View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Danfun64
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/03/17
Send PM

Apple Macintosh and Analog joysticks
#370751 - 11/03/17 08:57 AM

I have a few questions for you guys. From what I gathered, neither Basilisk II nor SheepShaver support USB Joysticks of any kind. Next thing that came to my mind was FS UAE and ShapeShifter... but it turns out that the program used for joystick support, MacJoy, seems to only support digital buttons. Then I remembered MAME.

Question 1: When it comes to System 7.x or 8.x, can I choose anything more powerful than maciicx or is that still the only mame core that supports one of those (apparently maciicx can only go up to 7.5.5)?

Question 2, and this is a deal breaker for me, can I use an analog USB joystick/flightstick on any of the System 7.x/8.x compatible MAME cores? I really want to try out the Mac port of a flight sim game, but if I can't use an analog joystick, there's no point in me not using a different version of said game.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Apple Macintosh and Analog joysticks new [Re: Danfun64]
#370755 - 11/03/17 09:02 PM

> Question 1: When it comes to System 7.x or 8.x, can I choose anything more powerful
> than maciicx or is that still the only mame core that supports one of those
> (apparently maciicx can only go up to 7.5.5)?

IIci is supported (including sound) and will run 7.6.1 fine, plus you can install 8.0 and 8.1 using the standard ResEdit tricks. 8.x on an '030 is quite sluggish though.

> Question 2, and this is a deal breaker for me, can I use an analog USB
> joystick/flightstick on any of the System 7.x/8.x compatible MAME cores? I really

USB joysticks are not currently supported, but I'll add them to the backlog.

Danfun64
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Apple Macintosh and Analog joysticks new [Re: R. Belmont]
#370756 - 11/03/17 10:04 PM

TY for planning on supporting USB Joysticks in Mame using a Mac core... however, I can't even get to the point where I could do anything.

Basilisk ii uses .dsk files. However, the guide here suggests the use of .dmg files (after being converter to/from .chd of course). I have no idea how to convert .chd to .dsk, or .dmg to .dsk, or .dsk to .dmg etc on windows and without paying anything. How do I get things working properly?

Lastly, what's the difference between mameworld.info forums and the mamedev.org forums? Do devs appear in both forums?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#370771 - 11/04/17 11:58 AM

> Lastly, what's the difference between mameworld.info forums and the mamedev.org
> forums? Do devs appear in both forums?

The mameworld.info forums are completely unofficial and are largely a free-for-all where common sense reigns (don't be a racist/whatever douche) but you can swear and such. They've been around far longer than MAME's current presence on mamedev.org, so it has far more active users, though a lot of us are oldbie retro gaming fans. It's frequented by a number of MAME devs out of habit as there was nowhere else to go when the original forums on mame.net closed down.

The mamedev.org forums are the only truly official forums. However, I have to admit that I don't visit them with anywhere near the regularity that I visit MAMEworld, and I'm a dev. I'm pretty sure that's the case for a number of other devs. But I'm trying to get better at that.

Danfun64
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Apple Macintosh and Analog joysticks new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#370779 - 11/04/17 05:17 PM

Thanks for the explanation, but you didn't answer my other questions. I'm quoting them because for some reason the default for these forums is to only show one post at a time. Also I apparently can't quote a post before the most recent and have it placed after said most recent without copy/paste.

> Basilisk ii uses .dsk files. However, the guide here suggests the use of .dmg files
> (after being converter to/from .chd of course). I have no idea how to convert .chd to
> .dsk, or .dmg to .dsk, or .dsk to .dmg etc on windows and without paying anything.
> How do I get things working properly?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#370781 - 11/04/17 05:18 PM

> Thanks for the explanation, but you didn't answer my other questions.

I know I didn't. I specifically edited them out because I didn't know the answer, and chose to speak only on the things about which I felt authoritative. Also, I use threaded view on these forums, not flat view. In either case, it should be clear from the flow of the thread to what I was responding, and that I wasn't trying to narrow the discussion.

> I'm quoting
> them because for some reason the default for these forums is to only show one post at
> a time.

You can switch between threaded and flat view somehow. I don't actually know, I'm just going with the default. You can see the flow of who's replying to whom by the comment tree at the bottom of the reply.

Also, please chill, nobody's here to give you a hard time. The simple fact is that MAME has a huge number of drivers and the number of people familiar with a particular one might be pretty minimal.

Since you're clearly more inclined towards non-arcade usage of MAME, I would encourage you to register on the bannister.org forums, as there's a subforum that for years was dedicated towards the MESS project, which concentrated on non-coin-op systems prior to being Borg'd into MAME itself, so you'll likely find people more experienced in dealing with floppy image conversion for use in MAME.

Danfun64
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Apple Macintosh and Analog joysticks new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#370782 - 11/04/17 05:25 PM

Sorry for any aggression I showed or appear to have showed. It's rare to have forums not default to a flat view.

Thanks for the link to the MESS oriented site. That said, if I have any questions concerning the arcade half, I'll of course post them either here or on mamedev.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#370795 - 11/05/17 05:18 AM

> It's rare to have forums not default to a flat view.

the old mame.net forums were based on an old install of WWWThreads/UBB.threads and had some particular quirks that the veterans got used to, so as many features as possible crept into this installation from the old install both during setup and in the 14 years or so since. Many remain configurable to this day. I typically run in flat mode and set the color scheme to "New Sk00l" to retain the color scheme with which I am most familiar, for instance.

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#370821 - 11/06/17 04:49 AM

> TY for planning on supporting USB Joysticks in Mame using a Mac core... however, I
> can't even get to the point where I could do anything.

Your best bet is to find a full-service MAME ROMs download site (we like Pleasuredome) and grab the Software Lists torrent, or at least the Mac part. That will give you HDD images with clean installs of each of the major System versions from 6.0 to 7.6.1 and plenty of room left.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1228