MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Posts: 16019
Send PM


MAME .145
#275238 - 02/05/12 10:37 PM


http://mamedev.org/

0.145
-------
Happy 15th Anniversary! Over its 15 years of existence since MAME
0.01 was released for MS-DOS with an initial library of 5 sets, MAME
has grown exponentially to the point that no one thought we would be,
boasting 18,650 different sets and operable on more OS platforms than
thought possible. While video-based arcade games were the original
targets for MAME, the scope of the project has grown to include
documentation of virtually all coin-operated amusement devices
including gambling (video/slots), coin droppers, pinball machines and
more. Through the efforts of the literally thousands of developers,
players and others who have provided assistance and feedback over the
project's history, we would like to thank all of them that made this
possible!

MAMETesters Bugs Fixed
----------------------
- 04455: [Crash/Freeze] All sets in cliffhgr.c: Crash/assert and
graphic issues (Aaron Giles)
- 04644: [Core] Tilemap viewer always broken / displays in shades of
Blue (Aaron Giles)
- 04607: [Graphics] All sets in cliffhgr.c: Video playback is faulty -
screen flashes (Aaron Giles)
- 04656: [Misc.] Various Sets: "Timer Error" shows before start of
game each time, showing odd time during setting (Angelo
Salese)
- 04661: [Crash/Freeze] calchase: Assert while doing initial memory
test (Carl)
- 04622: [Crash/Freeze] anmlbskt: Crash before OK (R. Belmont)
- 04636: [Crash/Freeze] mquake: [debug] Exception after OK
(R. Belmont)
- 04654: [Timing] All sets in stv.c: All sets do not start or play
correctly (Timing, Auto Credit, Sound) (R. Belmont)
- 04650: [Documentation] m1coro11n, m1coro11np, m1coro12n, m1coro12np,
m1coro21n, m1coro21np, m1coro22n, m1coro31p, m1coro32n,
m1coro32np: Game descriptions contain a TAB character.
- 04648: [Graphics] All sets in btime.c: Misplaced graphics for player
2 in cocktail mode (hap)
- 04635: [Graphics] terrafb, terrafjb: [debug] Graphics corruption on
both sides of the screen (David Haywood)
- 04632: [Crash/Freeze] oldsplus: [debug] Assert before OK (David
Haywood)
- 04626: [DIP/Input] ddragon2 and clones: Wrong dipswitch settings -
default settings
- 04647: [DIP/Input] cabal and all clones: "Bonus Lives" settings are
wrong (stephh)
- 04628: [Crash/Freeze] agress, agressb: Black screen (R. Belmont)
- 03444: [Debugger] Registered ram blocks registered with save state
cannot be viewed with debugger (R. Belmont)

Source Changes
--------------
Fixed disassembly of far jump instructions in the u'nSP core [trap15]

Correct loading for dragngun video data, identified as standard DVI
data [David Haywood]

Slight fix to the way captaven rasters were handled [David Haywood]

Added proper widescreen layout on Super Chase [David Haywood]

Improved inputs in Tourvision driver [Stephh]

Added sprites wrap-around in Donkey Kong HW, seen in DK3 when clearing
stage 1 [hap]

chd: Fix error where FLAC was encoding 4 times too much data (samples
vs. bytes) [David Haywood]

Converted Boogie Wings to generic sprite device plus added manual
mixing. Converted various bootleg implementations of the chip to use
the common code as well. (tumbleb.c, esd16.c, crospang.c, nmg5.c)
[David Haywood]

Implemented preliminary support for Trident SVGA cards, fixes graphics
in California Chase loading screen [Grull Osgo, Angelo Salese]

Hooked up inputs and sound in california chase, game is now more or
less working without steer inputs and still needs the user to launch
boot.exe first from MS-DOS prompt. [Grull Osgo, Angelo Salese]

Various wav/flac sample changes: [David Haywood]
* Remove hardcoded ".wav" sample extensions from within drivers
* Update samples.c to check for both .flac and .wav extensions when
loading a sample
* Made sample loading failure a bit more verbose (various zips
contained 0 byte samples, I assume to keep clrmame happy or
something)
* Fixed memory allocation with 8-bit flac samples

