Jesus is the Son of God. I believe Salvation comes through Him and not only believing in your heart that He's the Son of God, but proclaiming it.



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


(slow clap) new [Re: greybeard]
#274830 - 02/02/12 06:01 PM


Well I believe in none of that, and I'll proclaim it too.

What do I win?



Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 5520
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM


Re: dot new [Re: greybeard]
#274832 - 02/02/12 06:25 PM


> I also believe we're all sinners and in need of Jesus
> Christ as our redeemer and savior.

I believe that original sin is a concept invented by politicians as a means to control the population, get them to fear God, go to church, be quiet and follow the same rules.

According to your beliefs I'm surely a sinner but if I must I prefer to seek redemption and forgiveness within myself, and among the living, not some guy who died on a cross two thousand years ago who has nothing to do with me or my life.

This is called taking responsibility for your own actions, you should try it sometime.

S



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4451
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274833 - 02/02/12 06:49 PM


Ecconvb.> Well, I don't have to click on anything because I use the "Flat" settings of the
> thread instead of the old "Threaded" settings. The Flat settings is the modern
> setting of forums these days. The Threaded settings is old and in my opinion, not
> practical to use.
>

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but to make the inclination that flat is better because it's more "modern," while speaking in a forum that specializes in vintage video games, is cute.

I use threaded, because...

...I can choose which posts I want to read, and skip the one's I don't
...I can tell, at a glance, how many new replies a thread has AND who made those replies,for MULIPLE threads at once.
...I can more easily tell that a thread has branched off into two conversations
...I think it's more comfortable, like a cozy blanket.

So in "my" opinion, thread is the way to tread =D
(And... it is a pain to click on that period, especially on a phone, in my opinion.)
(Not saying you should change, just to accept that different people like things differently).



Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


Re: . new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274834 - 02/02/12 06:54 PM


> So in "my" opinion, thread is the way to tread =D

Mr. Do is correct.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


WINNING!!! (Again) Haven't lost one yet new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274847 - 02/02/12 10:08 PM



Quote:


Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but to make the inclination that flat is better because it's more "modern," while speaking in a forum that specializes
in vintage video games, is cute.



Yep, that's right, it is my opinion that I think it is better. And obviously, the majority of people who visit forums think likewise otherwise all the modern forums wouldn't be Flat. But, I get your reasoning for using Threaded... to each their own.


Quote:


And... it is a pain to click on that period, especially on a phone, in my opinion.
(Not saying you should change, just to accept that different people like things differently).



I don't need to accept it, because I already know that different people like things differently. I was not the one who brought it up and was crying about it... italie was. But I won't put just a period in the subject anymore, just for you, Do.



Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 574
Send PM


smells like ParaTard© in here <nt> new [Re: greybeard]
#274848 - 02/02/12 10:14 PM


!



GatinhoModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Posts: 5789
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM


. <nt> new [Re: italie]
#274849 - 02/02/12 10:19 PM


>>PostingJustAPeriodInTheSubjectIsAnnoying AsHellPleaseStop

>I find annoying when people just write in the "Subject" and don't post anything below in the post.

I think a mighty fine compromise would be a period subject with a no-text modifier...



*edit* I must say, what did they do to the forums, my God, look at the colors in that rainbow... I don't remember them being so brilliant before... they just pop right out at you... vibrant neon glowing from within... do you see that? That is some rainbow... wow.

Edited by Gatinho (02/02/12 10:21 PM)



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


I think you misread it new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#274850 - 02/02/12 10:25 PM



Quote:


T0m wrote this and then deleted it 12 hours later after realizing he was mistaken. There was more to it too that was deleted, but here is a portion of what he said:

What is so "practical" about having to click on every single reply to read all the posts? Is it not more efficient to simply scroll down seeing all the replies at once? But, if that's your opinion.... Lead a horse to water...



You must have misread it. I said I use Flat and not Threaded. I agree that it is more efficient to simply scroll down seeing all the replies at once instead of having to click on every single reply. That is the setting I use.



Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274854 - 02/02/12 10:53 PM


> Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but to make the inclination that
> flat is better because it's more "modern," while speaking in a forum that specializes
> in vintage video games, is cute.
> Yep, that's right, it is my opinion that I think it is better. And obviously, the
> majority of people who visit forums think likewise otherwise all the modern forums
> wouldn't be Flat. But, I get your reasoning for using Threaded... to each their own.
>
> And... it is a pain to click on that period, especially on a phone, in my opinion.
> (Not saying you should change, just to accept that different people like things
> differently).
> I don't need to accept it, because I already know that different people like things
> differently. I was not the one who brought it up and was crying about it... italie
> was. But I won't put just a period in the subject anymore, just for you, Do.

