MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Views on Retroarch cores vs MAME (playability)
#364405 - 03/19/17 01:04 PM

I'm on deployment, so no downloading and playing with stuff for myself. Did a search for retroarch and the first page of results didn't exactly cover my question...

How does retroarch do in comparison to MAME with regards to all the stuff that was merged from MESS? Not in terms of accuracy, but playability?

Can I use the very same files from the most recent MAME and play them with retroarch?

What does Retroarch do that MAME does not, and vice versa?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Views on Retroarch cores vs MAME (playability) new [Re: URherenow]
#364417 - 03/19/17 04:49 PM

> I'm on deployment, so no downloading and playing with stuff for myself. Did a search
> for retroarch and the first page of results didn't exactly cover my question...
>
> How does retroarch do in comparison to MAME with regards to all the stuff that was
> merged from MESS? Not in terms of accuracy, but playability?
>
> Can I use the very same files from the most recent MAME and play them with retroarch?
>
> What does Retroarch do that MAME does not, and vice versa?

Retroarch isn't an emulator, it's a frontend, although most people seem to think it's an emulator because it gets bundled with all the cores.

Think of Retroarch as some ultra-dumbed down console like experience, no real flexibility, everything has to fit a 'console-like' model, lowest common denominator stuff, advanced functionality is lost, black box, nobody cares about how bad any of the code is as long as it 'works'.

The cores are just hacked up, recompiled versions of old emulators so often considered 'more mature' than the MAME ones, because they do a 'better' job, but at the same time it's very much anti-development, the cores don't work together, it's just existing emulators glued into one place with no sharing of core code, no mutual benefits, no reason to try and write PROPER code that works across multiple systems, but instead basically relying on incomplete 'good enough' per-game/system implementations of things. Compare it with MAME where the individual CPU cores and device cores are tested and refined by their use across many, many systems, with every system acting as a verification that a change is good.

It's a bad thing for development in that sense, because people will use it and claim it's better and kill any drive people have to try and write better emulation code for the various components. It can be very demotivating for people who are trying to do things right if everybody keeps claiming the people who aren't doing anything are doing it better. For future generations it's important to nail down the emulation of each component so you have a M68000 core that accurately emulates the M68000 and can be reused anywhere, not 5 different M68000 incompatible M68000 cores written to different that emulate only a subset of features needed by one specific piece of hardware so can't easily be reused. MAME has spent a lot of time moving away from the 'per game implementation' model, instead unifying components and improving things along the way for the benefit of everybody, the RA line of thinking pulls things back in the other direction, it's a regressive way of thinking.

Personally I consider it a parasitic cancer for this reason, I know that's maybe not the most popular opinion, but it presents a false impression of being something better without actually doing anything at all to encourage emulation development, more encouraging people to hang onto older emulation cores. Unfortunately, as people are generally selfish and can't see outside of their own bubble of 'want to play free games' it continues to gain popularity despite all this. Convincing people that developing a proper well-tested unified code-base is a much more important cause is practically impossible because they simply don't care.

RA contributes nothing at all to actual emulation, just keep that in mind, especially if considering donations or the like.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#364426 - 03/19/17 07:23 PM

> Can I use the very same files from the most recent MAME and play them with retroarch?

From what I understand you're locked into whatever version is in their core. For MAME it could be as many as 10 or 20 versions behind(Possibly more). I can't even tell from their site which version of an emulator is considered their latest core.

For MAME it makes absolutely no sense to use RA considering it's basically extract and go with either ini settings or inserting what you want at command line to be very flexible.

I am interested tho in the CRT-Royale filter, but there's no way I'm installing all that crap just to give it a look.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Views on Retroarch cores vs MAME (playability) new [Re: B2K24]
#364482 - 03/20/17 05:27 PM

If it wasn't for the rather nice CRT shader packs available for some of the old 8 & 16bit systems I wouldn't touch RetroArch TBH.