Act Fancer: fixed background tilemap size, corrects level boss bg
(partial fix for MT #4585) [David Haywood]

RDP optimizations and memory system shunting in N64 driver; relative
speedup of 1.4x to 1.5x [MooglyGuy]

Truco Tron reverse engineering [Roberto Fresca]
* Identified and added EF6821P PIA for I/O.
* Identified and added the CRTC as HD/UM6845.
* Identified a Maxim MAX691 and hooked watchdog/reset functions based
on the PIA line where is tied. Also hooked others minor related
things.
* Identified a Darlington Array ULN2003.
* Added correct clocks for main crystal, CPU and CRTC through
#define.
* Improved inputs/jumpers with PCB traces.
* Added technical notes.

Model 1: add skeleton device for Z80 version of the MPEG sound board.
No playback, just running the Z80. [R. Belmont]



New games added or promoted from NOT_WORKING status
---------------------------------------------------
Street Games II [Angelo Salese, Mariusz Wojcieszek]
Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Spank'em!)
[R. Mucciarelli, pongplaya, ranger_lennier, Kevin Eshbach, gamerfan,
M. Ponweiser, emuLOAD, R. Gatzke, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union,
Pierpaolo Prazzoli]


New clones added
----------------
Warriors of Fate ('sgyxz' bootleg) (not working) [angelosa]
Print Club 2 Felix The Cat (Rev. A)
[f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Print Club 2 '98 Spring Ver
[f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Hyperspace (bootleg of Asteroids) [Byte Surfer]
Tekken Tag Tournament (Asia, TEG2/VER.C1, set 1)
[Brian Troha, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
X-Men (4 Players ver ADA) [Bonky0013]
Print Club Goukakenran (J 991104 V1.000)
[f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Print Club Olive (J 980717 V1.000)
[f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Print Club 2 '98 Autumn Ver (J 980827 V1.000)
[f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Print Club Kome Kome Club (J 970203 V1.000)
[f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Ultimate Arctic Thunder [gamerfan, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
Dumped HDD for Photo Play 2000 v2.01 [Team Europe]


New games marked as GAME_NOT_WORKING
------------------------------------
Dungeon Explorer (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
[Charles McDonald, Clawgrip, AUMAP]
Unknown BMC Poker Game
Gone Fishing 2
Chess Challenge 2 [SoftwareThis]
EZ Touch [XingXing]
Sega Shooting Zone
Bounty Hunter [Gatinho]



Kitsune Sniper
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Posts: 2217
Send PM


Happy birthday, MAME! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275243 - 02/05/12 10:58 PM