While I accept that you feel free to have an opinion, your opinion is wrong.



amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Posts: 290
Send PM


Re: dot new [Re: Sune]
#274855 - 02/02/12 10:59 PM


> I prefer to seek
> redemption and forgiveness within myself, and among the living,

I prefer to seek redemption within my local supermarket, and among the bottle return machines.



jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 5302
Loc: georgia
Send PM


soul train creator commits suicide <nt> new batch revolts new [Re: Gor]
#274858 - 02/02/12 11:25 PM





SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Posts: 16202
Send PM


Time and again in the past, the court has given orders to wipe them out new [Re: jopezu]
#274860 - 02/02/12 11:49 PM Attachment: 66vd6wa4i3pvv66p.jpg 37 KB (1 downloads)




[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 5520
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM


Re: dot new [Re: amused]
#274861 - 02/03/12 12:10 AM


> > I prefer to seek
> > redemption and forgiveness within myself, and among the living,
>
> I prefer to seek redemption within my local supermarket, and among the bottle return
> machines.

That's so much simpler. Unfortunately bottles aren't returnable in Brazil.

S



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: Gor]
#274863 - 02/03/12 12:14 AM



Quote:


While I accept that you feel free to have an opinion, your opinion is wrong.



How can my opinion be wrong? haha. I like Flat better than Threaded. How can my preference be wrong? It's an opinion/preference, there's no wrong or right. If you are referring to this statement I made:

Quote:


And obviously, the majority of people who visit forums think likewise otherwise all the modern forums wouldn't be Flat.



That is a fact.

So if anyone is wrong here, it is you. And you say you are a defender of common sense?..tahh



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274865 - 02/03/12 12:22 AM Attachment: 13117206.jpg 60 KB (1 downloads)




[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274866 - 02/03/12 12:23 AM


> While I accept that you feel free to have an opinion, your opinion is wrong.
> How can my opinion be wrong? haha. I like Flat better than Threaded. How can my
> preference be wrong? It's an opinion/preference, there's no wrong or right. If you
> are referring to this statement I made:
> And obviously, the majority of people who visit forums think likewise otherwise all
> the modern forums wouldn't be Flat.
> That is a fact.
>
> So if anyone is wrong here, it is you. You say you are a defender of common sense,
> but yet your comment saying that I am wrong, lacks common sense.

Look, you're wrong and it's obvious that you refuse to accept that you are wrong, so any further discussion
on this topic is a complete waste of time. You kids have a lot of learning to do.




OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: Gor]
#274867 - 02/03/12 12:26 AM


hahaha, there's nothing to be wrong about. You can't even point out what I'm wrong about because your an OFFENDER of common sense, haha.

I stated two things:

#1. My preference
#2. A fact

hahahaha

WINNING!!!!

Scoreboard:
Me = 2 ------- Gor = 0



Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274870 - 02/03/12 01:08 AM


> hahaha, there's nothing to be wrong about. You can't even point out what I'm wrong
> about because your an OFFENDER of common sense, haha.
>
> I stated two things:
>
> #1. My preference
> #2. A fact
>
> hahahaha
>
> WINNING!!!!
>
> Scoreboard:
> Me = 2 ------- Gor = 0


Quote:


And obviously, the majority of people who visit forums think likewise otherwise all the modern forums wouldn't be Flat.




Your definition of fact differs from that used by native English speakers. What you are saying is not a fact.
In fact, it's simply wrong. If you would like to provide some well-researched data to back up what you call
a fact, then we can have a discussion and maybe you will earn a point or two. Until then, I'm just going to
have to pull the "I'm a Hell of a lot smarter than you" card and leave it at that.

P.S. Your opinions is still wrong.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


new batch? eff that. That was my generation. <nt> Can't have it. new [Re: jopezu]
#274875 - 02/03/12 02:09 AM Attachment: takinitback.jpg 493 KB (1 downloads)


Taking it back.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: Gor]
#274878 - 02/03/12 02:30 AM


The reason why every new forum is Flat and not Threaded is because obviously people prefer Flat more than the old Threaded. If people prefered Threaded more than Flat, than the new forums would be Threaded instead of Flat. I don't need to provide research to back up it up. It's common sense here. If majority of people prefered Threaded over Flat, than wouldn't all the new forums be Threaded instead of Flat?

Gor = The OFFENDER of common sense.

Scoreboard:

Me = 3 ----- Gor = 0

Boy do I love winning. Whooo-hooo!



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274880 - 02/03/12 02:42 AM



You're pretty flat lately. Doesn't mean people prefer you...


