MAMEWorld Central >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Posts: 1001
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM


$6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed?
#358629 - 09/13/16 07:44 PM


$6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed?:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6950X (10 cores, 25MB Cache, Turbo Boost Max 3.0, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz

Memory: 32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz

Video Cards: Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1080 Founder's Edition with 8GB GDDR5X each (NVIDIA SLI® Enabled)

Hard Drives: 512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 3x 4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

Edited by Big Karnak (09/14/16 03:58 AM)



B2K24
Evolution is a mystery
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2439
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Big Karnak]
#358631 - 09/13/16 08:15 PM


You upgrading your P3 rig to that?






Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Posts: 4347
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Big Karnak]
#358639 - 09/14/16 12:48 AM


> $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed:
>
> Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6950X (10 cores, 25MB Cache, Turbo Boost Max 3.0,
> Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz
>
> Memory: 32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
>
> Video Cards: Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1080 Founder's Edition with 8GB GDDR5X each
> (NVIDIA SLI® Enabled)
>
> Hard Drives: 512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 3x 4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

This won't run everything in MAME at full speed.

Why post such bullshit?



Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Posts: 1001
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: B2K24]
#358642 - 09/14/16 03:49 AM



Quote:


You upgrading your P3 rig to that?



Hey! I have a P4, 3.0 GHz... not a P3, you got that Buster? (poking you in the chest)

And no, I wish I was upgrading to that. I went to the Alienware website and customized their most high end model with the best technology it had to offer. I wanted to see how much it would cost.


Quote:


This won't run everything in MAME at full speed. Why post such bullshit?



It was meant as a question, but I forgot to include the question mark at the end. What arcade game wouldn't it be able to run at full speed? It has a whopping 10 cores at 4.2 GHz. Years ago, IIRC, somebody said to run every game at full speed a 8.0 GHz processor was needed. Is that true?



redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 3949
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Big Karnak]
#358653 - 09/14/16 12:10 PM


Tryout 39 in 1 and let us know your frame rate.



Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Posts: 4347
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Big Karnak]
#358654 - 09/14/16 12:17 PM


> This won't run everything in MAME at full speed. Why post such bullshit?
> It was meant as a question, but I forgot to include the question mark at the end.
> What arcade game wouldn't it be able to run at full speed? It has a whopping 10 cores
> at 4.2 GHz. Years ago, IIRC, somebody said to run every game at full speed a 8.0 GHz
> processor was needed. Is that true?

it'll run the things pretty much as fast as any other 4.2ghz i7

maybe slower than some of the ones with less cores, because from what I've seen the ones with more cores don't overclock quite as well and there's really nothing in MAME that will benefit from 10 cores.

The Chihiro driver runs at about 3-4% on my 4ghz i7... so extrapolating that you'd need hmm.. a 140ghz i7 to hit full speed, not even accounting for places where it might be slower.



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2688
Send PM


According to this video, multi-core units have 'hidden' cores.... new [Re: Haze]
#358664 - 09/14/16 11:06 PM


That is, they're back-ups in case of failure.





Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Posts: 3978
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Big Karnak]
#359688 - 10/16/16 03:54 PM


> Hey! I have a P4, 3.0 GHz... not a P3, you got that Buster? (poking you in the chest)

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat. My MAME box is an Athlon64 X2. I recently got it back up to date after a long hiatus, and I was pretty sad to discover that the number of games I can run at 100% has actually decreased quite a bit. I've been watching the Craigslist free section lately. I figure at this point, people are probably throwing out machines that would be an upgrade for me.



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2688
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: DMala]
#359697 - 10/16/16 10:05 PM


> I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat. My MAME box is an Athlon64 X2. I recently got it back up to date after a long hiatus, and I was pretty sad to discover that the number of games I can run at 100% has actually decreased quite a bit. I've been watching the Craigslist free section lately. I figure at this point, people are probably throwing out machines that would be an upgrade for me.


I had problems if I wanted to run HLSL, which I do, and otherwise was okay with almost anything non-3D. wish I hadn't purchased used just before krick's post of new components, as I probably spent about the same, and have had far more trouble. (I did look up building my own, but didn't find what he found.) Still thinking about it.....



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



R. Belmont
Cookoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9544
Loc: Klaatu Nebula
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Big Karnak]
#359712 - 10/17/16 04:56 PM


Alienware is bullshit.

