Pages: 1

jclampy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/16/11
Send PM

JClampy's Custom MAME/HLSL Setups (Version 3.0 released) new
#268099 - 11/06/11 10:10 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finding correct settings that work with each different resolution is a long, difficult, and slow
process. If you think you can contribute or help with this process then please contact me.
Please do not steal or plagiarism my work or settings without crediting me. Otherwise I will
take everything offline for my private friends and personal use only. I have put alot of time
and effort into all of this and would prefer if people would just point others towards my blog.
Thankyou for understanding.

Big thankyou to all those that have been directly involved in creating and maintaining MAME.

Special credit/thanks to Aaron Giles, Mr. Do and all those involved in creating and
maintaining the MAME/MESS Artwork System.

Thanks to Ryan Holtz aka 'Just Desserts', Bat Country Entertainment, cgwg and all those
involved in creating and maintaining the HLSL filter for MAME and MESS.

I would like to credit turborunner for helping out with all widescreen testing.

I would like to personally thank these people that have helped me on the forums in a friendly,
respectful, and professional manner; krick, R. Belmont, Heihachi_73, PsikyoFan.

I would like to acknowledge these people that induced me to 'push the envelope' and think
differently which allowed me to get my custom setup where it is today; ilya-v, SoltanGris42.

Now that is out of the way I would like to encourage you to try my just released version 3.0 custom setup.

First you might like to read this page;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/p/to-use-hlsl-or-not-to-use-hlsl.html
And the introduction to version 3.0 here;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/p/getting-ready-to-use-version-30.html
Then you can get version 3.0 from here;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/p/version-30.html

Version 3.0
* No longer implemented through the HLSL filter. (Can be used alongside it though)
* Now implemented through MAME Artwork System.
* High Quality .png file.
* No longer 'tiled' ensures no gradient or banding artifacts with ingame scrolling.
* No 'warping' or 'pinching' effects ensure a crystal clear game image that is easier to look at.

Known Issues:
* 'Alpha Channel' is not adjustable so the phosphur pattern is shown at full strength resulting in a darkened game image and also can produce a viewable dot crawl effect on some monitors. (Might be noticeable if you are looking at a white intro screen)
* Once above issue is solved I will release a second pattern of an Aperture Grille with scanlines.
* Wanting suggestions for alternative MAME/Artwork implementation options, the current 'Simple Manual Install' method can get tedious, but does work for all games.

The 'Alpha Channel' known issue is of highest priority on the fixit list. I have posted more indepth information in my post further down;
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
If you are able to come up with a solution then please contact me. Credit will be given for any help received. Maybe it requires a new MAME Artwork type that is a slightly modified 'overlay' or 'bezel'?

Edited by jclampy (11/27/11 02:06 AM)

Read about my latest custom HLSL setup here;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: JClampy's Custom MAME HLSL Setups new [Re: jclampy]
#268120 - 11/07/11 12:14 AM

Hmm, no response about widescreen resolutions.

Ok, I have made a custom border for 1440x900 resolution and attached it to the NEO GEO post on my blog. From my quick research it appears that is a common resolution that is closest to 1280x896.

Please tell me if it works as I can't test it myself at the moment. Should be fine though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit:
As a cool bonus, I figured out how you can have one border artwork file that will work for all NEO GEO games only. This is really great because I was thinking we might have had to have one border artwork file for all 157 NEO GEO parent games (Luckily not!). It also means that it won't interfere if you like to use some custom graphic artwork for specific individual NEO GEO games as it does not use that file name.

I have added the updated instructions to my NEO GEO blog post.

Edited by jclampy (11/08/11 01:40 AM)

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#268227 - 11/08/11 11:55 PM

I have confirmed that my 'version 2.0' is fully compatible with Horizontally orientated 320x240 and Vertically orientated 240x320 games. I have created a page on my blog with all the relevant information.

I Don't use borders this time. If widescreen user's need borders then tell me what resolution you play at. Game is at a 4x magnification so will be 320x240 = 1280x960.

