MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Posts: 683
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM


Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade...
#360336 - 11/12/16 10:45 PM


And have a blast. The AVGN, Black Nerd (Comedy), and Nostalgia Critic at Galloping Ghost Arcade near Chicago, if anyone cares. I was last there a year and a half ago- I have to go back one of these days.




CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Posts: 980
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#360338 - 11/12/16 11:33 PM


What's the name of the game at 0:38-0:40 ?



JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Posts: 336
Send PM


Total Carnage [nt] new [Re: CTOJAH]
#360339 - 11/12/16 11:37 PM





CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Posts: 980
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM


That was quicky - THANX :) new [Re: JWJr]
#360340 - 11/12/16 11:42 PM


-nt-



Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Posts: 683
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#360341 - 11/13/16 12:48 AM


They have (well, when I was there) a lot of two-in-one games. Just flip the switch and play the other game. I'm surprised they didn't touch on that. Unless GG doesn't have them anymore- it's been the better part of two years after all.



Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Posts: 3815
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#360344 - 11/13/16 06:36 AM


I hate places that have the games on freeplay, it encourages repeatedly continuing just to see the ending. They should have them at 5˘ or something, so you still have to think about whether you're going to feed credits. At the end of the video they say something about "how they were meant to be played" but that's not what freeplay is at all.



GatinhoModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Posts: 5811
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#360346 - 11/13/16 08:24 AM


> They have (well, when I was there) a lot of two-in-one games. Just flip the switch
> and play the other game. I'm surprised they didn't touch on that. Unless GG doesn't
> have them anymore- it's been the better part of two years after all.


I was there, what, a month ago, and I don't remember any like that. They may have been there, but definitely not a prominent part of things.







Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2687
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#360355 - 11/13/16 09:36 PM


> I hate places that have the games on freeplay, it encourages repeatedly continuing just to see the ending. They should have them at 5˘ or something, so you still have to think about whether you're going to feed credits. At the end of the video they say something about "how they were meant to be played" but that's not what freeplay is at all.


Eh. If a game has to be replayed, it's because it isn't fun enough to start over. Note, I VERY rarely use sta to return to a game, and then almost invariably it's because I want to take a break from it, not 'continue', because you can't continue those games.



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)



Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Posts: 683
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Gatinho]
#360359 - 11/13/16 09:49 PM


> > They have (well, when I was there) a lot of two-in-one games. Just flip the switch
> > and play the other game. I'm surprised they didn't touch on that. Unless GG doesn't
> > have them anymore- it's been the better part of two years after all.
>
>
> I was there, what, a month ago, and I don't remember any like that. They may have
> been there, but definitely not a prominent part of things.

I think most were in the room to the left/back of the front counter (shoot-em-up area). Usually they had a game and a sequel, like two Raiden games, or 1942/1943. I know they are always updating their cabs, but I can't imagine all of them have been replaced.



Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Posts: 683
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#360361 - 11/13/16 09:51 PM


> I hate places that have the games on freeplay, it encourages repeatedly continuing
> just to see the ending. They should have them at 5˘ or something, so you still have
> to think about whether you're going to feed credits. At the end of the video they say
> something about "how they were meant to be played" but that's not what freeplay is at
> all.

True, but they probably meant playing the games in their original cabinets using original controls as opposed to MAME and an Xbox/PS controller.



yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Posts: 1161
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#360392 - 11/14/16 07:38 PM


> I hate places that have the games on freeplay

Agree 100%

However, by doing this they skirt the legality of
coin-operated devices and the permits / licenses
they require. By acting as a museum or showroom
with an admission cost, there's no need for permits.
This also nets them a fair revenue.

The worse, though, are time-based situations.
I once effectively paid $4 to play one game of
Burgertime due to cost-per-hour structure.

Lastly, I notice freeplay arcades are less inclined
to worry about game playability issues, since you
did not lose money in any one game, you can be
instructed to merely "play something else!"



Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Posts: 2687
Send PM


Re: Two nerds and a critic walk into an arcade... new [Re: yaggy]
#360403 - 11/15/16 06:51 PM


> > I hate places that have the games on freeplay
>
> Agree 100%
>
> However, by doing this they skirt the legality of
> coin-operated devices and the permits / licenses
> they require. By acting as a museum or showroom
> with an admission cost, there's no need for permits.
> This also nets them a fair revenue.
>
> The worse, though, are time-based situations.
> I once effectively paid $4 to play one game of
> Burgertime due to cost-per-hour structure.
>
> Lastly, I notice freeplay arcades are less inclined
> to worry about game playability issues, since you
> did not lose money in any one game, you can be
> instructed to merely "play something else!"



Since I'm not a po' boy no mo, I don't worry about money lost. I'm concerned for the functioning of the game.

Also, the opportunity to play a real Burgertime I think is worth a few bucks if you're good enough to play that long.

Lastly, in this day, pretty much whatever methods help a retro facility to operate are fine with me.



Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.
_________________

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
2 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1437