> http://mamedev.org/
>
> 0.145
> -------
> Happy 15th Anniversary! Over its 15 years of existence since MAME
> 0.01 was released for MS-DOS with an initial library of 5 sets, MAME
> has grown exponentially to the point that no one thought we would be,
> boasting 18,650 different sets and operable on more OS platforms than
> thought possible. While video-based arcade games were the original
> targets for MAME, the scope of the project has grown to include
> documentation of virtually all coin-operated amusement devices
> including gambling (video/slots), coin droppers, pinball machines and
> more. Through the efforts of the literally thousands of developers,
> players and others who have provided assistance and feedback over the
> project's history, we would like to thank all of them that made this
> possible!
>
> MAMETesters Bugs Fixed
> ----------------------
> - 04455: [Crash/Freeze] All sets in cliffhgr.c: Crash/assert and
> graphic issues (Aaron Giles)
> - 04644: [Core] Tilemap viewer always broken / displays in shades of
> Blue (Aaron Giles)
> - 04607: [Graphics] All sets in cliffhgr.c: Video playback is faulty -
> screen flashes (Aaron Giles)
> - 04656: [Misc.] Various Sets: "Timer Error" shows before start of
> game each time, showing odd time during setting (Angelo
> Salese)
> - 04661: [Crash/Freeze] calchase: Assert while doing initial memory
> test (Carl)
> - 04622: [Crash/Freeze] anmlbskt: Crash before OK (R. Belmont)
> - 04636: [Crash/Freeze] mquake: [debug] Exception after OK
> (R. Belmont)
> - 04654: [Timing] All sets in stv.c: All sets do not start or play
> correctly (Timing, Auto Credit, Sound) (R. Belmont)
> - 04650: [Documentation] m1coro11n, m1coro11np, m1coro12n, m1coro12np,
> m1coro21n, m1coro21np, m1coro22n, m1coro31p, m1coro32n,
> m1coro32np: Game descriptions contain a TAB character.
> - 04648: [Graphics] All sets in btime.c: Misplaced graphics for player
> 2 in cocktail mode (hap)
> - 04635: [Graphics] terrafb, terrafjb: [debug] Graphics corruption on
> both sides of the screen (David Haywood)
> - 04632: [Crash/Freeze] oldsplus: [debug] Assert before OK (David
> Haywood)
> - 04626: [DIP/Input] ddragon2 and clones: Wrong dipswitch settings -
> default settings
> - 04647: [DIP/Input] cabal and all clones: "Bonus Lives" settings are
> wrong (stephh)
> - 04628: [Crash/Freeze] agress, agressb: Black screen (R. Belmont)
> - 03444: [Debugger] Registered ram blocks registered with save state
> cannot be viewed with debugger (R. Belmont)
>
> Source Changes
> --------------
> Fixed disassembly of far jump instructions in the u'nSP core [trap15]
>
> Correct loading for dragngun video data, identified as standard DVI
> data [David Haywood]
>
> Slight fix to the way captaven rasters were handled [David Haywood]
>
> Added proper widescreen layout on Super Chase [David Haywood]
>
> Improved inputs in Tourvision driver [Stephh]
>
> Added sprites wrap-around in Donkey Kong HW, seen in DK3 when clearing
> stage 1 [hap]
>
> chd: Fix error where FLAC was encoding 4 times too much data (samples
> vs. bytes) [David Haywood]
>
> Converted Boogie Wings to generic sprite device plus added manual
> mixing. Converted various bootleg implementations of the chip to use
> the common code as well. (tumbleb.c, esd16.c, crospang.c, nmg5.c)
> [David Haywood]
>
> Implemented preliminary support for Trident SVGA cards, fixes graphics
> in California Chase loading screen [Grull Osgo, Angelo Salese]
>
> Hooked up inputs and sound in california chase, game is now more or
> less working without steer inputs and still needs the user to launch
> boot.exe first from MS-DOS prompt. [Grull Osgo, Angelo Salese]
>
> Various wav/flac sample changes: [David Haywood]
> * Remove hardcoded ".wav" sample extensions from within drivers
> * Update samples.c to check for both .flac and .wav extensions when
> loading a sample
> * Made sample loading failure a bit more verbose (various zips
> contained 0 byte samples, I assume to keep clrmame happy or
> something)
> * Fixed memory allocation with 8-bit flac samples
>
> Act Fancer: fixed background tilemap size, corrects level boss bg
> (partial fix for MT #4585) [David Haywood]
>
> RDP optimizations and memory system shunting in N64 driver; relative
> speedup of 1.4x to 1.5x [MooglyGuy]
>
> Truco Tron reverse engineering [Roberto Fresca]
> * Identified and added EF6821P PIA for I/O.
> * Identified and added the CRTC as HD/UM6845.
> * Identified a Maxim MAX691 and hooked watchdog/reset functions based
> on the PIA line where is tied. Also hooked others minor related
> things.
> * Identified a Darlington Array ULN2003.
> * Added correct clocks for main crystal, CPU and CRTC through
> #define.
> * Improved inputs/jumpers with PCB traces.
> * Added technical notes.
>
> Model 1: add skeleton device for Z80 version of the MPEG sound board.
> No playback, just running the Z80. [R. Belmont]
>
>
> New games added or promoted from NOT_WORKING status
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Street Games II [Angelo Salese, Mariusz Wojcieszek]
> Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Spank'em!)
> [R. Mucciarelli, pongplaya, ranger_lennier, Kevin Eshbach, gamerfan,
> M. Ponweiser, emuLOAD, R. Gatzke, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union,
> Pierpaolo Prazzoli]
>
>
> New clones added
> ----------------
> Warriors of Fate ('sgyxz' bootleg) (not working) [angelosa]
> Print Club 2 Felix The Cat (Rev. A)
> [f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Print Club 2 '98 Spring Ver
> [f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Hyperspace (bootleg of Asteroids) [Byte Surfer]
> Tekken Tag Tournament (Asia, TEG2/VER.C1, set 1)
> [Brian Troha, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> X-Men (4 Players ver ADA) [Bonky0013]
> Print Club Goukakenran (J 991104 V1.000)
> [f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Print Club Olive (J 980717 V1.000)
> [f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Print Club 2 '98 Autumn Ver (J 980827 V1.000)
> [f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Print Club Kome Kome Club (J 970203 V1.000)
> [f205v, ranger_lennier, dopefishjustin, Yohji, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Ultimate Arctic Thunder [gamerfan, Smitdogg, The Dumping Union]
> Dumped HDD for Photo Play 2000 v2.01 [Team Europe]
>
>
> New games marked as GAME_NOT_WORKING
> ------------------------------------
> Dungeon Explorer (Tourvision PCE bootleg)
> [Charles McDonald, Clawgrip, AUMAP]
> Unknown BMC Poker Game
> Gone Fishing 2
> Chess Challenge 2 [SoftwareThis]
> EZ Touch [XingXing]
> Sega Shooting Zone
> Bounty Hunter [Gatinho]

