Pages: 1

Johnny Phantom
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/12
Send PM

Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME
#278219 - 03/05/12 05:07 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if this has been asked a bazillion times, but...

Will a Guncon2 usb ps2 lightgun work on a mame machine running the most current version of mame?
I read that they will work (with some 3rd party drivers), but the posts I read are very dated.

I tried searching for this info in the forums but had no luck
So sorry if this has been asked al ot and I just cant find it.

Also, if they won't work, can anyone suggest a light gun that will?

Thanks everyone!
~John

WOOOO BACON!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME new [Re: Johnny Phantom]
#278222 - 03/05/12 05:45 PM

They will work, but only with a CRT monitor (and even then you need a composite signal cable even if you use VGA). The drivers do work and the gun works fairly well with mame, but me getting an LCD and not using my TV killed me using the gun.

In short, if you can wire it up with drivers, yes, it does work well.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

Johnny Phantom
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/20/12
Send PM

Re: Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME new [Re: Naoki]
#278228 - 03/05/12 06:14 PM

Thanks for the response,
my MAME cab has a CRT tv in it and is using composite out from the PC to the TV so, it should work correct? or does it HAVE to be a PC monitor?

Just want to be sure
Thanks you so much for your help!

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME new [Re: Johnny Phantom]
#278238 - 03/05/12 08:10 PM

Any CR will do, just connect the Guncon 2's av connector somewhere between the Pc and TV.

----

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Re: Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME new [Re: Naoki]
#278293 - 03/06/12 09:27 AM

I'd be interested in how it works well since last I tried the drivers had issues with rolling x and original guncons. Only third party guncons would work correctly though I never tested one of those.

Considering how many of us still use a CRT it's surprising there is no real support for real lightguns.

Since most gun games work using the same technology it wouldn't be hard to interface one with MAME, it's just the software side of things that would need modifying. And of course you'd need a 50/60hz CRT.

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME new [Re: RetroRepair]
#278296 - 03/06/12 12:15 PM

> I'd be interested in how it works well since last I tried the drivers had issues with
> rolling x and original guncons. Only third party guncons would work correctly though
> I never tested one of those.
>
> Considering how many of us still use a CRT it's surprising there is no real support
> for real lightguns.
>
> Since most gun games work using the same technology it wouldn't be hard to interface
> one with MAME, it's just the software side of things that would need modifying. And
> of course you'd need a 50/60hz CRT.

AFAI remember I had no issues with higher refresh rates, but the gun-con needs to know when the screen is starting to draw the new screen.

----

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#278313 - 03/06/12 05:11 PM

Yes, optical guns rely on the screen retrace method employed by CRT monitors and televisions. They pinpoint your aim by timing how long it takes the sensor to pickup the white light that flashes. The screen quickly fills with white, but it does it line by line, top to bottom and left to right, so the game program has a pretty good method of figuring out your aim, but this method doesn't work on LCD. You need an infrared gun like LCDTopGun for that.

The one thing I do know about USB light guns is that they intercept the video signal and only poll your position ONCE, when you pull the trigger. Some games have machine gun options or abilities (like Operation Wolf, for example) and although the original game continues to track your movement while the trigger is held in, emulated games using the "video intercept" method will not re-poll your aim, they're not smart enough to understand. So some games will not be properly playable.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Guncon 2 lightguns? or other lightguns that work on MAME new [Re: yaggy]
#278406 - 03/07/12 01:19 PM

Guncon 2's constantly scan the screen, you'll have no issues with that.

----

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 9656