View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/13/11
Send PM

Mame on a thin client computer?
#282412 - 04/13/12 03:08 PM

I've heard of a thin client before and how it works, but since I've never used one I can't say for sure if it would be ok to put MAME on one. Would it be possible to run MAME and other less memory intensive emulators like zsnes on a thin client without slowdown?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Mame on a thin client computer? new [Re: thehuntsmen5434]
#282414 - 04/13/12 03:42 PM

Depends on specs, but not a great idea. On my one the OS barely runs let alone emulators

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

#282417 - 04/13/12 04:18 PM

There is a company doing this commercially (selling monthly subscriptions), so it does work, albeit there is some timing delay on certain games.

Easiest way to test it would be to fire up your favorite RDP client and remote into a VM and see if plays well.

I'd test it, but if it worked well, I'd likely never leave my couch and 10" tablet. Better to assume it doesn't

Mr. CAST

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#282418 - 04/13/12 04:37 PM

> I've heard of a thin client before and how it works, but since I've never used one I
> can't say for sure if it would be ok to put MAME on one. Would it be possible to run
> MAME and other less memory intensive emulators like zsnes on a thin client without
> slowdown?

If you mean streaming MAME to some lightweight device like OnLive and those places, it's possible. If you mean running MAME locally on a lightweight device, that won't end well

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#282566 - 04/14/12 07:51 PM

> I've heard of a thin client before and how it works, but since I've never used one I
> can't say for sure if it would be ok to put MAME on one. Would it be possible to run
> MAME and other less memory intensive emulators like zsnes on a thin client without
> slowdown?

That's contrary to the whole point of a thin client. Memory is not the issue, the problem is that it probably won't have anywhere near the required CPU power to run most games.

Maybe it could work if you ran some really old version of MAME, but by doing that you'd miss out on a lot of features, more accurate emulation, it's difficult to find the old ROM sets etc.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4173