MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips
#368427 - 07/31/17 02:40 PM Attachment: 60001201.jpg 364 KB (1 downloads)

I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips have been read out and submitted

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Smitdogg]
#368432 - 07/31/17 03:22 PM

> I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips have
> been read out and submitted

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Haze]
#368434 - 07/31/17 04:49 PM

> > I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips have
> > been read out and submitted
>
> https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/

Nice job you guys.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#368444 - 07/31/17 06:24 PM

>> I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips have
>> been read out and submitted

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/

This following what was done earlier successfully wraps up the Toaplan games missing audio chapter. Good to see this working out.

-
https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2016/12/22/your-shark-is-on-fire/
-

With the Toaplan audio, preliminary Votrax speech audio emulation, some of the 1990s era Atari games now running, Laser Base, and Gaelco games with hardcore MCU in preliminary stage being emulated, a darn good (2016 through 2017) couple years with notable progress being accomplished of items that were on the list of not being possible just a few years earlier.

F1ReB4LL
Reged: 03/09/05
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: gregf]
#368447 - 07/31/17 10:29 PM

> With the Toaplan audio, preliminary Votrax speech audio emulation, some of the 1990s
> era Atari games now running, Laser Base, and Gaelco games with hardcore MCU in
> preliminary stage being emulated, a darn good (2016 through 2017) couple years with
> notable progress being accomplished of items that were on the list of not being
> possible just a few years earlier.

Also Legionnaire and Heated Barrel.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Smitdogg]
#368449 - 07/31/17 10:54 PM

Nice to finally have a proper dump of the HD647180 for Ghox, big thanks to everyone involved from the people who donated all the boards for this purpose, caps0ff team who dumped the MCU's and finally MAME Dev for adding support for them to the Toaplan drivers.

Arcade Addict

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#368452 - 07/31/17 11:10 PM

> > I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips have
> > been read out and submitted
>
> https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/

And now you can finally close the book on Toaplan.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Master O]
#368456 - 07/31/17 11:23 PM

> > > I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips
> have
> > > been read out and submitted
> >
> > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/
>
> And now you can finally close the book on Toaplan.

I just love a good story with a happy ending

Arcade Addict

Haze
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Master O]
#368457 - 07/31/17 11:46 PM

> > > I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips
> have
> > > been read out and submitted
> >
> > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/
>
> And now you can finally close the book on Toaplan.

Well on dumping those MCUs, yes.

Their very earliest games (both Mahjong) aren't properly emulated tho, and there's a version of Slap Fight without a 68705 dump still too.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#368459 - 08/01/17 12:21 AM

It's got me with Slap Fight why is it listed as a clone of Alcon when the source file is Slapfght ? Plus which is the newer Japan set 1 or 2 ?

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#368460 - 08/01/17 12:40 AM

> > > > I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips
> > have
> > > > been read out and submitted
> > >
> > > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/
> >
> > And now you can finally close the book on Toaplan.
>
> Well on dumping those MCUs, yes.
>
> Their very earliest games (both Mahjong) aren't properly emulated tho, and there's a
> version of Slap Fight without a 68705 dump still too.

So how many Toaplan games are left then? Three?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Speakeasy
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/27/17
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: agard]
#368466 - 08/01/17 09:59 AM

Slapfight A76 rom labels was released first (as a prototype or very limited release) on a green PCB (Toaplan) for the Japanese domestic market and should be the parent set in MAME.
Slapfight A77 on blue Taito PCB was released afterwards in Japan for the domestic market and also in the USA as Alcon on the blue Taito A77 PCB.

Speakeasy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#368467 - 08/01/17 10:03 AM

Hi Haze,
Taito Slapfight A76 is in MAME friendly hands and is there for decapping when required by CAPSoff (with other Taito boards including Return of the Invaders, Rainbow Islands, Rainbow Islands Extra, and other rare chips).

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Speakeasy]
#368470 - 08/01/17 11:34 AM

> Slapfight A76 rom labels was released first (as a prototype or very limited release)
> on a green PCB (Toaplan) for the Japanese domestic market and should be the parent
> set in MAME.
> Slapfight A77 on blue Taito PCB was released afterwards in Japan for the domestic
> market and also in the USA as Alcon on the blue Taito A77 PCB.

