MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ?
#365655 - 05/03/17 11:49 PM


Hi,

I thought this could be the start of a fun and more lighthearted thread: What is the 'weirdest' (working) arcade game emulated in Mame that you've come across ?

I thought these should at least qualify as 'runner ups' :

Ninja Clowns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkGpmZ8OF0

Ninja BaseBall Bat Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbWyA3L-jE


But Im pretty sure you can do better than that.




PS: Perhaps this post should have gone into the 'The Loony Bin' instead of here in 'EmuChat', but the other threads in 'The Loony Bin' seemed too far out there.



gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Posts: 168
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365658 - 05/04/17 12:22 AM


I always found some of the strangest Arcade games were usually those Japan only titles like this take on
Space Invaders.......

Zunzunkyou No Yabou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CZZHCf_eVI




Arcade Addict



Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Posts: 4493
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365659 - 05/04/17 12:23 AM


> Hi,
>
> I thought this could be the start of a fun and more lighthearted thread: What is the
> 'weirdest' (working) arcade game emulated in Mame that you've come across ?
>
> I thought these should at least qualify as 'runner ups' :
>
> Ninja Clowns
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkGpmZ8OF0
>
> Ninja BaseBall Bat Man
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbWyA3L-jE
>
>
> But Im pretty sure you can do better than that.
>
>
> PS: Perhaps this post should have gone into the 'The Loony Bin' instead of here in
> 'EmuChat', but the other threads in 'The Loony Bin' seemed too far out there.

there are a lot of weird games, especially if you look to Japan, even more if you include strange novelty redemption games.

Trio the Punch comes up quite often
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/triothepunch/triothepunch.htm

As does Pu-Li-Ru-La
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pulirula/pulirula.htm

Minigame collections tend to be quirky anyway, but Tecmo's Ganbare Ginkun certainly is a bit odd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SgO8OeXmRg

Saru-Kani-Hamu-Zou is an odd breakout game with crazy intro tune and hamsters bouncing around everywhere...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13rsve...1997_videogames



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Haze]
#365660 - 05/04/17 01:03 AM


>
> there are a lot of weird games, especially if you look to Japan, even more if you
> include strange novelty redemption games.
>
> Trio the Punch comes up quite often
> http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/triothepunch/triothepunch.htm
>
> As does Pu-Li-Ru-La
> http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pulirula/pulirula.htm
>
> Minigame collections tend to be quirky anyway, but Tecmo's Ganbare Ginkun certainly
> is a bit odd
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SgO8OeXmRg
>
> Saru-Kani-Hamu-Zou is an odd breakout game with crazy intro tune and hamsters
> bouncing around everywhere...
> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13rsve...1997_videogames

Yes, these defintitely qualify.

But 'Ganbare Ginkun' takes the cake; I dont even understand whats going on there

I had almost forgotten how strange the japanese look to western people like me. (including but not limited to commercials and tv shows).



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: gamez fan]
#365661 - 05/04/17 01:07 AM


> I always found some of the strangest Arcade games were usually those Japan only
> titles like this take on
> Space Invaders.......
>
> Zunzunkyou No Yabou
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CZZHCf_eVI

Good find. But what makes me feel a little uncomfortable about this one is that despite it being strange is that it *still* manages to feel like 'space invaders' / 'galaxian'.



Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Posts: 56
Loc: Benidorm
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365662 - 05/04/17 01:13 AM


Considering now home systems are part of mame, the weirdest game for me is Capitan Sevilla, for the amstrad, msx and spectrum computers, and released by Dinamic.

An spanish superhero like superman, an ordinary man can transform into Capitan Sevilla by eating sausages and of course, he uses those sausages to attack enemies...

There is nothing so bizarre



RETRO DANUART YOUTUBE



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Sthiryu]
#365663 - 05/04/17 01:30 AM


> Considering now home systems are part of mame, the weirdest game for me is Capitan
> Sevilla, for the amstrad, msx and spectrum computers, and released by Dinamic.
>
> An spanish superhero like superman, an ordinary man can transform into Capitan
> Sevilla by eating sausages and of course, he uses those sausages to attack enemies...
>
> There is nothing so bizarre

Well I was trying to restrict the scope a bit, but of course home systems / consoles qualify.