For around $500 you can hit Newegg and get a Core i7-6700K, a motherboard, and 16 GB of DDR4 DRAM. Re-use your existing case, power supply, video card, etc. and run everything in MAME at full speed that's currently feasible to do so (and probably everything that will become feasible in the future). Bonus: your system will almost certainly be cooler/quieter than what you're upgrading from. The power per watt on the 6700K is the truth.

Edited by R. Belmont (10/17/16 04:58 PM)



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2688
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: R. Belmont]
#359766 - 10/20/16 05:38 AM


> Bonus: your system will almost certainly be cooler/quieter than what you're upgrading from. The power per watt on the 6700K is the truth.


Not if your old video card is loud. With the room silent, and me sitting next to my machines, I don't even know they're on. Is there a decent, inexpensive, quiet card?



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Posts: 573
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM


Re: According to this video, multi-core units have 'hidden' cores.... new [Re: Traso]
#359777 - 10/21/16 01:31 AM


Don't waste your time with this farce.
It's BS



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2688
Send PM


Re: According to this video, multi-core units have 'hidden' cores.... new [Re: TrevEB]
#359792 - 10/21/16 08:53 PM


> Don't waste your time with this farce.
> It's BS


Lots of folks on there seem to have experienced improved performance. I haven't tried it....



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Posts: 351
Send PM


Re: According to this video, multi-core units have 'hidden' cores.... new [Re: Traso]
#359808 - 10/22/16 03:42 AM


OMG... Traso... this is the biggest BS video, talking about doubling CPU cores i have ever seen. This is just HyperThreading, nothing more or less. Do you even read comments or look at likes vs. dislikes while watching Youtube videos ???

If your CPU and BIOS of mainboard supports it, you just need to enable it in the BIOS.

Just dont post such videos, people will watch it and give him even more views. This dude needs a nice punch in his dull face.



R. Belmont
Cookoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9544
Loc: Klaatu Nebula
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Traso]
#359894 - 10/24/16 08:18 PM


> > Bonus: your system will almost certainly be cooler/quieter than what you're
> upgrading from. The power per watt on the 6700K is the truth.
>
>
> Not if your old video card is loud. With the room silent, and me sitting next to my
> machines, I don't even know they're on. Is there a decent, inexpensive, quiet card?

The 1000-series Nvidia cards had power/heat reduction as a design point, and my 1080 is very quiet just doing normal desktop compositing. If I crank up GTA V at 4K it does make some noise, but still a lot less than the 780 it replaced. A 1060 wouldn't be inexpensive exactly, but it should be both capable and quiet.



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2688
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: R. Belmont]
#359908 - 10/25/16 12:20 AM


> The 1000-series Nvidia cards had power/heat reduction as a design point, and my 1080 is very quiet just doing normal desktop compositing. If I crank up GTA V at 4K it does make some noise, but still a lot less than the 780 it replaced. A 1060 wouldn't be inexpensive exactly, but it should be both capable and quiet.


I guess $200-ish for a decent card is worth it. Big jump to the 1080.



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



R. Belmont
Cookoo for Konami
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9544
Loc: Klaatu Nebula
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Traso]
#359953 - 10/26/16 09:05 PM


> > The 1000-series Nvidia cards had power/heat reduction as a design point, and my
> 1080 is very quiet just doing normal desktop compositing. If I crank up GTA V at 4K
> it does make some noise, but still a lot less than the 780 it replaced. A 1060
> wouldn't be inexpensive exactly, but it should be both capable and quiet.
>
>
> I guess $200-ish for a decent card is worth it. Big jump to the 1080.

The 1050 and 1050 Ti just came out for around $130 and $150, respectively, and they sound great for MAME and even some fairly heavy duty gaming with low power/heat.



DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Posts: 351
Send PM


Re: According to this video, multi-core units have 'hidden' cores.... new [Re: Traso]
#360045 - 10/28/16 11:26 AM


> That is, they're back-ups in case of failure.

read the video description :

Quote:


NOTE - This video is a joke.....




Edited by DaffyDuck (10/28/16 11:45 AM)



Daffy Duck



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2688
Send PM


Re: According to this video, multi-core units have 'hidden' cores.... new [Re: DaffyDuck]
#360105 - 10/30/16 09:44 PM


> > That is, they're back-ups in case of failure.
>
> read the video description :
> NOTE - This video is a joke.....


Last night I went back to watch it and noticed that. Totally gay. It's not funny. I mean, there's no comedy in it. He should take all those vids off.



