MAMEWorld Central >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

OK, here's another one...
#314448 - 09/13/13 06:19 AM Attachment: mame.ini 8 KB (3 downloads)

Different machine, this is my MAME box. Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6200

I haven't used it in a few months. Fired it up the other day, updated to .149 (from .148), and now *nothing* runs at 100% speed. Frame rates generally bounce around between 85-95%, even on the simplest of games. This definitely worked the last time I used the machine.

- It's not due to .149. Running .148 now produces generally the same behavior.
- I regenerated mame.ini and revisited each setting, I can't see anything that would cause this
- Running .148, maybe 1 launch in 10 will suddenly work at 100%. Quit and restart, changing nothing else, and it's slow again. Unsure if .149 never does this or if I just haven't tried enough.
- If I turn off d3d and use ddraw, it runs at a solid 100% (albeit looking like raw ass). Video drivers are the latest, and haven't changed since the machine was in a working state.

The only other change to the machine is that I let uTorrent update itself, then I ripped it out when I discovered what a grotesquely bloated, buggy piece of shit it has become, and installed qBitTorrent. It's definitely not running in the background, however.

Is it possible for a video card to fail in such a way that it appears to work flawlessly, but slower than normal? What diagnostics I have for the card look normal, and it's fanless, so dust or anything like that isn't an issue. The card's always seemed a little flaky, I'm wondering if it has just finally packed it in.

EDIT: mame.ini attached

Edited by DMala (09/13/13 06:21 AM)

B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: OK, here's another one... new [Re: DMala]
#314454 - 09/13/13 09:05 AM

Try setting multithreading to 0

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#314461 - 09/13/13 07:07 PM

> Different machine, this is my MAME box. Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce
> 6200
>
> I haven't used it in a few months. Fired it up the other day, updated to .149 (from
> .148), and now *nothing* runs at 100% speed. Frame rates generally bounce around
> between 85-95%, even on the simplest of games. This definitely worked the last time I
> used the machine.
>
> - It's not due to .149. Running .148 now produces generally the same behavior.
> - I regenerated mame.ini and revisited each setting, I can't see anything that would
> cause this
> - Running .148, maybe 1 launch in 10 will suddenly work at 100%. Quit and restart,
> changing nothing else, and it's slow again. Unsure if .149 never does this or if I
> just haven't tried enough.
> - If I turn off d3d and use ddraw, it runs at a solid 100% (albeit looking like raw
> ass). Video drivers are the latest, and haven't changed since the machine was in a
> working state.
>
> The only other change to the machine is that I let uTorrent update itself, then I
> ripped it out when I discovered what a grotesquely bloated, buggy piece of shit it
> has become, and installed qBitTorrent. It's definitely not running in the background,
> however.
>
> Is it possible for a video card to fail in such a way that it appears to work
> flawlessly, but slower than normal? What diagnostics I have for the card look normal,
> and it's fanless, so dust or anything like that isn't an issue. The card's always
> seemed a little flaky, I'm wondering if it has just finally packed it in.
>
> EDIT: mame.ini attached

Bad VRAM perhaps? I've seen cards throttle when dealing with bad video memory. Get a memory testing utility, something modern-ish.

Also, CPUs will throttle speeds if overheating, perhaps GPUs will as well.

- Stiletto

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: OK, here's another one... new [Re: B2K24]
#314488 - 09/14/13 06:45 AM

> Try setting multithreading to 0

Tried it, no change.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: OK, here's another one... new [Re: Stiletto]
#314489 - 09/14/13 06:51 AM

> Bad VRAM perhaps? I've seen cards throttle when dealing with bad video memory. Get a
> memory testing utility, something modern-ish.

Everything appears to be in order in GPU-Z, at least as far as what the card reports.

> Also, CPUs will throttle speeds if overheating, perhaps GPUs will as well.

Heat doesn't seem to be an issue, the case is well ventilated and the CPU has a giant Golden Orb cooler. GPU appears to idle at 40C, and rise to about 44C under load in MAME. I don't have CPU temps handy, but I know I've checked them and they're well within spec.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#314490 - 09/14/13 07:46 AM Attachment: Capture.PNG 2 KB (0 downloads)

Try running MAME in a Window in D3D mode with GPU-z open and see if it changes to AGP 8x @ AGP 8x.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#314493 - 09/14/13 05:20 PM

What's the make/model of the motherboard. Be specific.