And that one is actually pretty funny. And are those pink thingies flying pigs or even elephants in there ?


And yet, it still manages to feel like superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-muw6jhE2o

Edited by mhoes (05/04/17 01:32 AM)



Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Posts: 1151
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365664 - 05/04/17 02:02 AM


> Hi,
>
> I thought this could be the start of a fun and more lighthearted thread: What is the
> 'weirdest' (working) arcade game emulated in Mame that you've come across ?
>
> I thought these should at least qualify as 'runner ups' :
>
> Ninja Clowns
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkGpmZ8OF0
>
> Ninja BaseBall Bat Man
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbWyA3L-jE
>
>
> But Im pretty sure you can do better than that.
>
>
> PS: Perhaps this post should have gone into the 'The Loony Bin' instead of here in
> 'EmuChat', but the other threads in 'The Loony Bin' seemed too far out there.

Not a single mention of Konami's "Sexy Parodius" yet?



"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Master O]
#365665 - 05/04/17 02:08 AM


> > Hi,
> >
> > I thought this could be the start of a fun and more lighthearted thread: What is
> the
> > 'weirdest' (working) arcade game emulated in Mame that you've come across ?
> >
> > I thought these should at least qualify as 'runner ups' :
> >
> > Ninja Clowns
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkGpmZ8OF0
> >
> > Ninja BaseBall Bat Man
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbWyA3L-jE
> >
> >
> > But Im pretty sure you can do better than that.
> >
> >
> > PS: Perhaps this post should have gone into the 'The Loony Bin' instead of here in
> > 'EmuChat', but the other threads in 'The Loony Bin' seemed too far out there.
>
> Not a single mention of Konami's "Sexy Parodius" yet?

A horizontal scrolling shooter... shooting ... bunnies ? corn ? sheep ?

That's actually pretty funny. I'm going to add that to my favorite list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfu7p2cSISk



MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Posts: 1611
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365667 - 05/04/17 02:12 AM


> A horizontal scrolling shooter... shooting ... bunnies ? corn ? sheep ?
>
> That's actually pretty funny. I'm going to add that to my favorite list.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfu7p2cSISk

And bathing women in bathtubs.



Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Posts: 1151
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365669 - 05/04/17 02:14 AM


> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I thought this could be the start of a fun and more lighthearted thread: What is
> > the
> > > 'weirdest' (working) arcade game emulated in Mame that you've come across ?
> > >
> > > I thought these should at least qualify as 'runner ups' :
> > >
> > > Ninja Clowns
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkGpmZ8OF0
> > >
> > > Ninja BaseBall Bat Man
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbWyA3L-jE
> > >
> > >
> > > But Im pretty sure you can do better than that.
> > >
> > >
> > > PS: Perhaps this post should have gone into the 'The Loony Bin' instead of here
> in
> > > 'EmuChat', but the other threads in 'The Loony Bin' seemed too far out there.
> >
> > Not a single mention of Konami's "Sexy Parodius" yet?
>
> A horizontal scrolling shooter... shooting ... bunnies ? corn ? sheep ?
>
> That's actually pretty funny. I'm going to add that to my favorite list.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfu7p2cSISk

I also highly recommend that you play Gradius 1, 2, and 3 in Mame first BEFORE playing any of the Parodiuses.

The 3 parodius arcade games are parodies of Gradius officially made by Konami.

There is much Gradius humor in Parodius you won't understand otherwise.

I also forgot to mention that there also many jabs and pastiches of enemies and bosses from Irem's "R-Type" trilogy: R-type, R-type 2, and R-type Leo.



"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365670 - 05/04/17 02:22 AM


> > A horizontal scrolling shooter... shooting ... bunnies ? corn ? sheep ?
> >
> > That's actually pretty funny. I'm going to add that to my favorite list.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfu7p2cSISk
>
> And bathing women in bathtubs.

