MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: Slap Fight
#369584 - 09/10/17 07:08 PM Attachment: slapf.jpg 374 KB (1 downloads)

Corrado Tomaselli dumped the MCU from a Slap Fight Japan GX-006 pcb version. caius got a Kick Off bootleg by Comodo. Hammy dumped a bootleg of Knights of the Round. He also dumped Cabal (Electrocoin joystick set) but I think all the roms match other dumped sets.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

RjamesC
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/11/17
Send PM

Re: DU: Slap Fight new [Re: Smitdogg]
#369611 - 09/11/17 11:16 PM

always enjoyed slap fight, great conversion for the c64 back in the day

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#369646 - 09/12/17 09:00 PM

Why is Alcon the parent rom ? When Slap Fight was released in july '86 & Alcon later december '86. I thought the parent roms were the 1s released first?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Slap Fight new [Re: agard]
#369647 - 09/12/17 09:09 PM

> Why is Alcon the parent rom ? When Slap Fight was released in july '86 & Alcon later
> december '86. I thought the parent roms were the 1s released first?

because Slap Fight has a 'for use in Japan Only' message, while Alcon does not. The home ports might have been called Slap Fight, and many of the bootlegs / unlicensed cabs might have also carried that name but there's no real evidence that Taito officially used that name outside of Japan. (I suspect the home ports ended up being Slap Fight either because they were based on the bootleg, or proto/location tests before the game had been localized, much like how LED Storm is based on the early / 'proto' version of that game)

Latest World / Asia / Us release takes priority over a Japan release as long as the original copyright holder is still displayed (in this case Taito, even if it was developed by Toaplan, their name isn't display on any set)

It is rare for a Japan version to be a parent and no reason to make an exception here. One of the cases where that has been done is Puckman, because Pacman wasn't a name used by Namco, only by Midway at the time.

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

Re: DU: Slap Fight new [Re: Haze]
#369648 - 09/12/17 10:12 PM

Thanks for that info Haze at least you cleared it up for me as like you said all the ports were called slap fight & i've always known it as slap fight even in the uk arcades i always played on slap fight not alcon i have never seen an alcon yet in any arcades thats still about but saying that only being 11 at the time i probably didnt take any real notice on the name until these last few years.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: DU: Slap Fight new [Re: agard]
#369649 - 09/12/17 10:31 PM

> Thanks for that info Haze at least you cleared it up for me as like you said all the
> ports were called slap fight & i've always known it as slap fight even in the uk
> arcades i always played on slap fight not alcon i have never seen an alcon yet in any
> arcades thats still about but saying that only being 11 at the time i probably didnt
> take any real notice on the name until these last few years.

Yeah, it's not even clear the game had an official UK / Europe release, maybe some were imported and shoved in cabs by the usual suspects, and there is the bootleg that replaces the JAPAN string with ENGLAND but it's one of the few Taito games where there doesn't actually seem to be an official UK / Europe / Rest of World set.

The only English flyers are for Alcon too, but again, those seem to be US.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#369652 - 09/13/17 12:26 AM

>Corrado Tomaselli dumped the MCU from a Slap Fight Japan GX-006 (Tiger Heli) pcb version.

--
src/mame/drivers/slapfght.cpp

GAME( 1986, slapfigha, alcon, slapfigh, slapfigh, slapfght_state, slapfigh, ROT270, "Toaplan / Taito", "Slap Fight (A76 set, GX-006-A PCB)", MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE | MACHINE_NO_COCKTAIL )
-

Good to see another Taito original up and running....if only something can be done for actual Taito Cycle Shooting sometime later.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1601