Also, some (many?) of the Nvidia 6200 cards were "TurboCache" models that came with very little on-board memory and actually use system memory. The performance was generally pretty bad once you exceeded the on-board memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_6_Series#GeForce_6200_TurboCache_.2F_AGP

Edited by krick (09/14/13 05:29 PM)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC
CRT_EmuDriver - ATI Radeon Catalyst video driver for GroovyMAME
tankadin.com : tank + paladin = tankadin

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: OK, here's another one... new [Re: krick]
#314515 - 09/14/13 11:25 PM

> Also, some (many?) of the Nvidia 6200 cards were "TurboCache" models that came with
> very little on-board memory and actually use system memory. The performance was
> generally pretty bad once you exceeded the on-board memory.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_6_Series#GeForce_6200_TurboCache_.2F_AGP

His is AGP with 256MB RAM, no TurboCache.

Maybe the drivers (307.83 are from March 2013) are just crappy? Nvidia probably don't spend much of their time testing their latest drivers on Geforce 6200 cards..

S

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: OK, here's another one... new [Re: Sune]
#314526 - 09/15/13 06:56 AM

> Try running MAME in a Window in D3D mode with GPU-z open and see if it changes to AGP
> 8x @ AGP 8x.

Good eye, I didn't notice that. I tried running MAME and I also tried the render test built into GPU-Z, and that setting never changes.

So NVIDIA says check your AGP aperture to fix this, sadly I have no AGP aperture setting on this board. Then they say to make sure your chipset drivers are up-to-date. Unfortunately this board (Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939) is an nForce 3 board, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of whatever Win7 installs for me.

The good news is that I tried reinstalling/rolling back the driver to (semi-arbitrarily chosen) 197.45, and everything seems to be back to normal. GPU-Z is still showing the bus in PCI mode, but MAME is back to performing as well as it did before, which is all I care about. When I last used the machine a couple of months ago, I must have updated the driver just before I shut down or something like that. I shan't be updating it again.

It's kind of sad, really. This particular machine has been my MAME box the longest of any since I've had a machine (mostly) dedicated to MAME, and it truly is a miserable collection of parts that only grudgingly work together. It's been the Chevy Vega of computers since the day I cobbled it together. I really need to scrape together some cash, upgrade to something decent, and put this thing out of its misery.

Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#314532 - 09/15/13 08:35 AM

> The good news is that I tried reinstalling/rolling back the driver to
> (semi-arbitrarily chosen) 197.45, and everything seems to be back to normal.

You probably don't need to go back quite that far.

Assuming you're running Windows 7 64-bit, give this version a try...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

For 32-bit, use this one...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

There are known issues with newer Nvidia drivers and the 6200 series, but 258.x and earlier seem to be OK from what I've read.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC
CRT_EmuDriver - ATI Radeon Catalyst video driver for GroovyMAME
tankadin.com : tank + paladin = tankadin

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#314551 - 09/15/13 11:26 PM

> The good news is that I tried reinstalling/rolling back the driver to
> (semi-arbitrarily chosen) 197.45, and everything seems to be back to normal. GPU-Z is
> still showing the bus in PCI mode, but MAME is back to performing as well as it did
> before, which is all I care about. When I last used the machine a couple of months
> ago, I must have updated the driver just before I shut down or something like that. I
> shan't be updating it again.

Ah... why did I leap to hardware suggestions first? Good job troubleshooting.

- Stiletto

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: OK, here's another one... new [Re: krick]
#314565 - 09/16/13 05:50 AM

> > The good news is that I tried reinstalling/rolling back the driver to
> > (semi-arbitrarily chosen) 197.45, and everything seems to be back to normal.
>
> You probably don't need to go back quite that far.
>
> Assuming you're running Windows 7 64-bit, give this version a try...
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html
>
> For 32-bit, use this one...
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-258.96-whql-driver.html
>
> There are known issues with newer Nvidia drivers and the 6200 series, but 258.x and
> earlier seem to be OK from what I've read.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I couldn't find any definitive information, so I figured it was safer to go way back.

EDIT: Tried 258.96 and the problem came back. Retreated to 197.45 and it works fine. Maybe if I get a quiet afternoon sometime, I'll do a binary search and try to figure out the exact point where it breaks. What weirds me out is that I've definitely run drivers newer than 197.45 at one time and it worked fine. I can't really understand why newer drivers would be a problem all of a sudden, unless maybe I picked up a Windows update that screwed me over somehow.

Edited by DMala (09/17/13 05:29 AM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld Central >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2367