As before, I will put some testing screen images at the bottom of the blog post so you can see how it looks when it is working properly and when it is not.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

#268230 - 11/09/11 12:34 AM

The dark blue text on black background on portions of your blog is unreadable. I recommend choosing a different text color for those sections.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: JClampy's Custom MAME HLSL Setups new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#268231 - 11/09/11 12:56 AM

Thankyou for telling me that I will change it shortly.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#268786 - 11/17/11 04:38 AM

I have changed the poll on my blog because the previous poll did not reflect information that was helpful in regards to moving towards version 3.0 of my custom setup.

If you are interested in my project at all please take a moment to answer my poll. Please answer honestly as it will reflect what resolutions I spend the time towards implementing first.

Also you do not have to join or be a member to vote in the poll as far as I know. So anyone can easily vote in a matter of seconds.

Thankyou.

Edit:
Sorry to those that already voted, I had to reset the poll again as my wording wasn't quite accurate enough. It's not perfect but should be near enough, so I will leave it as it is now. Let the voting begin!

PS: The 'border' comment at the beginning of each resolution is the *minimum* amount of bordering. Some widescreen users may also have top/bottom borders with certain resolutions. Due to how I am creating 'version 3.0' at the moment, it may constrict to one of the two possible bordering *styles*. I won't know that definitively until the time comes around of testing to see what happens.

Edited by jclampy (11/17/11 07:29 AM)

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#268818 - 11/17/11 12:10 PM

Just took part in the poll....and can i just say how much i appreciate your ongoing efforts with HLSL, THE best new feature in MAME since it's launch..

It's much appreciated...

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: JClampy's Custom MAME HLSL Setups new [Re: Ziggy100]
#268846 - 11/17/11 06:15 PM

> Just took part in the poll....and can i just say how much i appreciate your ongoing
> efforts with HLSL, THE best new feature in MAME since it's launch..
>
> It's much appreciated...

Just for the record, the author of the HLSL system asked that I mention that jclampy is not the developer of the HLSL system.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: JClampy's Custom MAME HLSL Setups new [Re: B2K24]
#268862 - 11/17/11 07:42 PM

> Just for the record, the author of the HLSL system asked that I mention that jclampy
> is not the developer of the HLSL system.

I don't believe that was ever actually said or inferred, *anywhere*! I took it as appreciation for the time/effort I have put into finding and releasing information on how the HLSL filter can *work*, which was quite a task. Not only since I knew nothing about the HLSL filter prior to this, but also due to the non existant or lack of current documentation and from the incorrect assumptions others have made (including myself back in the time of the early HLSL versions). Out of the numerous people that my information has helped only few have directly thanked me, so I appreciate Ziggy's comment. Some people would take my settings and change a brightness setting and then post around saying how good 'their' settings are.

I might as well mention that my version 3.0 will not use the *current* HLSL filter. The *current* HLSL filter can/will be used to enhance certain image properties, but my .png files will no longer be incorporated through the *current* HLSL filter.

Version 3.0 is coming along nicely, it is a long process testing all variations. I am almost certain I have one .png file that can be used for all game resolutions and will give the same result with either normal or widescreen displays. I should be able to post some screenshots this weekend but I think it will be another week before release.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

......blinks....... new [Re: B2K24]
#268911 - 11/18/11 01:56 AM

> Just for the record, the author of the HLSL system asked that I mention that jclampy
> is not the developer of the HLSL system.

Really? Like. Really?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

B2K24
Send PM

Re: ......blinks....... new [Re: mogli]
#268912 - 11/18/11 02:13 AM

> Really? Like. Really?

You been watching to much Miz on WWE?

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Call your bluff. new [Re: B2K24]
#268915 - 11/18/11 02:32 AM

Actually B2K24, why not list who the HLSL developers are so that we all know.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: Call your bluff. new [Re: jclampy]
#268923 - 11/18/11 04:20 AM

> Actually B2K24, why not list who the HLSL developers are so that we all know.