> The reason why every new forum is Flat and not Threaded is because obviously people
> prefer Flat more than the old Threaded. If people prefered Threaded more than Flat,
> than the new forums would be Threaded instead of Flat. I don't need to provide
> research to back up it up. It's common sense here. If majority of people prefered
> Threaded over Flat, than wouldn't all the new forums be Threaded instead of Flat?
>
> Gor = The OFFENDER of common sense.
>
> Scoreboard:
>
> Me = 3 ----- Gor = 0
>
> Boy do I love winning. Whooo-hooo!



B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2549
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: italie]
#274888 - 02/03/12 02:50 AM


> You're pretty flat lately. Doesn't mean people prefer you...

Like mother like son my friend



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: italie]
#274890 - 02/03/12 02:53 AM



Quote:


You're pretty flat lately. Doesn't mean people prefer you...



Lame

I can't be trolled. I learned weeks ago. Your futile attempts have no affect on me. (Ok, now I'm being lame, but oh well... I FEEL GOOD. Time after time of winning really brings a smile to my face)

I'm the best around!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYcW1nEsGk



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274893 - 02/03/12 03:03 AM


> You're pretty flat lately. Doesn't mean people prefer you...
> Lame
>
> I can't be trolled. I learned weeks ago. Your futile attempts have no affect on me.

Well, that'd make sense if:

1 - I was actually trolling you.

2 - You hadn't replied.



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


Re: I think you misread it new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274895 - 02/03/12 03:20 AM


> What is so "practical" about having to click on every single reply to read all the
> posts? Is it not more efficient to simply scroll down seeing all the replies at once?
> But, if that's your opinion.... Lead a horse to water...
> You must have misread it. I said I use Flat and not Threaded. I agree that it is more
> efficient to simply scroll down seeing all the replies at once instead of having to
> click on every single reply. That is the setting I use.

Yes. Yes.

Apologies, Sorry, and excusing myself from the discussion. Goodnight.



BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Posts: 1585
Send PM


The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274896 - 02/03/12 03:34 AM


> Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but to make the inclination that
> flat is better because it's more "modern," while speaking in a forum that specializes
> in vintage video games, is cute.
> Yep, that's right, it is my opinion that I think it is better. And obviously, the
> majority of people who visit forums think likewise otherwise all the modern forums
> wouldn't be Flat. But, I get your reasoning for using Threaded... to each their own.
>
> And... it is a pain to click on that period, especially on a phone, in my opinion.
> (Not saying you should change, just to accept that different people like things
> differently).
> I don't need to accept it, because I already know that different people like things
> differently. I was not the one who brought it up and was crying about it... italie
> was. But I won't put just a period in the subject anymore, just for you, Do.

The moment you have to convince others you "win", it's the moment you pathetically lose big time.

And so far you haven't won a single one.

RDIT: I should also stop using long sentences in the subject, that could be annoying for phone web browsers users too.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: I think you misread it new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#274897 - 02/03/12 03:37 AM



Quote:


Yes. Yes.

Apologies, Sorry, and excusing myself from the discussion. Goodnight.



No problem, don't worry about it.

(The following is not directed to T0m at all. I'm just using this as an example to prove yet another point)...
So someone unknowingly agreed with me. But when they realized that they agreed with me, they excuse themselves from the discussion. This is the perfect example of how all the worms always blindly agree with someone like italie because they always have to kiss ass.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#274899 - 02/03/12 03:54 AM



Quote:


The moment you have to convince others you "win", it's the moment you patetically lose big time.

And so far you haven't won a single one.



I've proved that it's my opinion that I prefer Flat over Threaded.

Most of all, I proved that majority of the people prefer Flat too, otherwise all the new forums wouldn't be Flat. That is common sense.

So how did I win? My proving and displaying the point at hand. But I am winning most of all because nobody that blindly disagreed with me (because they always do because they are worms that kiss ass) can disprove or respond with a logical comeback to disprove the obvious/common sense that I stated.

The main debate is that I said majority of the people agree with me regarding the fact that most people prefer "Flat" instead of "Threaded". And I proved this because I stated the obvious that every new forum has "Flat" implemented instead of "Threaded". And nobody could come up with any kind of logical counter argument to the point at hand.

So therefore, I WIN. Just like I always do.

WHOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!

I'm not wasting anymore time on this. It's similiar to me saying the sky is blue and you guys saying the sky is yellow. I'm just not going to waste anymore of my breathe on you worms regarding this issue.



B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2549
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274900 - 02/03/12 03:59 AM


Dude you're a Fucking idiot. Go find more productive things to do with your time LOSER.



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4451
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274903 - 02/03/12 04:32 AM


> Most of all, I proved that majority of the people prefer Flat too, otherwise all the
> new forums wouldn't be Flat. That is common sense.


