MAMEWorld Central >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Posts: 1001
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM


Acer 27 inch LED monitor power light blinking blue
#365904 - 05/10/17 07:05 PM


My 4-year-old Acer 27 inch LED monitor's power light was dimly blinking blue and the monitor wouldn't turn on when I pressed the power button.

I turned off the computer along with the surge protector. Turned them back on and tried again. Still no luck. A couple hours later, I tried again and the monitor started working again.

What does that mean? Does it mean my monitor is dying?



Robbbert
Reged: 08/21/04
Posts: 2453
Loc: Land of Oz
Send PM


Re: Acer 27 inch LED monitor power light blinking blue new [Re: Big Karnak]
#365929 - 05/11/17 02:54 PM


-



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: Acer 27 inch LED monitor power light blinking blue new [Re: Robbbert]
#366009 - 05/13/17 05:14 AM


> > What does that mean? Does it mean my monitor is dying?
>
> Probably.
>
> When my Samsung started flashing the screen on and off, I googled it and found it was
> a very common problem. A Youtube video showed how to open it, and replace the 3
> faulty capacitors. I did that, at a cost of $2.80, and the monitor is working just
> like new.
>
> You could try googling it too.


These tend to fall in 2 categories. Faulty caps as mentioned above...and bad inverter coils. Both are easy solders, but the coils are a little more challenging of a diagnosis/identification.

Replace the caps. If it doesn't fix it, go buy a monitor.



Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Posts: 1001
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM


Re: Acer 27 inch LED monitor power light blinking blue new [Re: italie]
#366012 - 05/13/17 06:22 PM


Well, my monitor stopped working again the next day and I couldn't get it to turn back on. So I went to Best Buy and bought a new 27 inch monitor. I bought the AOC - i2779vh 27" IPS LED FHD Monitor for $150 and I got a 4 year contract for it for free. I know the brand AOC is probably one of the crappier brands, but the deal I got on it seemed to be worth it. Every other 27 inch monitor they had was at least double the price.


Quote:


These tend to fall in 2 categories. Faulty caps as mentioned above...and bad inverter coils. Both are easy solders, but the coils are a little more challenging of a diagnosis/identification.



Unfortunately, I don't know how to do any of that stuff.



italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Posts: 15226
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM


Re: Acer 27 inch LED monitor power light blinking blue new [Re: Big Karnak]
#366068 - 05/16/17 03:38 AM


> Well, my monitor stopped working again the next day and I couldn't get it to turn
> back on. So I went to Best Buy and bought a new 27 inch monitor. I bought the AOC -
> i2779vh 27" IPS LED FHD Monitor for $150 and I got a 4 year contract for it for free.
> I know the brand AOC is probably one of the crappier brands, but the deal I got on it
> seemed to be worth it. Every other 27 inch monitor they had was at least double the
> price.
>
> These tend to fall in 2 categories. Faulty caps as mentioned above...and bad inverter
> coils. Both are easy solders, but the coils are a little more challenging of a
> diagnosis/identification.
> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do any of that stuff.

Nothing wrong with AOC. Decent workhorse for the price.



Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Posts: 933
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: Acer 27 inch LED monitor power light blinking blue new [Re: Robbbert]
#366326 - 05/25/17 07:29 PM


> > What does that mean? Does it mean my monitor is dying?
>
> Probably.
>
> When my Samsung started flashing the screen on and off, I googled it and found it was
> a very common problem. A Youtube video showed how to open it, and replace the 3
> faulty capacitors. I did that, at a cost of $2.80, and the monitor is working just
> like new.
>
> You could try googling it too.

And as a general rule, if one or more caps are bulging or otherwise test bad (not all vent-type caps actually bulge, some leak all of the board which is probably even worse; others just dry out) replace every single one and the others probably won't last much longer, especially if they are the exact same types as the ones which did go bad. I paid the price with my Hisense TV, when it failed the first time I replaced a couple of bulging Samxon caps in the power supply and the TV lasted for a few more years, and the remaining Samxon caps of the same type eventually bulged and this time took out some mosfets with them. The caps I swapped over still test perfectly fine in the ESR meter.


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld Central >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Gatinho 
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 585