*please* tell me that's the end-level boss. err., I mean Ms Boss...



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Master O]
#365671 - 05/04/17 02:29 AM


> I also highly recommend that you play Gradius 1, 2, and 3 in Mame first BEFORE
> playing any of the Parodiuses.
>
> The 3 parodius arcade games are parodies of Gradius officially made by Konami.
>
> There is much Gradius humor in Parodius you won't understand otherwise.
>
> I also forgot to mention that there also many jabs and pastiches of enemies and
> bosses from Irem's "R-Type" trilogy: R-type, R-type 2, and R-type Leo.

I've played some Gradius, and even some more R-type games... but I wasn't really any good at any of them. As a kid ? Hah ! I completed all of them on a single quarter ! (well, not really). But now ? Now I'm 'old' ? ... I'm pretty much lousy at all of these games. I'm lucky if I can still do a few rounds of pacman. Ah, the joys of youth.



Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Posts: 3746
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365672 - 05/04/17 02:59 AM


PuliRuLa?
Captain Tomaday?
Touché Me?
Boon-ga boon-ga?



Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Posts: 3746
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365673 - 05/04/17 03:01 AM


> Well I was trying to restrict the scope a bit, but of course home systems / consoles
> qualify.

Well then you have to play through Yume Penguin Monogatari on Famicom.



Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Posts: 1151
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#365674 - 05/04/17 04:10 AM


> > Well I was trying to restrict the scope a bit, but of course home systems /
> consoles
> > qualify.
>
> Well then you have to play through Yume Penguin Monogatari on Famicom.

That Penguin is also in Parodius, since Yume Penguin Monogatari is also a Konami game.

If we're going to talk about console games, who could possibly forget the infamous Cho Aniki franchise?



"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"



TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Posts: 2927
Loc: USA
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365677 - 05/04/17 05:15 AM


> Hi,
>
> I thought this could be the start of a fun and more lighthearted thread: What is the
> 'weirdest' (working) arcade game emulated in Mame that you've come across ?
>
> I thought these should at least qualify as 'runner ups' :
>
> Ninja Clowns
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkGpmZ8OF0
>
> Ninja BaseBall Bat Man
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbWyA3L-jE
>
>
> But Im pretty sure you can do better than that.
>
>
> PS: Perhaps this post should have gone into the 'The Loony Bin' instead of here in
> 'EmuChat', but the other threads in 'The Loony Bin' seemed too far out there.

One that was never even conceived of until it was found called "Uncle Poo". Might be a bootleg hack of another obscure game - but it holds its own.



Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Posts: 3746
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Tafoid]
#365678 - 05/04/17 06:33 AM


> One that was never even conceived of until it was found called "Uncle Poo". Might be
> a bootleg hack of another obscure game - but it holds its own.

If you're not afraid of totally inappropriate/offensive content, Lover Boy is weird in a, "How did they ever think this was a good idea?" kind of way. I'm Sorry is a whole game of weird political humour.

The System 18 version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker is pretty weird. Touch a chimp and turn into a robot! Enemy robots that attack with rather phallic rams! When you die you fall over holding your crotch! And just what does Mr Big plan to do with all the kids he's kidnapping?



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#365682 - 05/04/17 01:30 PM


>
> If you're not afraid of totally inappropriate/offensive content, Lover Boy is weird
> in a, "How did they ever think this was a good idea?" kind of way.

Yeah, that's definitely not a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Fk6Ym7Ros

>
> I'm Sorry is a whole game of weird political humour.
>

I must admit I had to look up the Wikipedia article to get the political reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRnd0HsPf0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Sorry_(video_game)

> The System 18 version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker is pretty weird. Touch a chimp
> and turn into a robot! Enemy robots that attack with rather phallic rams! When you
> die you fall over holding your crotch! And just what does Mr Big plan to do with all
> the kids he's kidnapping?

