View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Napalmhardcore
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/03/15
Send PM

Is IV/Play a replacement for MAMEUI 32?
#337409 - 03/03/15 10:00 PM

I am really sorry if I am being stupid but I'm currently just going around in circles.

I have recently been given a second hand laptop (64-bit). One of the first things I wanted to do was put MAME on it, so I went to http://www.mameui.info/ I also thought it would be a good idea to grab the latest version of MAME for my 32-bit desktop. I've not tried the 64-bit version yet but all the files and folders I expect are there, however the 32-bit version does not appear to be on the site. Only IV/Play, source files and update files are there.

I have visited EasyEmu and the MAME FAQ but both lead me back to http://www.mameui.info/ for MAMEUI 32. I've also tried searching the forums, but phrasing a search for appropriate information is not easy.

Many of the topics and discussions I've seen whilst searching have been way above my head, so please go easy on me. I know nothing about compiling etc, I just want the latest stable version of MAMEUI 32 or its equivalent.

Your help would be much appreciated.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Is IV/Play a replacement for MAMEUI 32? new [Re: Napalmhardcore]
#337410 - 03/03/15 10:13 PM

Napalmhardcore
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is IV/Play a replacement for MAMEUI 32? new [Re: Robbbert]
#337411 - 03/03/15 10:16 PM

Thank you very much

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#337414 - 03/04/15 01:15 AM

> I have recently been given a second hand laptop (64-bit). One of the first things I
> wanted to do was put MAME on it, so I went to http://www.mameui.info/ I also thought
> it would be a good idea to grab the latest version of MAME for my 32-bit desktop.
> I've not tried the 64-bit version yet but all the files and folders I expect are
> there, however the 32-bit version does not appear to be on the site. Only IV/Play,
> source files and update files are there.

Ever since the project maintainer John_IV got a 64-bit computer and operating system, and also considered the march of time and progress, he decided to stop compiling and releasing 32-bit builds of MAMEUI and switched to only providing 64-bit builds of MAMEUI. 32-bit builds are no longer offered at MAMEUI.info because he doesn't feel like making and supporting them.

So what happens lately is, every time the "official" 64-bit build and sourcecode is released, some kind soul other than John_IV (usually redk9258), usually on the MAMEWorld forums, compiles and uploads a 32-bit version to MAMEWorld forums.

For MAMEUI 0.159, that happened here:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=337207

Or more specifically, here:
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=337229

Which is to say - the release of MAMEUI 64-bit (and its "unofficial" 32-bit builds) is usually announced on the MAMEWorld News Submission subforum - and NOT the dedicated MAMEUI & IV/Play subforum.

Usually AntoPISA later comes along and mirrors these builds on his MAMEUI page, which has already been pointed out to you.

Hope this helps.

- Stiletto

Napalmhardcore
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is IV/Play a replacement for MAMEUI 32? new [Re: Stiletto]
#337426 - 03/04/15 07:27 AM

Thank you for the insight. It is always nice to join a forum with people willing to help out clueless people such as myself.

I've tried out the new version but have unfortunately encountered a problem. When I audit all games in the new version, many of the games will not populate the list when on the "available" tab that did in the old version. The game will still play if I select it from the complete list, but it just won't appear in the "available" tab.

I'll do a little research and see if I can figure it out but I may well be back soon. Should I require more help would you recommend I start a new thread or keep it to this one?

Again, thanks

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#337428 - 03/04/15 09:00 AM

Napalmhardcore
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is IV/Play a replacement for MAMEUI 32? new [Re: Robbbert]
#337431 - 03/04/15 09:53 AM

> I'm guessing you're referring to Neogeo games. You need to update your roms (which we
> are not permitted to help you with). Your old roms are enough to run the game but not
> enough to get it in the Available list.<

Neogeo is one culprit. Seems to be some other stuff too (mostly fighting games). My research thus far leads me to believe this is going to be a pain in the... neck.

Edit: I don't even know where to begin. I don't know what information that was relevant to old versions of MAME is still relevant (the last version I had was from 2011). I don't know whether I should be trying to rebuild what I have or seeking new versions of the ROMs and why files that I have and are recognised in the old version of MAME are "not found" in the new version.

Edited by Napalmhardcore (03/04/15 11:03 AM)

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> MAMEUI & IV/Play
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert 
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3683