Well... no.


>
> So how did I win? My proving and displaying the point at hand. But I am winning most
> of all because nobody that blindly disagreed with me (because they always do because
> they are worms that kiss ass) can disprove or respond with a logical comeback to
> disprove the obvious/common sense that I stated.


Well... no.


> The main debate is that I said majority of the people agree with me regarding the
> fact that most people prefer "Flat" instead of "Threaded". And I proved this because
> I stated the obvious that every new forum has "Flat" implemented instead of
> "Threaded". And nobody could come up with any kind of logical counter argument to the
> point at hand.


Well... no.

I figured if I was gonna say the same thing three times, I'll just make it easy, and use the same words.

I have a whole explanation ready to go... but...


> So therefore, I WIN. Just like I always do.
>
> WHOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!
>
> I'm not wasting anymore time on this. It's similiar to me saying the sky is blue and
> you guys saying the sky is yellow. I'm just not going to waste anymore of my breathe
> on you worms regarding this issue.


... if you're not going to waste any more time on this, then I'm not either.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274904 - 02/03/12 04:51 AM



Quote:


I have a whole explanation ready to go... but...
... if you're not going to waste any more time on this, then I'm not either.



You have an explanation? Well your the first one with an explanation regarding the point at hand. All the other people were unable to muster anything related to the point at hand. All they were capable of saying were "Wrong" and side stepping the point at hand. So if you have an explanation, by all means, go for it.

You may have a logical explanation. But regardless of what your explanation is, the fact of the matter is, if most people preferred "Threaded" over "Flat", then they would find a way to make sure that the new forums were "Threaded". The matter how you look at it, if most people liked "Threaded", then that would be the setting of all the new forums instead of "Flat".



SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Posts: 16202
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274905 - 02/03/12 05:04 AM


You're obviously new. The moment you identified yourself as "Christian Roman Catholic" you sealed the deal on Techrat and Tom's lifetime friendships.

You've gotta friend in Jebus.



TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Posts: 2948
Loc: USA
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274906 - 02/03/12 05:06 AM


> I have a whole explanation ready to go... but...
> ... if you're not going to waste any more time on this, then I'm not either.
> You have an explanation? Well your the first one with an explanation regarding the
> point at hand. All the other people were unable to muster anything related to the
> point at hand. All they were capable of saying were "Wrong" and side stepping the
> point at hand. So if you have an explanation, by all means, go for it.
>
> You may have a logical explanation. But regardless of what your explanation is, the
> fact of the matter is, if most people preferred "Threaded" over "Flat", then they
> would find a way to make sure that the new forums were "Threaded". The matter how you
> look at it, if most people liked "Threaded", then that would be the setting of all
> the new forums instead of "Flat".

You said "Flat" 2 times, and "Threaded" 3 times in this message. That means - Threaded Wins!!!

If I may, might I suggest that you may want to heed these words:
"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, What might be right for you, may not be right for some."



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4451
Loc: California
Send PM


  new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274910 - 02/03/12 05:31 AM


> I have a whole explanation ready to go... but...
> ... if you're not going to waste any more time on this, then I'm not either.
> You have an explanation? Well your the first one with an explanation regarding the
> point at hand. All the other people were unable to muster anything related to the
> point at hand. All they were capable of saying were "Wrong" and side stepping the
> point at hand. So if you have an explanation, by all means, go for it.
>
> You may have a logical explanation. But regardless of what your explanation is, the
> fact of the matter is, if most people preferred "Threaded" over "Flat", then they
> would find a way to make sure that the new forums were "Threaded". The matter how you
> look at it, if most people liked "Threaded", then that would be the setting of all
> the new forums instead of "Flat".


Your whole selling point, with the words changed around a bit as how I am understanding them, part one: "Most forums on the internet are flat mode, so most forum users prefer flat mode."


Your hypothesis is based on not the fact that most users actually enjoy flat mode, but that they are apathetic to it. Just because there has been no worldwide outcry to change forums to threaded mode, doesn't mean the majority prefer it, just that they accept the change that forums software makers have made over the years.

I'll make a different analogy with the same logic: "Most people buy Coke made with corn syrup than with regular sugar, so Coke with corn syrup must taste better than Coke with regular sugar."

Most people I know that have tried both prefer real sugar, but because the HFCS version is cheaper to produce, and purchase, and is more widely available, it sells better, and is the most popular. That doesn't make it the best product, though.

Your whole selling point, with the words changed around a bit as how I am understanding them, part two: "All the other people were unable to muster anything related to the point at hand. All they were capable of saying were "Wrong" and side stepping the point at hand."