..Its a very flaky app to use and I've usually found it to be more trouble than it's worth.

It's also very picky about what ISO dumps it will run with.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#364490 - 03/20/17 07:12 PM

> I'm on deployment, so no downloading and playing with stuff for myself. Did a search
> for retroarch and the first page of results didn't exactly cover my question...
>
> How does retroarch do in comparison to MAME with regards to all the stuff that was
> merged from MESS? Not in terms of accuracy, but playability?
>
>
> What does Retroarch do that MAME does not, and vice versa?

I use Retroarch when i don't have any other alternative or unsatisfying ones (for example on the GPD XD).

But emu-politics aside (even if what Haze spotted is really important), it's a very hard and counter intuitive frontend to use.

I won't see the point about using it in Windows. It has the merit to exist where nothing else exists, but the unifiyed interface is barely a point when you're so user unfriendly.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Views on Retroarch cores vs MAME (playability) new [Re: remax]
#364492 - 03/20/17 07:40 PM

> > I'm on deployment, so no downloading and playing with stuff for myself. Did a
> search
> > for retroarch and the first page of results didn't exactly cover my question...
> >
> > How does retroarch do in comparison to MAME with regards to all the stuff that was
> > merged from MESS? Not in terms of accuracy, but playability?
> >
> > Can I use the very same files from the most recent MAME and play them with
> retroarch?
> >
> > What does Retroarch do that MAME does not, and vice versa?
>
> I use Retroarch when i don't have any other alternative or unsatisfying ones (for
> example on the GPD XD).
>
> But emu-politics aside (even if what Haze spotted is really important), it's a very
> hard and counter intuitive frontend to use.
>
> I won't see the point about using it in Windows. It has the merit to exist where
> nothing else exists, but the unifiyed interface is barely a point when you're so user
> unfriendly.

Interesting point of view, typically this is actually the opposite of what I usually hear from people.

I've set up RetroArch for people before in cases where they need it to 'just work' and be user friendly, as in you have a Dualshock connected to a PC, you launch the app, point it at a ROM and it 'just works' with all the buttons mapped exactly as you'd expect for whatever pad you have connected, interface and games.

The interface is basically just a 1:1 copy of the Playstation 3 interface (to the point where I wonder why Sony haven't just sued them)

I don't like it, but I'd actually say ease of use was it's *only* strength, although yeah, maybe if you consider ease of use to include the ability to actually do anything complex, it sucks.

For anybody with an ounce of technical skill I just give them the proper emulators because I think it makes more sense to do so as you're not having to run crippled versions of them.

Also I see it's rather hilarious, claiming they'll never ask for money, yet now with a Patreon site to raise money to 'port cores' (ie hack up somebody else's work)

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: Views on Retroarch cores vs MAME (playability) new [Re: Haze]
#364520 - 03/21/17 07:20 AM

> Interesting point of view, typically this is actually the opposite of what I usually
> hear from people.
>
> I've set up RetroArch for people before in cases where they need it to 'just work'
> and be user friendly, as in you have a Dualshock connected to a PC, you launch the
> app, point it at a ROM and it 'just works' with all the buttons mapped exactly as
> you'd expect for whatever pad you have connected, interface and games.
>
> The interface is basically just a 1:1 copy of the Playstation 3 interface (to the
> point where I wonder why Sony haven't just sued them)
>
> I don't like it, but I'd actually say ease of use was it's *only* strength, although
> yeah, maybe if you consider ease of use to include the ability to actually do
> anything complex, it sucks.
>
> For anybody with an ounce of technical skill I just give them the proper emulators
> because I think it makes more sense to do so as you're not having to run crippled
> versions of them.
>
> Also I see it's rather hilarious, claiming they'll never ask for money, yet now with
> a Patreon site to raise money to 'port cores' (ie hack up somebody else's work)

If you really really don't go above click and launch then yes it's not that hard. But many frontends do a better job in term of eye candy/ease of use.