That's about the only one mentioned so far that I knew of already. I think it's actually pretty funny. And to me so typical of who Micheal Jackson was, it almost seems like he designed the entire game himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKOi8jJQiEA



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#365684 - 05/04/17 01:34 PM


> PuliRuLa?
> Captain Tomaday?
> Touché Me?
> Boon-ga boon-ga?

Of those four in particular, 'Boon-ga boon-ga' must be the weirdest. (Although I must admit I couldn't play or find video of 'Touché Me?' which *sounds* like the weirdest one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZVgu3QuHY



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#365685 - 05/04/17 01:36 PM


> > Well I was trying to restrict the scope a bit, but of course home systems /
> consoles
> > qualify.
>
> Well then you have to play through Yume Penguin Monogatari on Famicom.

Hrm. Not sure. Seems like a fairly 'normal' platform game ? The weirdest seems to be that they have combined platform and shooter in a single game ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krQJTwES6k



Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Posts: 4493
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365686 - 05/04/17 01:42 PM


> >
> > there are a lot of weird games, especially if you look to Japan, even more if you
> > include strange novelty redemption games.
> >
> > Trio the Punch comes up quite often
> > http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/triothepunch/triothepunch.htm
> >
> > As does Pu-Li-Ru-La
> > http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/pulirula/pulirula.htm
> >
> > Minigame collections tend to be quirky anyway, but Tecmo's Ganbare Ginkun certainly
> > is a bit odd
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SgO8OeXmRg
> >
> > Saru-Kani-Hamu-Zou is an odd breakout game with crazy intro tune and hamsters
> > bouncing around everywhere...
> >
> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13rsve...1997_videogames
>
> Yes, these defintitely qualify.
>
> But 'Ganbare Ginkun' takes the cake; I dont even understand whats going on there
>
> I had almost forgotten how strange the japanese look to western people like me.
> (including but not limited to commercials and tv shows).

Yeah, Ganbare Ginkun stands out for the art style alone if nothing else, but minigames where you piss on electric rail lines do push it over the edge..

Hacha Mecha Fighter is another very colourful shooter 'em up, moreso with the dipswitch set to Japanese as in this video. Maybe quite ordinary in terms of gameplay, but visually it's quirky at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5vJjPo7084

I'd throw Boogie Wings into the mix too, it seems quite ordinary until you realise you can pick up almost anything on your hook, including elephants etc. and that when you lose your plane you start running along the ground and can leap into all sorts of other things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpCEqNjbvmY

Space Bomber is another shooter with some odd cutscenes, more galxian style in that it's fixed screen. It's pre 9/11 but you end up fighting with a pair of smoking twin towers in the background too giving it a little extra 'wtf' factor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3bQWFnj5VQ&t=127s

Snacks'n Jaxson is very trippy for an older game, you play a clown head bouncing clown noses while trying to eat food.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pFc_23Ddk



Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Posts: 3746
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365687 - 05/04/17 01:47 PM


> Hrm. Not sure. Seems like a fairly 'normal' platform game ? The weirdest seems to be
> that they have combined platform and shooter in a single game ?

You're not paying attention to the story. You're were Pentarou, fastest penguin in the world, but you've really let yourself slip. In fact, you're so out of shape that your girlfriend Penko is threatening to dump you for some pimpin' penguin, who's right there with her while she makes the call. So you set out to get back into shape, but that pimpin' penguin is going to make sure it's as hard as possible. If you get too fat, or finish a level without being slim enough, you'll get a breakup call from Penko. Also, as you get fatter, it's harder to fight. Anyway, you manage to get through all the levels and defeat the pimpin' penguin himself in the final shooting sequence, and you and Penko take off to a tropical paradise. Everything's peachy, until Penko starts binge-eating and gets fat. I think one of the game designers may have based this on the experience of a friend of a friend, if you know what I mean.



MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Posts: 1611
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365700 - 05/04/17 10:16 PM


> > > A horizontal scrolling shooter... shooting ... bunnies ? corn ? sheep ?
> > >
> > > That's actually pretty funny. I'm going to add that to my favorite list.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfu7p2cSISk
> >
> > And bathing women in bathtubs.
>
> *please* tell me that's the end-level boss. err., I mean Ms Boss...