Three more years and we can get you some drinks!



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275244 - 02/05/12 11:04 PM


Happy 15th Anniversary MAMEDev and too everyone.






grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Posts: 405
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#275247 - 02/05/12 11:05 PM



god bless everyone involved.

god bless you i say!




METRODUCK
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Posts: 834
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: grog]
#275248 - 02/05/12 11:09 PM


> god bless everyone involved.
>
> god bless you i say!

here to another 15 years keep up the great work look forward to every release like a kid in a candy store



Hats off to Tessa west 6/13/1981 -7/11/09



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275251 - 02/05/12 11:12 PM


Thanks to all involved!



AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Posts: 2438
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: METRODUCK]
#275257 - 02/05/12 11:43 PM


> > god bless everyone involved.
> >
> > god bless you i say!
>
> here to another 15 years keep up the great work look forward to every release like a
> kid in a candy store

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Marvellawesometastic!




Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!




B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275258 - 02/05/12 11:44 PM


Once again it's announced before it can be downloaded from mamedev.org






SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Posts: 16019
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#275259 - 02/05/12 11:46 PM


Poor baby, grab a tissue.



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#275260 - 02/05/12 11:46 PM


Get the source here and compile it yourself...
http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=3e6ab0e80a7e503b9faf503fbd87cfbe586f2389



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: redk9258]
#275262 - 02/05/12 11:53 PM


> Get the source here and compile it yourself...
> http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=3e6ab0e80a7e503b9faf503fbd87cfbe586f2389

I already know how to do that, but many others don't.
Also, That's not mamedev.org

And why aren't your usual binaries posted by now?






redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#275263 - 02/05/12 11:56 PM


> And why aren't your usual binaries posted by now?

Because it is not a "u" release.



MetalliC
Demul team
Reged: 03/20/09
Posts: 139
Loc: UA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275265 - 02/06/12 12:20 AM


Happy anniversary and good luck!

> New games added or promoted from NOT_WORKING status
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Spank'em!)

sounds weird, but thumbs up!

Edited by MetalliC (02/06/12 12:23 AM)



CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Posts: 342
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275266 - 02/06/12 12:35 AM


Happy Anniversary to MAME guys and all of its contributors... All of you (and we, the users, of course) deserve...


Quote:


* Update samples.c to check for both .flac and .wav extensions when loading a sample




And here my MAMEDev feed didn't work too... I just have know because I was checking some frontends on EmuCR and saw some comments about that release... Even refreshing my feed client nothing happened... Anyway, congrats, people!



"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."



Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Posts: 155
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#275267 - 02/06/12 12:38 AM


> > Get the source here and compile it yourself...
> > http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=3e6ab0e80a7e503b9faf503fbd87cfbe586f2389
>
> I already know how to do that, but many others don't.
> Also, That's not mamedev.org
>
> And why aren't your usual binaries posted by now?