The way I've read the thread, all these people that said wrong, with no other explanation did the same as you: stated their opinion. They say wrong, because they prefer threaded mode better; they don't need an explanation, because it's their opinion. And you said no one gave an explanation of "wrong," yet I did, waaay earlier. So an explanation WAS given, and you actually congratulated me on the points I made.

So now going back to your first point, that flat mode is better because it is more popular...

That doesn't apply here, because we aren't talking about ALL of the websites out there, we're talking about MAMEWorld. And so far, there has been a large public outcry on THIS website that threaded mode is better, with no one really chiming in how flat mode is the superior of the two viewing modes.

So if we use your logic... "At MAMEWorld," threaded mode is better, because most users here prefer threaded mode.


Finally... REALLY? Worms? You start to lose credibility when you resort to name calling. You keep assuming that because people may agree with someone you dislike here, they are conforming to "be with the popular crowd." Maybe it's just because they agree, plain and simple.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#274911 - 02/03/12 05:31 AM


> You're obviously new. The moment you identified yourself as "Christian Roman
> Catholic" you sealed the deal on Techrat and Tom's lifetime friendships.
>
> You've gotta friend in Jebus.

Heartwarming story. Really it is.




Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1900
Loc: The basement
Send PM


Re: FAIL. new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274913 - 02/03/12 05:54 AM


> The reason why every new forum is Flat and not Threaded is because obviously people
> prefer Flat more than the old Threaded. If people prefered Threaded more than Flat,
> than the new forums would be Threaded instead of Flat. I don't need to provide
> research to back up it up. It's common sense here. If majority of people prefered
> Threaded over Flat, than wouldn't all the new forums be Threaded instead of Flat?
>
> Gor = The OFFENDER of common sense.
>
> Scoreboard:
>
> Me = 3 ----- Gor = 0
>
> Boy do I love winning. Whooo-hooo!

Your argument is based upon the false premise that all new forums use flat instead of threaded mode. That is incorrect.
Since the entire premise for your argument is false, your conclusion is impossible to reach. Perhaps you should take some
classes on logic. What I was suggesting was that you prove your original premise is correct, and then we can have a
discussion.

Everyone (except you, I guess) knows that using threaded mode is the way to go for discussion boards. Just ask any
slashdot or reddit user.

P.S. Thank you for keeping a count of how many times either one of us replies to one of my replies to you. It's cute,
like something my little sister would have done for me when she was 8.



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#274914 - 02/03/12 05:59 AM


> You're obviously new. The moment you identified yourself as "Christian Roman
> Catholic" you sealed the deal on Techrat and Tom's lifetime friendships.
>
> You've gotta friend in Jebus.

I'm a Protestant -fyi. I don't see how that makes me and OSG "friends".



SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Posts: 16202
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#274915 - 02/03/12 06:07 AM


What do you call a Catholic who lost his confession booth and childhood memories of being raped by a priest? A Protestant.



Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Posts: 6523
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM


Re: The moment you have to convince others you "win"... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#274916 - 02/03/12 06:14 AM


> What do you call a Catholic who lost his confession booth and childhood memories of
> being raped by a priest? A Protestant.

No. I'd call them a victim of someone wanting to abuse their power over someone that is weaker.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re:   new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274918 - 02/03/12 06:18 AM



Quote:


Your hypothesis is based on not the fact that most users actually enjoy flat mode, but that they are apathetic to it. Just because there has been no worldwide outcry to change forums to threaded mode, doesn't mean the majority prefer it, just that they accept the change that forums software makers have made over the years.



Majority of the forums of the past were "Threaded". But that was the past. Modern day, most forums are "Flat". Majority of new forums are set as "Flat" and even the already existing forums that were "Threaded" were revamped and changed to "Flat" by using a new website or program. The forums that exist today are OVERWHELMINGLY "Flat". It is so overwhelmingly that I never even knew what "Threaded" was until I visited MAMEWorld. Granted I am new, but I had visisted my forums before MAMEWorld and I never encountered "Threaded" forums.

Now why are today's forums overwhelmingly "Flat" when the past they used to be mostly "Threaded"? It changed from "Threaded" to "Flat" for a REASON/S. Software developers would not have made majority of the forums "Threaded" if that is not what the customer wanted. It's alot more efficient to have all the posts all together right under one another instead of having to click on every single individual post. It's all about business. If majority customers preferred "Threaded", then software developers never would had changed it to "Flat". They realized that it was much more preferred, more efficient, neater, more organized, etc. But most of all, it's what the customer wanted. They are out to make money. You are completely out of your mind if you think most people prefer "Threaded" rather than "Flat". Forums never would have changed from "Threaded" to "Flat" if that was the case. That is common sense. Maybe MAMEWorld members might prefer "Threaded", but I wasn't talking about just MAMEWorld members.