OK you Lazie

0.142u4

Code:

Implemented experimental HLSL post-processing support on Direct3D 9
targets. [Ryan Holtz, Bat Country Entertainment]

* 5-pass post-processing: Upscale, Post-Process, Store Last Frame,
Defocus 1, Defocus 2
* Many tunable effects including: Scanlines, defocus, linear
deconvergence, radial deconvergence, pincushion, RGB colorspace
convolution, YIQ colorspace convolution, saturation, simulated dot
crawl, simulated chroma subsampling, aperture masking, and more.
* Requires a GPU that supports Shader Model 3.0 to be enabled and a
powerful GPU, the entire pipeline consists of approximately 30
texel fetches and approximately 230 arthimetic ops.
* Will supersample the framebuffer up to 9x in both X and Y, but this
requires an enormously powerful GPU that has not been invented;
users with Radeon 5000-class cards should limit themselves to 3x,
Radeon 4000 to 1.5x.
* The default configuration will NOT appear to do anything; it
requires tuning to the user's liking.
* Should nicely fall back in all cases except missing shaders, and it
might fall back correctly in that case as well. Report any
anomalies.
- For obvious reasons, the Direct3D8 renderer cannont support this.

HLSL Updates [Ryan Holtz, Bat Country Entertainment]
* Split color convolution and deconvergence into separate shaders for
potential GPU savings down the line
* Added light and heavy variants of the color convolution shader, the
former with YIQ colorspace removed
* Re-worked defocus to occur prior to shadow mask application, as it
would be on a real monitor.
* Split "pincushion" into "Pincushion" and "Screen Curvature", the
former affecting the only the displayed image and the latter only
affecting the shadow mask.
* Made major fixes to CVBS simulation, significantly increasing color
saturation
* Added magnet deconvergence via a shader uniform
* Improved phosphorescence
* Improved YIQ codec
* Added adjustable color carrier in YIQ processing mode.
* Fixed resolution-change crash and likely D3D performance regression
with -nohlsl on low-spec cards
* Created a new OSD function, osd_get_slider_list, which allows
OS-specific slider controls.

HLSL Post-Processing Updates: [Ryan Holtz, Bat Country Entertainment, cgwg]
* The defocus pass is now switched off when defocus_x and defocus_y
are zero, allowing finer-grained performance tuning.
* Removed YIQ convolution from the main color-convolution shader and
replaced it with a full composite encode/decode pass. This is slower,
but looks amazing(ly like a terrible TV) and can be turned off.
* More authentic NTSC dot crawl and bandwidth limiting.

]

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Call your bluff. new [Re: B2K24]
#268927 - 11/18/11 04:40 AM

Ah, thanks for that. Not that I pay much attention to release notes but I went from version 0.131 to 0.143u1

Anyway, since I am not part of the 'in crowd'. How does user 'Just Desserts' fit into the equation?

Trying to figure out who I should be thanking for creating the HLSL filter on my blog. Looks like the list should be;
Ryan Holtz
Bat Country Entertainment
cgwg

'Just Desserts' must fit in there somewhere but where? Is he Ryan Holtz or part of B.C.E.?

Cheers.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Call your bluff. new [Re: jclampy]
#268929 - 11/18/11 04:48 AM

> Ah, thanks for that. Not that I pay much attention to release notes but I went from
> version 0.131 to 0.143u1
>
> Anyway, since I am not part of the 'in crowd'. How does user 'Just Desserts' fit into
> the equation?
>
> Trying to figure out who I should be thanking for creating the HLSL filter on my
> blog. Looks like the list should be;
> Ryan Holtz
> Bat Country Entertainment
> cgwg
>
> 'Just Desserts' must fit in there somewhere but where? Is he Ryan Holtz or part of
> B.C.E.?
>
> Cheers.

Just Desserts = Ryan Holtz = MG = one of the founding members of Bat Country Entertainment

http://www.batcountryentertainment.com/team.html

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

All good. new [Re: Mr. Do]
#268931 - 11/18/11 05:08 AM

Thanks for the quick responses, I have now ammended my credit list at the top of this thread and also on my blog pages.

While I have your ear Mr. Do, may I ask if you could please respond to my last couple of pm's when you have a chance. If you want to wait until I release a version 3.0 first so you can see it's potential then I understand.

Cheers.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Might need some help to make progress... new [Re: jclampy]
#269049 - 11/19/11 09:25 AM

This is where I am at with version 3.0 and one issue is blocking reaching it's full potential.