I tell you a secret:

Try going back and forward on the file you're interested to, the proper dl should kick in after various tries (rate should be 1/5 by now).



StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Posts: 6222
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: CptGuapo]
#275268 - 02/06/12 12:42 AM


> And here my MAMEDev feed didn't work too...

It's not on the main page yet.

- Stiletto



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275269 - 02/06/12 12:57 AM


> Poor baby, grab a tissue.

How about I use your cape.


Oh well, I guess it can wait after SuperBowl






Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Posts: 248
Loc: Brasil
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275275 - 02/06/12 02:09 AM


Happy anniversary and thanks very much.



Cyberzinho Punk
Reged: 12/31/09
Posts: 182
Loc: São José dos Campos, SP, Brazil
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275286 - 02/06/12 03:21 AM


Happy Anniversary and long life to MAME!!!!




Sorry, my English is bad!!!
Slackware Linux 14.2 beta 2/Fluxbox 1.3.7
Linux user #438128
MAME for Slackware



grobda
Tank with very high rate of fire plasma weapon and Quantum shield.
Reged: 06/13/07
Posts: 160
Loc: The Zone
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275293 - 02/06/12 04:48 AM


Viva Mame !



Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Posts: 131
Loc: UK
Send PM


Re: Happy birthday, MAME! new [Re: Kitsune Sniper]
#275336 - 02/06/12 02:59 PM


Happy Birthday and thanks to every Dev past and present



9ofzeven
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/05
Posts: 124
Loc: Austria
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: MetalliC]
#275340 - 02/06/12 03:51 PM


> > Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Spank'em!)
>
> sounds weird, but thumbs up!

It's probably one of the few games which I didn't want to have my name ASSociated with (as a DU donator) There goes my career if anyone does a background check...



AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Posts: 2249
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275346 - 02/06/12 04:48 PM


Happy Anniversary MAME!



Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Posts: 460
Send PM


Congrats to All... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275373 - 02/06/12 11:02 PM Attachment: Retrocadebabe.PNG 177 KB (1 downloads)


...That is quite an accomplishment. I appreciate all the time and effort that has gone into this project. All involved should be proud. MAME is quite amazing in so many ways and aspects.

I'm very thankful MAME never ended up like DASArcade/Sparcade or Retrocade and has continued for all these years.

It wouldn't hurt MAME to recruit a RetroBabe* though.

-Trebor

*Either clothe or birthday-suit.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment



greybeard
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/27/10
Posts: 376
Send PM


Isn't that Mr. Do and Andrew's job? new [Re: Trebor]
#275377 - 02/06/12 11:50 PM


Maybe they would collaborate on a MAME BABE artwork project?




Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Posts: 1160
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: 9ofzeven]
#275392 - 02/07/12 02:46 AM


> > > Boong-Ga Boong-Ga (Spank'em!)
> >
> > sounds weird, but thumbs up!
>
> It's probably one of the few games which I didn't want to have my name ASSociated
> with (as a DU donator) There goes my career if anyone does a background check...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4he79krseU



Lewis King
Reged: 12/25/11
Posts: 334
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Master O]
#275394 - 02/07/12 03:10 AM


Smitdogg Unknown BMC Poker Game - I smell a Ryu Vs Ken from BMC Version!

Update: I saw the in GFX program. They have bingo letters is not what i was expected.



cricri_pingouin
Reged: 10/17/03
Posts: 233
Send PM


Catlist update? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#275440 - 02/07/12 07:17 PM


Yay, happy birthday! *feels old*

Anyone knows if there is anyone working on updating the CatList anymore? I need it to run MCM2 and clean up all the unwanted gambling games shit crap junk stuff.



R. Belmont
Cuckoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9586
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: Congrats to All... new [Re: Trebor]
#275444 - 02/07/12 08:46 PM


> I'm very thankful MAME never ended up like DASArcade/Sparcade or Retrocade and has
> continued for all these years.
>
> It wouldn't hurt MAME to recruit a RetroBabe* though.

Why do you think Retrocade didn't continue? All the devs would launch it to test some addition and then get side-tracked fapping.



Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Posts: 460
Send PM


LOL! [nt] new [Re: R. Belmont]
#275446 - 02/07/12 08:52 PM


.



Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM


Re: Happy birthday, MAME! new [Re: Cable]
#275449 - 02/07/12 09:26 PM


Maybe its time I upgraded from .84...

Happy 15th.



mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Posts: 484
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM


Re: Happy birthday, MAME! new [Re: ]
#275454 - 02/07/12 09:55 PM


Just wanted to thank every MAMEdev who has contributed to this great project over the past 15 years.Great work.I eagerly anticipate MAME & MESS future.

OFF TOPIC:Out of curiosity,when did MESS begin?



TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Posts: 2930
Loc: USA
Send PM


Re: MESS released when? new [Re: mesk]
#275476 - 02/07/12 11:26 PM


> OFF TOPIC:Out of curiosity,when did MESS begin?

If I'm to believe the filedates listed for the first DOS MESS source/binary package, it's June 4th, 1998 which places it in between 0.33b3 and 0.33b4 releases of MAME.



StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Posts: 6222
Send PM


Re: MESS released when? new [Re: Tafoid]
#275524 - 02/08/12 06:25 AM


> > OFF TOPIC:Out of curiosity,when did MESS begin?
>
> If I'm to believe the filedates listed for the first DOS MESS source/binary package,
> it's June 4th, 1998 which places it in between 0.33b3 and 0.33b4 releases of MAME.

I researched this a month or so ago.

The earliest binaries built and offered online for all ports have a build date of June 3rd, 1998, so you can use that.
http://mess.org/downloads
(Mac OS binary - June 3, 1998 (I think) - ARM/RISC OS binary: June 3rd, 1998 - DOS/Windows binary: June 4th, 1998 - but the documentation revision date for both is June 3rd, 1998)

... and the first announcement is on USENET (for the ARM/RISC OS port) on June 4, 1998.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys....7e9a5893842f906
(dunno about where news on the DOS version would have been posted)

Diving into the private MESSDEV mailing list archive, looks like the source was uploaded to a public FTP on June 3rd, 1998.

Given all that, I'd use June 3, 1998.

... I should probably add this to the MESS wiki somewhere

(FWIW, I was not around for any of it. I didn't start with MAME til around 1999, and not with MESS until many years after.)

- Stiletto



DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Posts: 351
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Smitdogg]
#276322 - 02/17/12 12:49 AM


From what I see there will be big changes to the chd format with the introduction of lzma compression. That's excellent news.

I would love to see this in the roms. It would be great If we could reduce the size of the zipped roms, by replacing the zip with 7z files. Please devs bring lzma support to mame.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DaffyDuck (02/17/12 12:50 AM)



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: DaffyDuck]
#276329 - 02/17/12 02:31 AM


It's already there. You can shave off about 12 GB or so on a full 145 set that is rebuilt using 7-zip.



joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Posts: 968
Loc: Oak Lawn Il USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#276331 - 02/17/12 03:06 AM


Full set of roms or chd's?



DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Posts: 351
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#276334 - 02/17/12 03:08 AM


> It's already there. You can shave off about 12 GB or so on a full 145 set that is
> rebuilt using 7-zip.

do you mean that mame 0.145 recognizes 7z files by default?



TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Posts: 2930
Loc: USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: DaffyDuck]
#276336 - 02/17/12 03:26 AM


> > It's already there. You can shave off about 12 GB or so on a full 145 set that is
> > rebuilt using 7-zip.
>
> do you mean that mame 0.145 recognizes 7z files by default?

No.

MAME 0.145 is what was put out for MAME's 15th Anniversary. The stuff you are talking about, .7z support, is a work-in-progress and may or may not be 100% when the next U release is made. The savings are based on what people are reporting they are saving with converting a full romset to .7z.



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: DaffyDuck]
#276337 - 02/17/12 03:27 AM


> Full set of roms or chd's?
That's just the ROMs.


> do you mean that mame 0.145 recognizes 7z files by default?

No, 145 does not. I suggest waiting for u1 release if you're interested on that.

it's actually 10-11 GB you will save on space if you care about such things.