Quote:


That doesn't apply here, because we aren't talking about ALL of the websites out there, we're talking about MAMEWorld.



Not true. Throughout this whole discussion, I did not mention that I am talking only about MAMEWorld specifically. Throughout the whole discussion, I used the words "Majority of websites" and "websites" and "most websites".


Quote:


And so far, there has been a large public outcry on THIS website that threaded mode is better, with no one really chiming in how flat mode is the superior of the two viewing modes.



Not true. T0m unknowingly agreed with me saying that "Flat" was better. He edited/deleted his original post of when he unknowingly agreed with me. He apologized and admitted that he was mistaken because he thought I was supporting "Threaded". When he found out that he unknowingly agreed with me regarding "Flat", he said he was going to excuse himself from this conversation. Very convenient.


Quote:


Finally... REALLY? Worms? You start to lose credibility when you resort to name calling. You keep assuming that because people may agree with someone you dislike here, they are conforming to "be with the popular crowd." Maybe it's just because they agree, plain and simple.



Pleasseee. You are basically the only one who has ever countered with a response of the point in hand. Throughout every past discussion in old threads, everyone else would respond with no counters, nothing that has to do with the point in hand. They would always side step, talk around, overexaggerate, misinterpret, misunderstand, wrong assumptions, and flat out lie, etc. They would make a comment and I would prove them wrong and ask them to counter my response and they could never come up with anything. They would post a joking picture in response or something that has totally side stepped the issue.

And there are obviously people on this forum besides T0m and I that prefer "Flat" rather then "Threaded" but they are worms and obviously won't speak up. People on this forum always seem to have an opinion when they agree with certain people. But they are quiet little mice with no back bone when they disagree with those certain people.

And I'm even embarrassed to admit this but there was even an occasion where I had three house guests that were over a couple weeks ago and had them take a look at a past thread that I was having a discussion/debate with someone with a bunch of other members chiming in agreeing with the other party. Well I had the three house guests read the thread and I did not inform the three house guests which screename I was. In fact, they didn't even know that it was me involved in the conversation. I simply asked them to read the thread and tell me who they thought they agreed with. All three of them said "OldSchoolGamer but he/she shouldn't get so worked up about it". Which they were right about both things.



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re:   new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274924 - 02/03/12 06:46 AM Attachment: 8fod2tg.gif 538 KB (1 downloads)



Quote:


They would post a joking picture in response or something that has totally side stepped the issue.




[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2549
Send PM


Re:   new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274927 - 02/03/12 06:54 AM


Do you argue like this with your Girlfriend or wife?



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4451
Loc: California
Send PM


  new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274929 - 02/03/12 07:02 AM



> Now why are today's forums overwhelmingly "Flat" when the past they used to be mostly
> "Threaded"? It changed from "Threaded" to "Flat" for a REASON/S. Software developers
> would not have made majority of the forums "Threaded" if that is not what the
> customer wanted. It's alot more efficient to have all the posts all together right
> under one another instead of having to click on every single individual post.

Simply re-stating your hyphothesis without adding any additional proof or backup doesn't make it more correct.

The Microsoft Ribbon. This is something that customers never asked for; Microsoft simply updated their software because they, the software developer, decided it would be easier for the new end user. Lots of people didn't like it in the beginning, but they conformed, because that's how Office was now setup. Conformity <> Preference.

You're assuming software forum developers make flat default because the customer wants it. In reality, it's simply easier to program that way. Here's just one example:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=554439#p3040689

Another reply later down that same thread:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=554439#p3041743

When a website chooses forum software, it chooses based on how current the software is, and what kind of support they are going to get from the company that provides the software.

If the most up-to-date software that will receive support is phpbb flat mode, then that's usually the choice. That doesn't make the feature itself more popular, though. Admittedly, it's simply easier to program for.

Just like back to Office. Microsoft is going to stop support for 2002, so what choice does a business have but upgrade to 2007 or later to continue to receive software support. Doesn't mean the user likes it better; it's because it fits the business model better.


> Not true. Throughout this whole discussion, I did not mention that I am talking only
> about MAMEWorld specifically. Throughout the whole discussion, I used the words
> "Majority of websites" and "websites" and "most websites".


Right. YOU use the words "majority of websites." But you're only discussing it here, on this website, and the people replying are concerned about here, not everywhere else. So if you want to justify your point because people aren't arguing with you the way you want them to, then so be it.