No, you literally just go blazing by women in bathtubs. While collecting coins.



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#365701 - 05/04/17 10:40 PM


> > Hrm. Not sure. Seems like a fairly 'normal' platform game ? The weirdest seems to
> be
> > that they have combined platform and shooter in a single game ?
>
> You're not paying attention to the story. You're were Pentarou, fastest penguin in
> the world, but you've really let yourself slip. In fact, you're so out of shape that
> your girlfriend Penko is threatening to dump you for some pimpin' penguin, who's
> right there with her while she makes the call. So you set out to get back into shape,
> but that pimpin' penguin is going to make sure it's as hard as possible. If you get
> too fat, or finish a level without being slim enough, you'll get a breakup call from
> Penko. Also, as you get fatter, it's harder to fight. Anyway, you manage to get
> through all the levels and defeat the pimpin' penguin himself in the final shooting
> sequence, and you and Penko take off to a tropical paradise. Everything's peachy,
> until Penko starts binge-eating and gets fat. I think one of the game designers may
> have based this on the experience of a friend of a friend, if you know what I mean.

You're absolutely right, I totally missed that, thanks for pointing it out. Actually, that makes it all pretty funny to me. Which, for me personally, puts it in the 'pretty funny' category, instead of the 'weird' one. Also: Perhaps the person that dreamed that story up should have used the real names instead of the imaginary penguin pentarou/penko names, for added bonus points.



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Haze]
#365702 - 05/04/17 10:43 PM


> Snacks'n Jaxson is very trippy for an older game, you play a clown head bouncing
> clown noses while trying to eat food.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pFc_23Ddk
Hahahaha! That's *insane*, man !



Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Posts: 56
Loc: Benidorm
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365703 - 05/04/17 10:45 PM


What about this? Ronald Reagan, Tatcher and Gorbachov in s a street fighter theme game --> Spitting Image for the Commodore Amiga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjcY6C2Hyg



RETRO DANUART YOUTUBE



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Sthiryu]
#365705 - 05/04/17 11:00 PM


> What about this? Ronald Reagan, Tatcher and Gorbachov in s a street fighter theme
> game --> Spitting Image for the Commodore Amiga
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjcY6C2Hyg

Ah yes, Spitting Image. That sure brings back memories. I never heard of this game before, but that show was amazing. They should *totally* do something like that again in the current (political) landscape.



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365707 - 05/04/17 11:14 PM


> > > > A horizontal scrolling shooter... shooting ... bunnies ? corn ? sheep ?
> > > >
> > > > That's actually pretty funny. I'm going to add that to my favorite list.
> > > >
> > > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfu7p2cSISk
> > >
> > > And bathing women in bathtubs.
> >
> > *please* tell me that's the end-level boss. err., I mean Ms Boss...
>
> No, you literally just go blazing by women in bathtubs.
> While collecting coins.

Collecting women bathtub coins. Works for me.



Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Posts: 118
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365727 - 05/05/17 05:56 AM


Weirdest game? Not sure, but the title screen in this one is totally bizarre and hilarious at the same time (Minisan No Okagesamadesu)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtF2dzh2qPA



"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd



Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Posts: 56
Loc: Benidorm
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365735 - 05/05/17 02:40 PM


What about this? Monty python flying circus for the Amiga, just play or watch the first level. Nothing more to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eq_8TK-sY



RETRO DANUART YOUTUBE



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Sthiryu]
#365827 - 05/07/17 01:16 PM


> What about this? Monty python flying circus for the Amiga, just play or watch the
> first level. Nothing more to say:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eq_8TK-sY

Wow, that one is amazing. I especially love those end-of-level scenes: Spam, spam, spam, eggs, sausage and spam !



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365833 - 05/07/17 05:41 PM


Well, I think I found another candidate. It may not even be in the top ten, but I think it still qualifies.

