MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Posts: 1956
Send PM


New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs
#284534 - 05/01/12 06:30 AM


I had a trendnet router I bought in '06. I recently phased it out for a modem/router from my ISP. It's a Zyxel Q1000z. I get great net performance.

However, it seems to be really slow at wired PC to PC tranfers.

The trendnet would do a couple gigs in a couple minutes or less. The Zyxel is taking 10-15 minutes for a few gigs. When copying, it sits at the 'preparing to copy' prompt for-ever. Then it takes its time transfering. (Both machines are, and have been, P4s running XP SP3.)

I googled, but didn't really find anything. (Note, there are no firmware updates for this unit.)



Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture




R. Belmont
Cuckoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9567
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: mogli]
#284579 - 05/01/12 04:33 PM


For that situation, I'd recommend getting a cheap 4-port switch (not a hub, an actual switch) and connect the PCs and the router to 3 of the ports on the switch. The switch will make a temporary direct connection between two ports that are talking to each other and isolate them from the rest of the network while they're talking. So that way PC-PC transfers don't involve the router, and PC-router transfers don't involve the other PC.



AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Posts: 2438
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: R. Belmont]
#284627 - 05/02/12 03:40 AM


> For that situation, I'd recommend getting a cheap 4-port switch (not a hub, an actual
> switch) and connect the PCs and the router to 3 of the ports on the switch. The
> switch will make a temporary direct connection between two ports that are talking to
> each other and isolate them from the rest of the network while they're talking. So
> that way PC-PC transfers don't involve the router, and PC-router transfers don't
> involve the other PC.

Just what I've done here only with an 8-way switcher!

I can highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Ralph.



Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!




mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Posts: 1956
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#284658 - 05/02/12 09:13 AM


edited...



Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture




mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Posts: 1956
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: R. Belmont]
#284659 - 05/02/12 09:15 AM


> For that situation, I'd recommend getting a cheap 4-port switch (not a hub, an actual
> switch) and connect the PCs and the router to 3 of the ports on the switch. The
> switch will make a temporary direct connection between two ports that are talking to
> each other and isolate them from the rest of the network while they're talking. So
> that way PC-PC transfers don't involve the router, and PC-router transfers don't
> involve the other PC.

I'm not understanding why the router is the problem, when it wasn't before.

And by PC-router transfers you mean downloads? And why would they involve another PC on the network?



Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture




R. Belmont
Cuckoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9567
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: mogli]
#284687 - 05/02/12 04:58 PM


> And by PC-router transfers you mean downloads?

Or uploads.

> And why would they involve another PC on the network?

Ethernet is a broadcast protocol. In the absence of a switch, everything on the network sees all the packets all the time, and has the opportunity to interfere/collide with them. In your specific case, something's probably generating extraneous packets that wasn't before - a neighbor is running something ill-behaved, or your ISP is doing a malware scan, or someone's leeching your WiFi, or you're running a torrent on one of your PCs.



Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 5498
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM


So that's what those are for new [Re: R. Belmont]
#284711 - 05/02/12 10:46 PM


> For that situation, I'd recommend getting a cheap 4-port switch (not a hub, an actual
> switch) and connect the PCs and the router to 3 of the ports on the switch. The
> switch will make a temporary direct connection between two ports that are talking to
> each other and isolate them from the rest of the network while they're talking. So
> that way PC-PC transfers don't involve the router, and PC-router transfers don't
> involve the other PC.

Thanks that's good to know, I had no idea...I thought my router would be smart enough to do something like that on its own!

Copying files across the LAN here seems slow, 11,2 MB/sec average. My router is 10/100 though.

/EDIT meh, maths. 11,2 MB/Sec is as good as it gets..

S



mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Posts: 1956
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: R. Belmont]
#284715 - 05/02/12 11:26 PM


> Ethernet is a broadcast protocol. In the absence of a switch, everything on the
> network sees all the packets all the time, and has the opportunity to
> interfere/collide with them. In your specific case, something's probably generating
> extraneous packets that wasn't before - a neighbor is running something ill-behaved,
> or your ISP is doing a malware scan, or someone's leeching your WiFi, or you're
> running a torrent on one of your PCs.

I haven't been running a torrent during file transfers.

Far as I know, my wifi requires the passcode. Did for me to connect to it.

Why would my ISP be running a scan? - I've signed up for no such services. And, would they be doing it automatically when files are being transferred? - because it's the same each time with this unit.

There are only two PCs active on the network, in this case one sending, the other copying.

Again, there was no issue with my old router. Perhaps it was more isolatory?. (I could go back to the old set-up, I need wifi hardly ever, but having one unit is convenient.)

** Transferring 640MB in two minutes works out to 5MB per second. That's so bad it's not even ass. I should be getting at least 1Mbit transfer speed, right? Both have SATA drives, by the way. **



Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture




R. Belmont
Cuckoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9567
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: New router, slow(er) file transfer between PCs new [Re: mogli]
#284815 - 05/03/12 10:10 PM


> Far as I know, my wifi requires the passcode. Did for me to connect to it.

> Why would my ISP be running a scan? - I've signed up for no such services. And, would
> they be doing it automatically when files are being transferred? - because it's the
> same each time with this unit.

Most large ISPs do scans regularly to prevent botnets from setting up camp on their bandwidth (and occasionally to catch people for the (RI/MP)AA). It's free, you don't sign up, and you don't know they're doing it unless you get caught. After all, you and I and everyone claims to be careful, but someone's clicking on these viruses.

> Again, there was no issue with my old router. Perhaps it was more isolatory?. (I
> could go back to the old set-up, I need wifi hardly ever, but having one unit is
> convenient.)

The old router may have had a switch built-in, or it may have done a better job blocking your neighbors' packets. Who knows.



mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Posts: 1956
Send PM


Hmmmmm...... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#285952 - 05/11/12 09:40 AM


I meant to try a transfer with the source machine and another one beside my main rig....but the other night the transfer queued and went quickly. That is, I calculated, near 100mbit. So I guess my onboard Enet is 10/100.

Right now, it's being a pig again. Seems there's something weird with this computer, as I did try my old router and it was just as bad.



Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture



Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2138