> Not true. T0m unknowingly agreed with me saying that "Flat" was better. He
> edited/deleted his original post of when he unknowingly agreed with me. He apologized
> and admitted that he was mistaken because he thought I was supporting "Threaded".
> When he found out that he unknowingly agreed with me regarding "Flat", he said he was
> going to excuse himself from this conversation. Very convenient.

I was going to give you some slack on that one, but, all you do is disprove half my point; your reply completely ignores that the majority here like threaded better.



> Pleasseee. You are basically the only one who has ever countered with a response of
> the point in hand. Throughout every past discussion, everyone else would respond with
> no counters, nothing that has to do with the point in hand. They would always side
> step, talk around, overexaggerate, misinterpret, wrong assumptions, etc. They would
> make a comment and I would prove them wrong and ask them to counter my response and
> they could never come up with anything.
They would post a joking picture in response
> or something that has totally side stepped the issue.

Or maybe they just don't care to take the time to give a proper response.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re:  mr do new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274931 - 02/03/12 07:07 AM


added some more text to my previous post. But I'm done. I wanted to let you get your explanation in and I wanted to hear your explanation since you are, like I said, basically one of the few people here who can hold a legitamite discussion of the point in hand. So I heard your explanation and you heard mine. I'm moving on now.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Added text that I added new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274932 - 02/03/12 07:12 AM


And there are obviously people on this forum besides T0m and I that prefer "Flat" rather then "Threaded" but they are worms and obviously won't speak up. People on this forum always seem to have an opinion when they agree with certain people. But they are quiet little mice with no back bone when they disagree with those certain people.

And I'm even embarrassed to admit this but there was even an occasion where I had three house guests that were over a couple weeks ago and had them take a look at a past thread that I was having a discussion/debate with someone with a bunch of other members chiming in agreeing with the other party. Well I had the three house guests read the thread and I did not inform the three house guests which screename I was. In fact, they didn't even know that it was me involved in the conversation. I simply asked them to read the thread and tell me who they thought they agreed with. All three of them said "OldSchoolGamer but he/she shouldn't get so worked up about it". Which they were right about both things.

Majority of internet users would not want to individually click every single post to beable to read them instead of having them all in order, organized, on the same page, and right under one another.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re:  mr do new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274933 - 02/03/12 07:12 AM


> added some more text to my previous post. But I'm done. I wanted to let you get your
> explanation in and I wanted to hear your explanation since you are, like I said,
> basically one of the few people here who can hold a legitamite discussion of the
> point in hand. So I heard your explanation and you heard mine. I'm moving on now.




StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Posts: 6236
Send PM


Mr. Do Wins! 4-1 *nt* new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274934 - 02/03/12 07:13 AM





krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Posts: 4186
Send PM


Re:  mr do new [Re: italie]
#274935 - 02/03/12 07:14 AM Attachment: yo-dawg-yo-yos.jpg 54 KB (1 downloads)


> > added some more text to my previous post. But I'm done. I wanted to let you get
> your
> > explanation in and I wanted to hear your explanation since you are, like I said,
> > basically one of the few people here who can hold a legitamite discussion of the
> > point in hand. So I heard your explanation and you heard mine. I'm moving on now.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: Added text that I added new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274936 - 02/03/12 07:15 AM Attachment: 399430_248487711888115_107846889285532_651325_2051492506_n.jpg 41 KB (1 downloads)



> And I'm even embarrassed to admit this but there was even an occasion where I had
> three house guests that were over a couple weeks ago and had them take a look at a
> past thread that I was having a discussion/debate with someone with a bunch of other
> members chiming in agreeing with the other party. Well I had the three house guests
> read the thread and I did not inform the three house guests which screename I was.

If you need an outside reference to determine your sanity, it's already gone man....

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


krick 45, italie 3 <nt> new [Re: krick]
#274938 - 02/03/12 07:17 AM





Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4451
Loc: California
Send PM


Re:  mr do new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274940 - 02/03/12 07:21 AM


> added some more text to my previous post. But I'm done. I wanted to let you get your
> explanation in and I wanted to hear your explanation since you are, like I said,
> basically one of the few people here who can hold a legitimate discussion of the
> point in hand. So I heard your explanation and you heard mine. I'm moving on now.


So rather than debate my counter, you change your original post, based upon comments in my reply, and don't mark what you changed, to try and strengthen your point?

Doesn't work that way.

And you're still trying to back up your point by simply repeating the same thing over again, rather than have some basis in fact.