'Critter Crusher' (Sega, 1995)

I couldn't find a good video of it on YouTube, but the gameplay is basically this :

You get an overview/on top view of the game. You get cross-hairs. You get food/fruit, and the 'baddies' are a choice of cockroaches/moles/flies. The aim of the game is to crush/shoot the cockroaches/moles/flies before they can get at your food.



Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Posts: 3746
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365839 - 05/08/17 01:16 AM


> You get an overview/on top view of the game. You get cross-hairs. You get food/fruit,
> and the 'baddies' are a choice of cockroaches/moles/flies. The aim of the game is to
> crush/shoot the cockroaches/moles/flies before they can get at your food.

Real arcade cabinet doesn't have crosshairs - you hit the screen with a plastic mallet. I assume it's a kind of resistive touchscreen.



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#365840 - 05/08/17 02:32 AM


> > You get an overview/on top view of the game. You get cross-hairs. You get
> food/fruit,
> > and the 'baddies' are a choice of cockroaches/moles/flies. The aim of the game is
> to
> > crush/shoot the cockroaches/moles/flies before they can get at your food.
>
> Real arcade cabinet doesn't have crosshairs - you hit the screen with a plastic
> mallet. I assume it's a kind of resistive touchscreen.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had assumed the real thing had some sort of a 'gun' ('Operation Wolf' style). Knowing that you have to physically hit the screen to get rid of the cockroaches/moles/flies makes it even weirder.



MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Posts: 1611
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: mhoes]
#365844 - 05/08/17 09:53 AM


> > > You get an overview/on top view of the game. You get cross-hairs. You get
> > food/fruit,
> > > and the 'baddies' are a choice of cockroaches/moles/flies. The aim of the game is
> > to
> > > crush/shoot the cockroaches/moles/flies before they can get at your food.
> >
> > Real arcade cabinet doesn't have crosshairs - you hit the screen with a plastic
> > mallet. I assume it's a kind of resistive touchscreen.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. I had assumed the real thing had some sort of a 'gun'
> ('Operation Wolf' style). Knowing that you have to physically hit the screen to get
> rid of the cockroaches/moles/flies makes it even weirder.

How about Stompin', by Bally/Sente? Same general principle: There's food in the center of the screen, and you have to protect it from errant ants, cockroaches, birds, mice, gophers, and so on, depending on the level.

The trick? In this one you weren't hitting the screen, there was actually a 3x3 grid of panels that you had to physically stomp on in order to defeat the enemies. Kind of like a 15-years-early version of Dance Dance Revolution.



mhoes
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/15
Posts: 44
Send PM


Re: 'Weirdest' Mame Emulated Arcade Game ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#365861 - 05/09/17 11:24 AM


> > > > You get an overview/on top view of the game. You get cross-hairs. You get
> > > food/fruit,
> > > > and the 'baddies' are a choice of cockroaches/moles/flies. The aim of the game
> is
> > > to
> > > > crush/shoot the cockroaches/moles/flies before they can get at your food.
> > >
> > > Real arcade cabinet doesn't have crosshairs - you hit the screen with a plastic
> > > mallet. I assume it's a kind of resistive touchscreen.
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that out. I had assumed the real thing had some sort of a 'gun'
> > ('Operation Wolf' style). Knowing that you have to physically hit the screen to get
> > rid of the cockroaches/moles/flies makes it even weirder.
>
> How about Stompin', by Bally/Sente? Same general principle: There's food in the
> center of the screen, and you have to protect it from errant ants, cockroaches,
> birds, mice, gophers, and so on, depending on the level.
>
> The trick? In this one you weren't hitting the screen, there was actually a 3x3 grid
> of panels that you had to physically stomp on in order to defeat the enemies. Kind of
> like a 15-years-early version of Dance Dance Revolution.

That makes it even weirder. Although I did have to look up a picture of the cabinet (well the flyer, actually) before I fully realized you have to step (stomp) on the grid with your feet in order to crush the ants/cockroaches/etc.. even though you referenced Dance Dance Revolution.


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  redk9258, URherenow, Tafoid 
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2318