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



GatinhoModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Posts: 5743
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: R. Belmont]
#364089 - 03/06/17 07:46 AM


Hi RB,

Assuming you are going to build an arcade cabinet (which I am - introducing the youngest kid plus my first MAME cab was pretty severely damaged in a move and has never been quite right since), then you wouldn't even need a case, just snap all that stuff together mounted to the cab. Can you imagine any pitfalls doing this?

I only ask because I'm in the process of gathering and researching materials for my next build. My previous cabs I've always just used old tower PC's from the house (didn't even buy new stuff), but I figured assembling a computer can't be all that hard, so I decided to start with new this time, and just to assemble my own on this build.

So far I'm looking at (from Newegg)

Core i7-6700K link $309

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard link $154

HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM link $104

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING Graphics card link $139

HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM (I assume 4T is enough) link $149

Rosewill ARC-450, ARC Series 450W Power Supply link $39

So then, I was planning Windows OS just due to familiarity. $100

Skipping any optical drive, and no additional fans since everything that needs one seems to comes with one, bringing my grand total to $994, about half of what it would be in a Dell case, for example.

Opinions?

[edit to add: I don't know brands from Adam, so I'm not married to any of the above, if there are better reputed components to consider.]

Edited by Gatinho (03/06/17 08:03 AM)



krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Posts: 4123
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: Gatinho]
#364106 - 03/07/17 05:45 AM


Before dropping $309 on an i7, consider a Pentium G3258 for $73...
http://www.outletpc.com/ao2466-intel-pentium-g3258.html

Compare both CPUs overclocked to 4.5GHz...
http://mameui.info/Bench.htm

You can easily overclock the G3258 to 4.0GHz or 4.2GHz (the same as the i7-6700K turbo speed)

You can run it on an $87 motherboard...
http://www.outletpc.com/kv9369-asrock-z97-anniversary-motherboard.html

The CPU + MB you picked = $463
The CPU + MB I picked = $160
Savings = $303

The i7 is probably more future-proof, especially if MAME becomes even more multi-threaded (the G3258 is dual core) but it's up to you to decide if it's worth $300 more.

If you're overclocking inside of a closed cabinet, you may need to get an aftermarket CPU cooler (for overclocking either CPU). The stock coolers may not cut it. This seems like a good choice...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Also, I always recommend using a case (even a really cheap case) because the case exhaust/intake fans are an important part of the cooling. Air has to move through the case to cool the motherboard chipset heatsinks and it also helps move hot air away from the CPU and GPU coolers. Without the case airflow, the hot air just hangs around the hot spots.



Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Posts: 4347
Send PM


Re: $6,000 Gaming PC that can play every game in MAME at full speed new [Re: krick]
#364108 - 03/07/17 07:02 PM


> Before dropping $309 on an i7, consider a Pentium G3258 for $73...
> http://www.outletpc.com/ao2466-intel-pentium-g3258.html
>
> Compare both CPUs overclocked to 4.5GHz...
> http://mameui.info/Bench.htm
>
> You can easily overclock the G3258 to 4.0GHz or 4.2GHz (the same as the i7-6700K
> turbo speed)
>
> You can run it on an $87 motherboard...
> http://www.outletpc.com/kv9369-asrock-z97-anniversary-motherboard.html
>
> The CPU + MB you picked = $463
> The CPU + MB I picked = $160
> Savings = $303
>
> The i7 is probably more future-proof, especially if MAME becomes even more
> multi-threaded (the G3258 is dual core) but it's up to you to decide if it's worth
> $300 more.
>
> If you're overclocking inside of a closed cabinet, you may need to get an aftermarket
> CPU cooler (for overclocking either CPU). The stock coolers may not cut it. This
> seems like a good choice...
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
>
> Also, I always recommend using a case (even a really cheap case) because the case
> exhaust/intake fans are an important part of the cooling. Air has to move through the
> case to cool the motherboard chipset heatsinks and it also helps move hot air away
> from the CPU and GPU coolers. Without the case airflow, the hot air just hangs around
> the hot spots.

however, something you should consider is that the top end games in MAME benefit greatly from 4 cores instead of 2.

benchmarks aren't everything, so while the 2 core chip might run a lot of things almost as fast as the much more expensive 4 core i7 it will fail miserably on many of the cases that might be targets.


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld Central >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2460