For ease of use, I'll post the part you added here:


Quote:



It's alot more efficient to have all the posts all together right under one another instead of having to click on every single individual post. It's all about business. If majority customers preferred "Threaded", then software developers never would had changed it to "Flat". They realized that it was much more preferred, more efficient, neater, more organized, etc. But most of all, it's what the customer wanted. They are out to make money. You are completely out of your mind if you think most people prefer "Threaded" rather than "Flat". Forums never would have changed from "Threaded" to "Flat" if that was the case. That is common sense. Maybe MAMEWorld members might prefer "Threaded", but I wasn't talking about just MAMEWorld members.





You're still assuming flat mode is to make customers happy. You're right in that they are out to make money. But all the "facts" you put up above (more efficient, neater, more organized, etc., etc.,) were posted in that thread that I linked to by a programmer of the phpbb software. That is how he likes it, so that's how he programmed it. You neglected the info about how he said that threaded mode was more complicated to implement (I'm not going to bother, as it's time for bed).

Have a good night. MAME on!



B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2549
Send PM


Re:  mr do new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274941 - 02/03/12 07:24 AM


Somebody call his mama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WmZPGrfE24&feature=related



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: Added text that I added new [Re: italie]
#274942 - 02/03/12 07:25 AM


Dude.....he's got house guests. HOUSE GUESTS.



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274943 - 02/03/12 07:27 AM


So if there was a world wide poll and every internet user voted on what they preferred, "Flat" or "Threaded", which setting would have the most overall votes?

Exactly, that's my whole point. "Flat" would definitely receive more votes. So many people (especially kids) have never even experienced "Threaded". So they would prefer "Flat" just for the simple fact that they never even used "Threaded". Just the kids factor alone would tip the balance to "Flat". And for the people who has experienced both, "Flat" would still receive more votes. So the matter how you slice it or how you look at the matter, "Flat" is the more preferred settimg.

I'm the best around!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYcW1nEsGk



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274945 - 02/03/12 07:33 AM


> So if there was a world wide poll and every internet user voted on what they
> preferred, "Flat" or "Threaded", which setting would have the most overall votes?
>
> Exactly, that's my whole point. "Flat" would definitely receive more votes. So many
> people (especially kids) have never even experienced "Threaded". So they would prefer
> "Flat" just for the simple fact that they never even used "Threaded". And for the
> people who has experienced both, "Flat" would still receive more votes. So the matter
> how you slice it or how you look at the matter, "Flat" is the more preferred settimg.
>
> I'm the best around!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYcW1nEsGk


Back up your point or I start arguing over the medicinal value of pork.



krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Posts: 4186
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274946 - 02/03/12 07:35 AM





italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: Added text that I added new [Re: Hizzout]
#274947 - 02/03/12 07:35 AM


> Dude.....he's got house guests. HOUSE GUESTS.

Go on...




Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4451
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#274948 - 02/03/12 07:36 AM


> So if there was a world wide poll and every internet user voted on what they
> preferred, "Flat" or "Threaded", which setting would have the most overall votes?
>
> Exactly, that's my whole point. "Flat" would definitely receive more votes. So many
> people (especially kids) have never even experienced "Threaded". So they would prefer
> "Flat" just for the simple fact that they never even used "Threaded". And for the
> people who has experienced both, "Flat" would still receive more votes. So the matter
> how you slice it or how you look at the matter, "Flat" is the more preferred settimg.
>
> I'm the best around!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYcW1nEsGk

Still cracking up that this is the whole basis of your "facts" :


10 PRINT "I AM RIGHT"
20 GOTO 10



// I thought we were goin' to bed?



krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Posts: 4186
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: italie]
#274950 - 02/03/12 07:40 AM


>
> Back up your point or I start arguing over the medicinal value of pork.


Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: krick]
#274952 - 02/03/12 07:42 AM


> >
> > Back up your point or I start arguing over the medicinal value of pork.
>
>
> Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is
> east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they
> taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

Birds fly toward blue during the honching season. Yeah. I went there.



Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Posts: 4823
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274953 - 02/03/12 07:42 AM Attachment: Bii55.jpg 548 KB (1 downloads)




[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment



OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Posts: 590
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM


Re: poll new [Re: Mr. Do]
#274957 - 02/03/12 07:48 AM


90% of the internet uses "Flat" now. Just on the basis that so many people are used to it and don't want change would make "Flat" win.

The kids factor, in that they never even seen/tried "Threaded", would make "Flat" win.

The factor that "Flat" is just plain and simple better and more efficient, would make "Flat" win.

I'm not going to hunt for articles, etc. for something so obvious. If I say the sky is blue, I'm not going to waste my time searching articles on the internet to show that it is blue.

There is overwhelming evidence that "Flat" would win. "Threaded" would have a better chance of hitting the lottery than beating "Flat" in a fight.


Pages: 1 | 2 |

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 19448