View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Tell me about cool MAME and MESS sh*t
#362807 - 01/23/17 03:01 PM

People have done a lot of cool shit with MAME and MESS over the past (almost) 20 years. I'm making a video about it. One of my favorite bitpop bands gave me permission to use one of my favorite songs from them, so now I really have no excuse not to make it.

I'm aware of some of the cool shit that people have done, but nowhere near all of it. I want to be informed about all of the cool shit.

Send me private messages or post in-thread here with cool shit that you think should go in a video. Preferably in the form of links to videos, screenshots, or websites with either.

There's no real criteria other than it be cool shit. A feature you like? Something cool that someone else did that's even tangentially MAME-related, like SailorSat's resurrection of her Wing War Twin arcade cabinet, or Zektor's Vector Generator board Sky's the limit.

Kitsune Sniper
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Send PM

Re: Tell me about cool MAME and MESS sh*t new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362813 - 01/23/17 08:33 PM

> People have done a lot of cool shit with MAME and MESS over the past (almost) 20
> years. I'm making a video about it. One of my favorite bitpop bands gave me
> permission to use one of my favorite songs from them, so now I really have no excuse
> not to make it.
>
> I'm aware of some of the cool shit that people have done, but nowhere near all of it.
> I want to be informed about all of the cool shit.
>
> Send me private messages or post in-thread here with cool shit that you think should
> go in a video. Preferably in the form of links to videos, screenshots, or websites
> with either.
>
> There's no real criteria other than it be cool shit. A feature you like? Something
> cool that someone else did that's even tangentially MAME-related, like SailorSat's
> resurrection of her Wing War Twin arcade cabinet, or Zektor's Vector Generator board
> Sky's the limit.

Being able to find hidden stuff, such as developer credits, or outright disabled features in games. See: Most of The Cutting Room Floor's arcade category.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Aum....where's the reference? (nt) new [Re: Kitsune Sniper]
#362818 - 01/23/17 11:53 PM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Some clarification new [Re: Kitsune Sniper]
#362830 - 01/24/17 02:04 AM

> Being able to find hidden stuff, such as developer credits, or outright disabled
> features in games. See: Most of The Cutting Room Floor's arcade category.

I agree that that stuff is very cool. However, it's important that the showcased things meet one of the two following criteria:

1. Is easily self-explanatory and/or recognizable for what it is within the span of 2-3 seconds as a still image, or
2. Is easily self-explanatory and/or recognizable as being MAME-related or arcade-related in the form of a 5-10 second video clip.

Anything that relies purely on audio or is mostly audio-related is pretty much not going to fly, as the video will have this backing track.

I actually hate (for a change) to sound like a prick, but I really, really, need the suggestions to be in as directly usable form as possible. I'd like to start putting this video together ASAFP, so I can't really be spending much time chasing down vague suggestions like "VectorMAME for ZVG or whatever", "the times MAMEdev have talked places (Aaron at CAX, Micko's talk)", or "the first mention of MAME in a magazine". I have barely a week and a half to get non-rusty at either Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere, collate potentially hundreds of screenshots, write a bespoke program to generate an uncompressed AVI containing a translucent scrolling marquee of all MAME and DU contributors once Vas Crabb gets me the list, and also figure out how to integrate a video visualization of MAME's source repository changes once Olivier Galibert gets me that.

I realize that the lion's share of the effort is mine to deal with since it was my bad idea to pick this up with less than two weeks until the 20th anniversary, but 95%+ of the effort is going to be putting the video together, refining it, making sure it messages well, and making sure that it is paced well and flows together nicely.

So please, throw me a bone, in the form of direct links to websites that I can grab content off of, direct links to videos that I can clip segments out of, or direct links to screenshots that I can throw into the video.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Some requests new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362833 - 01/24/17 03:11 AM

I have a few requests of things for other people to chase down while I work on re-familiarizing myself with Adobe Premiere. Ideally, I'd like clips to be in uncompressed AVI format and put on mega.co.nz for me to download, though I will also accept losslessly-compressed videos, or even lossy-compressed (but high-quality-encoded) clips if I have to:

1. "Stupid MESS Tricks" - A video of loading and browsing the Bannister.org forums or some other emulation-related site on an emulated Mac. A video of running some early version(s) of MAME, most likely in one of the PC drivers.

2. Carl's hitbox-viewer script for Lua - a video of it in action. I haven't the slightest idea how to go about using the script, so if any of you do, please download OBS and spin me up a script showing it off.

3. A video showing off MAME's debugger, maybe even the ImGUI debugger since it would be the easiest to get running, but I'd prefer to show how we have debugger support using native widgets. Do something cool with it, I don't know - add comments to the disassembly, pop out a bunch of different windows, alter the color of some of the lines of disassembly (I think that's possible).

4. 4. A video showing off MAME's HLSL CRT post-processing, or the BGFX equivalent chain ("hlsl"). Make sure it's a game that is really slick-looking when run through the filter. If possible, do a separate video showing off switching BGFX screen chains "live".

5. A video, or multiple videos (maybe 3-4, so I have a choice in case one doesn't 'work' visually) showing off MAME's handheld emulation, including vectorized artwork. Hopefully hap can chase this one down.

6. Links to Aaron's talk(s) at CAX, Micko's talk(s) at whatever conventions he's been to, and videos of any other speaking engagements that MAME team members have had.

7. I've heard rumors of someone using VectorMAME or DVMAME and a ZVG board to throw Star Wars or some other vector game onto the side of a building. If true, I'd love to see a video or images of that. If not, I'd love just as much to see a video or images of any other large-format, so to speak, uses of MAME.

8. I know MAME has been mentioned at least a few times in print media. Scans of said print media would be awesome.

Kitsune Sniper
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Send PM

Re: Some clarification new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362836 - 01/24/17 05:48 AM

It's okay, you don't sound like a prick. Honestly? Traso's comment bothered me more than you could ever do. If I'm going to get corrected, I prefer to hear it from the person who asked for the help, rather than by a confirmed idiot with no say in what you are trying to create.

I'll get back to you with some proper information when I have a chance.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Some requests new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362858 - 01/24/17 11:32 PM

For #8 I think it was called laser MAME? The stuff on youtube is fairly low quality.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040617221334/http://games.lasers.org/index.shtml

Found a bit of hackaday stuff on it http://hackaday.com/2013/03/12/playing-mame-games-on-a-rgb-laser-projector/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrKB3Utu-G4

I too remember at one point someone throwing it up on the side of a MIT(?) building. Not having much luck finding it.

Found this CNET review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MneNbxFcp8 Not sure you will get much out of that...

Would be kinda cool to see if you could get the orig website MAME went up on but I am having 0 luck with archive.org.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld Central >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  redk9258, URherenow, Tafoid 
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 898