I am using MAME's Border Artwork feature to implement my .png files. As far as I know there are three methods you can choose from; backdrop, overlay, or bezel. These are the characteristics I have noticed of each method:

Backdrop;
A) My phosphur pattern appears in black/really dark image areas which I don't think we want as I assume the phosphurs shouldn't be lit or that bright and also the end result looks as if we had otherwise turned the 'gamma' up.
B) My phosphur pattern does not appear in white/really bright image areas which I don't think is correct since I assume that the phosphur pattern should be noticeable. An interesting side effect of this is that the bright areas of the game image look like they are boosted.
C) The 'alpha' channel is adjustable.

Overlay;
A) You cannot see my phosphur pattern in black/really dark image areas which I think is correct.
B) You can see my phosphur pattern in white/really bright image areas which I think is correct.
C) The 'alpha' channel is not useable while using overlay mode, so we can't adjust the 'opacity' of the png file. The result is that my phosphur pattern is very overpowering and you end up with a very dark game image.

Bezel;
A) My phosphur pattern appears in black/really dark image areas which I don't think we want as I assume the phosphurs shouldn't be lit or that bright and also the end result looks as if we had otherwise turned the 'gamma' up.
B) You can see my phosphur pattern in white/really bright image areas which I think is correct.
C) The 'alpha' channel is adjustable.

So as you can see; 'Backdrop' is the worst choice. 'Overlay' would be good if the 'alpha' channel was adjustable. 'Bezel' would be good if my phosphur pattern would not be visible in black/really dark image areas.

If anyone can find a way to get either method to work perfectly then let me know and you shall be credited.

I don't know how to add files or links here as I keep getting error messages so I will have to put a post up with the files on my blog.

Edit:
The 'Alpha Channel' known issue is of highest priority on the fixit list. I have posted more indepth information in my post further down;
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1
If you are able to come up with a solution the please contact me. Credit will be given for any help received. Maybe it requires a new MAME Artwork type that is a slightly modified 'overlay' or 'bezel'?

Edited by jclampy (11/26/11 02:22 PM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: ......blinks....... new [Re: B2K24]
#269108 - 11/20/11 03:56 AM

> > Really? Like. Really?
>
> You been watching to much Miz on WWE?

I don't watch TV (in any medium), remember?

I was inferring incredulousness over:

- there being any question JClampy was anything but a user (DOH!)

- and that you were either sniffing deep in someone's nether region; or/and that said person was too meek to post themself. (......................)

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: ......blinks....... new [Re: mogli]
#269112 - 11/20/11 04:24 AM

> - there being any question JClampy was anything but a user (DOH!)

Hmm, would expect a bit more than 'user', definately 'tinkerer', would like to think 'problem solver' but I tend to be more a 'problem finder' with this stuff.

In regards to the previously posted issue I have decided that 'overlay' mode is currently the closest look to what I am trying to achieve. Because currently the 'alpha channel' cannot be adjusted for 'overlay' mode with the MAME border artwork feature, certain monitor display resolutions just don't look good enough. Probably a combination of that and the accuracy lost when not being in monitors 'native display' resolution may have something to do with it.

From my current testing it looks like fullscreen 1280x1024 and probably 1920x1080 are both working good enough for an initial release so I will hopefully have atleast one of those up for download tonight. Whether that needs to be your monitors native resolution I am not 100% sure yet. As far as I have tested all games have been displayed distortion free.

For other display resolutions you will either need to wait until someone responds with a solution to the previously posted issue. Or, you could try using it and have a slightly/highly degraded image. Maybe you won't notice the loss in quality on your monitor but I can see it on mine.

Edit1:
Was able to spend some time testing on a widescreen tonight. Everything was working as good as on my normal screen, was using the same 4:3 1280x960 setup and displaying it bordered (monitor was set to 1:1 ratio and bordered the image automatically) on a monitor which had a native resolution of 1920x1200. No distortion which is great, only that issue where the alpha channel can't be adjusted remained.

I spent alot of time writing out instructions and organising the files but after tonights testing I need to rewrite and reorganise things a little. I am now sure I can setup one release that caters to both normal and widescreen users. I will try for a release tomorrow if I have enough time after work but I might be too busy over the next couple of days.