Edited by B2K24 (02/17/12 03:35 AM)



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Tafoid]
#276350 - 02/17/12 04:19 AM


> The stuff you are talking
> about, .7z support, is a work-in-progress and may or may not be 100% when the next U
> release is made. The savings are based on what people are reporting they are saving
> with converting a full romset to .7z.


I'll bet that will give some processors a good long workout! I hope Roman updates clrmame to handle the conversion. Hell, maybe it can do it now and I don't know.



joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Posts: 968
Loc: Oak Lawn Il USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#276352 - 02/17/12 04:29 AM


So we have to rebuild our roms like the Chd's when they move to v.5 to save space?



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: joey35car]
#276354 - 02/17/12 04:32 AM


I doubt it. I'm sure standard old zip files will still be supported.



Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Posts: 198
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: redk9258]
#276357 - 02/17/12 04:41 AM


> I'll bet that will give some processors a good long workout! I hope Roman updates
> clrmame to handle the conversion. Hell, maybe it can do it now and I don't know.

Clrmame already supports 7z compression, just change the compression to 7z from zip. Though you will have to rebuild your set to do it. You could get Clrmame to support any kind of compression by editing a file.

Edited by Quantum Leaper (02/17/12 04:42 AM)



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2509
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: joey35car]
#276383 - 02/17/12 06:58 AM


> So we have to rebuild our roms like the Chd's when they move to v.5 to save space?

Not only to save space, but I think for newer versions of MAME to recognize them.



Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1506
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: redk9258]
#276395 - 02/17/12 10:51 AM


just some comments:

- MAME will still support zip even if 7z support is added
- if the chd format is put to version 5, you most likely have to run a chdman -update on all your chds to recompress them to the new format.


Regarding cmpro:

- of course I will add support for v5 chds but this will not include the actual update step. You should use chdman for this. I will add an option which will show a warning if you did not convert a found chd.

- cmpro already works rather fine with 7z, while reading 7z archives is internal, writing is done by calling an external 7z executable. Keep in mind that 7z operations are slower, especially if we're talking about solid archives. As soon as I find time and a better 7z sdk, I may include the writing part as well.

Currently I see a new cmpro at end of February, hopefully with the chd update and definetly with the multi softwarelist support.



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Roman]
#276400 - 02/17/12 12:49 PM


Thanks Roman.



Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Posts: 730
Send PM


Re: Congrats to All... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#276404 - 02/17/12 01:52 PM


> > I'm very thankful MAME never ended up like DASArcade/Sparcade or Retrocade and has
> > continued for all these years.
> >
> > It wouldn't hurt MAME to recruit a RetroBabe* though.
>
> Why do you think Retrocade didn't continue? All the devs would launch it to test some
> addition and then get side-tracked fapping.

If they're fapping to that horrible piece of "artwork" they have serious issues.



R. Belmont
Cuckoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9586
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: B2K24]
#276421 - 02/17/12 06:39 PM


> > So we have to rebuild our roms like the Chd's when they move to v.5 to save space?
>
> Not only to save space, but I think for newer versions of MAME to recognize them.

Incorrect. Existing ROMs will continue to work fine, and .zip will continue to be preferred on lower-end systems (especially if you have 1 GB or less of RAM). Some CHDs will likely need an update, but it's just an update, not a re-download.



Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Posts: 353
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#276423 - 02/17/12 06:54 PM


Thx for the information !

att;



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4428
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: Catlist update? new [Re: cricri_pingouin]
#276498 - 02/18/12 06:31 PM


> Yay, happy birthday! *feels old*
>
> Anyone knows if there is anyone working on updating the CatList anymore? I need it to
> run MCM2 and clean up all the unwanted gambling games shit crap junk stuff.

http://www.progettoemma.net/?catlist



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Roman]
#276499 - 02/18/12 07:36 PM


> just some comments:
>
> - MAME will still support zip even if 7z support is added
> - if the chd format is put to version 5, you most likely have to run a chdman -update
> on all your chds to recompress them to the new format.
>
>
> Regarding cmpro:
>
> - of course I will add support for v5 chds but this will not include the actual
> update step. You should use chdman for this. I will add an option which will show a
> warning if you did not convert a found chd.
>
> - cmpro already works rather fine with 7z, while reading 7z archives is internal,
> writing is done by calling an external 7z executable. Keep in mind that 7z operations
> are slower, especially if we're talking about solid archives. As soon as I find time
> and a better 7z sdk, I may include the writing part as well.
>
> Currently I see a new cmpro at end of February, hopefully with the chd update and
> definetly with the multi softwarelist support.