By MAME rules A77 should be the parent. MAME marks latest/most widespread release as the parent.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: DU & Caps0ff - The other Toaplan chips new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#368477 - 08/01/17 11:23 PM

I agree Slap Fight should be the parent rom.
But there's always 1 parent that doesn't get custody

Haze
Send PM

#368478 - 08/01/17 11:30 PM

> I agree Slap Fight should be the parent rom.
> But there's always 1 parent that doesn't get custody

the newer Slap Fight set (the working one) has a 'For Use in Japan' warning.

Alcon, which is also based on the newer PCB type, does not have a regional warning (although is assumed to be for the US based on the Taito America display)

both show Taito copyrights, neither show Toaplan which would give a set parentage as the original manufacturer.

Therefore by standard MAME ordering Alcon is the 'newest English release' and is correctly set as the parent.

I'm curious to see if the other Slap Fight (older hardware) is another Japan set or the 'World' release, as strangely there doesn't seem to be an official non-Japan version with the Slap Fight in MAME despite it being a hugely popular game over here in the UK (Maybe they were all bootlegs) If it is a 'world' set, it would take priority over the US release, even if it's older. MAME claims it's another Japan set tho, so it probably is just an older Japan set.

I do find it funny how people go crazy because Puckman is the parent in MAME despite being a Japan release (it's the parent because it's the only official version with the proper Namco copyright) yet here we are with people wanting a Japan release as the parent for a different game.

I also wonder why we're running everything in that driver at 60hz when it appears for every single PCB in there it's been measured at 57, has nobody noticed Slap Fight etc. are running too fast?

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Reged: 11/25/11
Loc: Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Send PM

#368491 - 08/02/17 01:04 PM

I have both A76 and A77 MCUs ready for when we resolve the outstanding issues.

> > > > I just got an email saying the Dumping Union's Ghox and Whoopee HD647180 chips
> > have
> > > > been read out and submitted
> > >
> > > https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/07/31/deghoxing/
> >
> > And now you can finally close the book on Toaplan.
>
> Well on dumping those MCUs, yes.
>
> Their very earliest games (both Mahjong) aren't properly emulated tho, and there's a
> version of Slap Fight without a 68705 dump still too.

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

Speakeasy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#368557 - 08/04/17 09:24 AM

MAME and MESS merged a few years ago so perhaps the definitions of what a parent rom is should be changed.
Slapfight was distributed on various populular gaming platforms, not just in the arcades, and Slapfight was not marketed as Alcon anywhere except in the USA, and then only on the blue Taito USA licensed A77 boardsets which are uncommon to say the least.
Alcon was a US variant distributed by Taito USA but it wasn't a really world release.
All the Slapfight variants are in English language, even if they say for Japanese domestic use only.
I never saw an Alcon in the arcades in Australia either but I saw quite a few Slapfights, and then there was that Slapfight marquee produced in the UK for upright machines in the UK domestic market...

Edited by Speakeasy (08/04/17 09:25 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#368561 - 08/04/17 02:22 PM

> perhaps the definitions of what a parent rom
> is should be changed.

Even if there's a compelling argument, that will never happen. It would be too much mundane work now because of the size of mame. Nobody will ever do it.

Haze
Send PM

#368562 - 08/04/17 03:07 PM

> MAME and MESS merged a few years ago so perhaps the definitions of what a parent rom
> is should be changed.
> Slapfight was distributed on various populular gaming platforms, not just in the
> arcades, and Slapfight was not marketed as Alcon anywhere except in the USA, and then
> only on the blue Taito USA licensed A77 boardsets which are uncommon to say the
> least.
> Alcon was a US variant distributed by Taito USA but it wasn't a really world release.
> All the Slapfight variants are in English language, even if they say for Japanese
> domestic use only.
> I never saw an Alcon in the arcades in Australia either but I saw quite a few
> Slapfights, and then there was that Slapfight marquee produced in the UK for upright
> machines in the UK domestic market...

it might just be a case of there is a World set but it hasn't turned up yet.

It does seem strange that it was known as Slap Fight over here, and all the home ports were known as Slap Fight when there isn't a Taito original for outside of Japan with that title. It also seems odd that we're missing a set that could be a 'World' version.

Unless Toaplan / Taito saw the sheer number of bootlegs and just didn't bother with the European market?

OTOH it might just be a very rare set, things like Wyvern F-0 which are stupidly rare now were apparently actually seen in quite a few UK and European locations back in the day.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3206