So at the moment;
Normal screen
1280x960 displayed fullscreen 1280x960 works ok.
1280x960 displayed bordered fullscreen 1280x1024 looked a little better.
I guess will work fine on all normal screens with native resolutions of 1280x960 and upwards.

Widescreen
1280x960 displayed fullscreen (with automatic monitor bordering) on monitor in 1:1 aspect ratio mode works ok.
I guess will work fine on all widescreens with native resolutions of 1440x960 and upwards.

So the initial release will support all of that. Once I have got that posted up I will get it sorted for 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 users. Which maybe of even higher quality if I am not mistaken.

Edit2:
Ended up doing more testing and made some good extra progress in design and implementation. At the moment these could be the finalised supported resolutions at this time:

- Resolutions Supported by Pattern Type A: 1280x960 & 1440x960* & 1280x1024* & 1920x1080*
- Pattern Type A: Similar to Wells Gardner K7000 19" Standard Pitch 'Arcade Monitor'
*All resolutions shown bordered or boxed as 1280x960

- Resolutions Supported by Pattern Type B: 1600x1200 & 1920x1200*
- Pattern Type B: Similar to Wells Gardner K7000 25" Standard Pitch 'Arcade Monitor'
*Resolution shown bordered as 1600x1200

I recommend that people only use their displays 'native' resolution to ensure a perfectly clear image when games scroll either horizontally or vertically.

Should be released this weekend as long as I don't have any new major problems turn up.

Edit3:
Yep, release will definately be this weekend. I completed testing all resolutions bar 1440x960 since it seems is not a common resolution, or just I don't have access to a monitor that uses it. Should work fine anyway as my calculations look sound, since all other tested resolutions work fine.

It is made to work with people's monitor in 'native resolution'. If you don't then you will degrade image based on monitor's lack of accuracy when not in 'native resolution'. While matching the correct size resolution to exactly the same as 'native resolution' will look perfect, the ultimate setup seems to be either 1600x1200 and 1920x1200. Both monitors would give the same game image and use the higher quality K7000 25" phosphur pattern. Not only that but if you displayed a vertically orientated game without rotation so monitor in an horizontal position then the displayed image dimensions are very close to the phosphur pattern of a K7000 19" rotated vertically. So 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 monitors are great for all scenarios.

I can confirm my Version 3.0 works fully with or without HLSL 'complementing'. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages, so just comes down to personal preference. All will be explained in my future posts.

I'll start posting screenshots tomorrow and some information to help people understand how to get the most from it.

Edited by jclampy (11/23/11 01:47 PM)

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

My Custom Setup Version 3.0 is released! new [Re: jclampy]
#269590 - 11/26/11 02:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Just letting you all know that my custom setup version 3.0 is finally released.

This version is designed to *only* be used with a monitor or display in it's 'native resolution' mode. It has only been tested with MAME running in fullscreen and has not been tested running in a window. Currently compatible with all 4:3 standard ratio horizontally orientated and vertically orientated games. Based on the theoretical phosphur triad pattern of two popular 'Arcade Monitors' from around 24 years ago;

- Resolutions Supported by Pattern Type A: 1280x960 & 1440x960 & 1280x1024 & 1920x1080
- Pattern Type A: Similar to Wells Gardner K7000 19" Standard Pitch 'Arcade Monitor'
- Resolutions Supported by Pattern Type B: 1600x1200 & 1920x1200
- Pattern Type B: Similar to Wells Gardner K7000 25" Standard Pitch 'Arcade Monitor'

I updated my first post in this thread above with the relevant details.

Cheers.

vio
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/30/14
Send PM

Re: JClampy's Custom MAME/HLSL Setups (Version 3.0 released) [Re: jclampy]
#332561 - 09/30/14 02:18 PM

Will you reupload the files?

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Screenshot Samples?? new [Re: B2K24]
#332610 - 10/01/14 01:32 PM

I would really like to see some screenshots samples here showing the new HLSL capabilities compared to real hardware monitors. At least some HLSL shots would be godd anyway.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8427