I just used clrmame to build a 7z'd set of ROMs. It was quite easy and went without problem. All I had to do was point clrmame to my 7 zip exe file. I went from 36.2 GB to 29.7 GB. Not bad.

I checked out the latest MAME source from http://git.redump.net/mame/. It works fine with 7z ROMs.



Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 1649
Loc: Italy
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: redk9258]
#276501 - 02/18/12 08:10 PM


> > just some comments:
> >
> > - MAME will still support zip even if 7z support is added
> > - if the chd format is put to version 5, you most likely have to run a chdman
> -update
> > on all your chds to recompress them to the new format.
> >
> >
> > Regarding cmpro:
> >
> > - of course I will add support for v5 chds but this will not include the actual
> > update step. You should use chdman for this. I will add an option which will show a
> > warning if you did not convert a found chd.
> >
> > - cmpro already works rather fine with 7z, while reading 7z archives is internal,
> > writing is done by calling an external 7z executable. Keep in mind that 7z
> operations
> > are slower, especially if we're talking about solid archives. As soon as I find
> time
> > and a better 7z sdk, I may include the writing part as well.
> >
> > Currently I see a new cmpro at end of February, hopefully with the chd update and
> > definetly with the multi softwarelist support.
>
> I just used clrmame to build a 7z'd set of ROMs. It was quite easy and went without
> problem. All I had to do was point clrmame to my 7 zip exe file. I went from 36.2 GB
> to 29.7 GB. Not bad.
>
> I checked out the latest MAME source from http://git.redump.net/mame/. It works fine
> with 7z ROMs.

Which is the purpose of gain 5 GB of space when you can buy one or more cheap terabyte HDDs?
Just curious...



AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Posts: 936
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Mamesick]
#276503 - 02/18/12 08:54 PM


Future-proofing, mainly. ZIP can't handle archives bigger than 2 GB, and we're starting to dump and emulate things that bump against that limit (particularly in MESS, I gather)



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3961
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Mamesick]
#276505 - 02/18/12 09:54 PM


> Which is the purpose of gain 5 GB of space when you can buy one or more cheap
> terabyte HDDs?
> Just curious...

I've got plenty of disk space. I wanted to give my processor a workout ;-)
BTW, hard drives are not that cheap right now. What I spent $72 on before is now around $140.



jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Posts: 439
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: AWJ]
#276533 - 02/19/12 08:07 AM


What is being dumped that is > 2GB AND isn't better served by being set up as a CHD file?



Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Posts: 198
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: redk9258]
#276534 - 02/19/12 08:28 AM


> > Which is the purpose of gain 5 GB of space when you can buy one or more cheap
> > terabyte HDDs?
> > Just curious...
>
> I've got plenty of disk space. I wanted to give my processor a workout ;-)
> BTW, hard drives are not that cheap right now. What I spent $72 on before is now
> around $140.

Your spoiled. The first 5.25 inch Hard drive was the ST-506 was 5MB from Seagate and was only $1500 in 1980.

I like opening those old HDs, a lot times they even had the errors marked on a piece of paper taped to the drive itself. I have never found a 5MB one but I have seen quite a few of the ST-412 which was a 10MB HD from Seagate.

Edited by Quantum Leaper (02/19/12 08:33 AM)



StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Posts: 6222
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: jonwil]
#276538 - 02/19/12 09:49 AM


> What is being dumped that is > 2GB AND isn't better served by being set up as a CHD
> file?

Supposedly one of the 300-in-1's comes on a 4GB flash ROM, and there are more to come.

- Stiletto



jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Posts: 439
Send PM


Re: MAME .145 new [Re: Stiletto]
#276542 - 02/19/12 01:44 PM


Is it accessed like a usb key or SSD or are these flash ROMs actually mapped into the memory space of whatever CPU they use?


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Tafoid 
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7261