MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Well That Was Unexpected (Some of the Stolen Chips Recovered)
#361513 - 12/21/16 12:45 AM

Quote:

Update (6th December 2016)(Guru's page)
Looks like someone (known as 'Caps0ff') has got hold of my chip stash and is doing some decapping/deprotecting and dumping.
So far the remaining i8751 MCU's have been done (which requires erasing the security bits then reading it out using an EPROM programmer).
I guess not everything will be done due to lack of the higher-end equipment required for the more obscure or heavily protected devices but hopefully this continues for a while and we will see some more progress with chip decapping & dumping.
In any case, this is GREAT news :-D
My sincere thanks to whoever is doing it. T-H-A-N-K-S !!

If that is indeed true, that's certainly great to see.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Well That Was Unexpected new [Re: Master O]
#361515 - 12/21/16 01:20 AM

Quote:

If that is indeed true, that's certainly great to see.

Agreed!! It's been a while since i last read that page and i recall seeing alotta chips marked as stolen,going by the latest update to that list are we to believe from the change in status eg no longer marked as stolen that those chips have somehow been recovered..??

Although gotta admit my first thought here is CapsOff and Chris T are very likely the same person.

Arcade Addict

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Well That Was Unexpected new [Re: gamez fan]
#361531 - 12/21/16 11:54 AM

> If that is indeed true, that's certainly great to see.

It's true, though naturally Guru doesn't know Caps0ff, and is just making random (unfounded) conjecture about the guy's skillset.

From the people I've talked to who know him, he can give Tarnovsky a run for his money in terms of what he can do. Though, in fairness, the i8751 dumping was in fact pretty easy, as there is indeed a quick and easy exploit for those chips. However, Caps0ff has also dumped the Taito M-Chip for Extermination, and at the very least I don't think the M-Chip has a UV window like the i8751s do, so the guy had to at least have gotten a little bit more down-and-dirty to dump it.

> Agreed!! It's been a while since i last read that page and i recall seeing alotta
> chips marked as stolen,going by the latest update to that list are we to believe from
> the change in status eg no longer marked as stolen that those chips have somehow been
> recovered..??

The chips have been recovered, and the guy has provided an inventory and an explanation to Vas Crabb, who has kindly posted the inventory and relevant information here: http://arcade.vastheman.com/decap/

> Although gotta admit my first thought here is CapsOff and Chris T are very likely the
> same person.

They're definitely not the same person.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Well That Was Unexpected new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361536 - 12/21/16 01:52 PM

Amazing!! Great news, sounds like Santa came earlier this year...

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#361537 - 12/21/16 02:56 PM

> > If that is indeed true, that's certainly great to see.
>
> It's true, though naturally Guru doesn't know Caps0ff, and is just making random
> (unfounded) conjecture about the guy's skillset.
>
> From the people I've talked to who know him, he can give Tarnovsky a run for his
> money in terms of what he can do. Though, in fairness, the i8751 dumping was in fact
> pretty easy, as there is indeed a quick and easy exploit for those chips. However,
> Caps0ff has also dumped the Taito M-Chip for Extermination, and at the very least I
> don't think the M-Chip has a UV window like the i8751s do, so the guy had to at least
> have gotten a little bit more down-and-dirty to dump it.
>
> > Agreed!! It's been a while since i last read that page and i recall seeing alotta
> > chips marked as stolen,going by the latest update to that list are we to believe
> from
> > the change in status eg no longer marked as stolen that those chips have somehow
> been
> > recovered..??
>
> The chips have been recovered, and the guy has provided an inventory and an
> explanation to Vas Crabb, who has kindly posted the inventory and relevant
> information here: http://arcade.vastheman.com/decap/
>
> > Although gotta admit my first thought here is CapsOff and Chris T are very likely
> the
> > same person.
>
> They're definitely not the same person.

I'd actually argue that these guys are *more* capable than Tarnovsky, but yes, at the very least on the same level.

It's basically a good result for all concerned.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#361550 - 12/21/16 11:23 PM

> > If that is indeed true, that's certainly great to see.
>
> It's true, though naturally Guru doesn't know Caps0ff, and is just making random
> (unfounded) conjecture about the guy's skillset.

Guru does know who it is; he actually told me before the blowup on the DU list. Also who the MAMEdev is that facilitated handing over the chips.

Nobody knows this guy's specific capability in terms of security breaking; Tarnovsky had a long paper trail on that and Caps0ff doesn't, but he's certainly been doing a great job thus far.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

RE: new [Re: Master O]
#361557 - 12/22/16 12:16 AM

Guru must've skip those for a reason. So he made his move on the chips. Guru just pissed. lol

Anyway. All gave back at the end. Even though Caps0ff got the credit for doing the work.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1715