But as soon as you try to setup more complex emulator like MAME, you start to bang your head on the wall (and i have years of experience of setting up frontends).
The integrated rom list system for example is nothing but a very bad design : For MAME you need to match the CRC of the zip files themselves, not the roms inside !

Moreover, The playstation 3 interface is far from being available on every platform it's been ported, and the default interface (the black and green one, like on the Wii, or the white one, like on Android) are totally not user friendly.

And for Windows/Linux, there are stronger alternatives.

Edited by remax (03/21/17 07:21 AM)

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Thanks for the insight new [Re: Haze]
#364524 - 03/21/17 12:38 PM

Doesn't sound good at all. But I'll still probably play around with the 3ds port just for kicks. Dunno why I get a kick out of running things like Windows 95 on my N3DS, even though it doesn't really run well

Edit: Is it extremely difficult to port the current MAME to 3DS? Nevermind playability, but to even get it to a state where it will build with devkitARM seems like too much trouble to me. Then there are differences in hardware access between a .3dsx and installing a .cia.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Haze
Send PM

Re: Thanks for the insight new [Re: URherenow]
#364542 - 03/21/17 10:49 PM

> Doesn't sound good at all. But I'll still probably play around with the 3ds port just
> for kicks. Dunno why I get a kick out of running things like Windows 95 on my N3DS,
> even though it doesn't really run well
>
>
> Edit: Is it extremely difficult to port the current MAME to 3DS? Nevermind
> playability, but to even get it to a state where it will build with devkitARM seems
> like too much trouble to me. Then there are differences in hardware access between a
> .3dsx and installing a .cia.

Talking about MAME ports to systems that require jailbreaking and potentially linking with license incompatible libraries isn't really a valid subject of conversation here.

but apparently the original 3DS used a 268Mhz processor, and the new one uses a 804Mhz processor. With those speeds (especially the original model) even running a lot of the OLD versions people run on hardware is a bad idea, you're not going to get authentic emulation at those clock speeds. It's not really hardware that is well suited to running emulators and I imagine anybody with enough skill to port them realises that before they even start.

I definitely don't recommend MAME on that hardware, as there's no way it could run a current version, and the old versions are just plain bad.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Views on Retroarch cores vs MAME (playability) new [Re: B2K24]
#364550 - 03/22/17 06:40 AM

> > Can I use the very same files from the most recent MAME and play them with
> retroarch?
>
>
> From what I understand you're locked into whatever version is in their core. For MAME
> it could be as many as 10 or 20 versions behind(Possibly more). I can't even tell
> from their site which version of an emulator is considered their latest core.
>
> For MAME it makes absolutely no sense to use RA considering it's basically extract
> and go with either ini settings or inserting what you want at command line to be very
> flexible.
>
> I am interested tho in the CRT-Royale filter, but there's no way I'm installing all
> that crap just to give it a look.

Easiest way to tell the version is to look on github at the libretro library. https://github.com/libretro/mame Best I can tell they stay fairly close to each official release then sync after that. I do not really understand why they bother to track 7 different various versions of MAME. It is a rather odd decision and leads to much confusion as to what to grab. You can see they do it with other cores too. Its update system leaves a lot to be desired.

These sorts of things have their place. I use it once in a while for some stuff as it is fairly easy to setup once you understand the odd way it does things. I use it mostly because it is just sorta easier than trolling a few different websites for that one emu. I know kinda lazy . Play whatever it is I wanted to nostalgia over and then blow it away. But most of the time I stick to MAME and qmc2.

If you require the latest and greatest stuff? Just go get the emu from the main sites.

It will get interesting in a few months when KODI 18 comes out. libretro looks like it is included. Though I think the MAME core is currently out because they are having a compile issue with python in their build env. They may have fixed it. I have not looked in a while. That should be interesting as I do not see the KODI list system being very friendly to the style MAME has for games/systems. But I could be wrong.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3424