Pages: 1

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Reged: 11/25/11
Loc: Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Send PM

USPS lost a ton of undumped games new
#372565 - 12/31/17 04:18 AM

Shipped 2 large boxes with over undumped 30 PCBs from the US back in November which USPS has lost.

If anyone can get the word out to the USPS that they fucked up yet another preservation effort and can get a contact person, please let me know via DM or social media.

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: ShouTime]
#372566 - 12/31/17 04:41 AM

> Shipped 2 large boxes with over undumped 30 PCBs from the US back in November which
> USPS has lost.
>
> If anyone can get the word out to the USPS that they fucked up yet another
> preservation effort and can get a contact person, please let me know via DM or social
> media.

This is a tragedy!

byuu has experience with an issue like this and can maybe give you some pointers.

- Stiletto

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Stiletto]
#372567 - 12/31/17 06:17 AM

Quote:

This is a tragedy!

byuu has experience with an issue like this and can maybe give you some pointers.

- Stiletto

Submitted to emulation subreddit where byuu may be more likely to see it.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#372571 - 12/31/17 09:29 AM

That fucking sucks.

I pray the packages can all be recovered and there's no damage or missing PCBs

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#372572 - 12/31/17 09:51 AM

Find any photos you can of either the contents of the boxes, or the boxes themselves, and contact the USPS postmaster general.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#372573 - 12/31/17 09:59 AM

Was this package shipped with tracking?

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#372575 - 12/31/17 01:01 PM

> Find any photos you can of either the contents of the boxes, or the boxes themselves,
> and contact the USPS postmaster general.

How to contact them? There is no line to actually talk to a human being.

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#372576 - 12/31/17 01:02 PM

> byuu has experience with an issue like this and can maybe give you some pointers.
>
> - Stiletto

I think byuu was missing the snes carts. That was many years ago.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: jonwil]
#372577 - 12/31/17 01:02 PM

> Was this package shipped with tracking?

Yes, one box had the label switched to someone else’s box which was delivered to me...it wasn’t even the same size or weight

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Qun Mang]
#372579 - 12/31/17 01:50 PM

> This is a tragedy!
>
> byuu has experience with an issue like this and can maybe give you some pointers.
>
> - Stiletto
>
> Submitted to emulation subreddit where byuu may be more likely to see it.

I think Byuu got lucky, and SNES cartridges are generally easier to identify for the general public than random arcade PCBs.

The fact Shou says he ended up with somebody else's package in this instance also indicates the situation is a bit different, probably labels came off and got swapped? meaning his package likely was delivered, to somebody else. Unless they're honest about it the PCBs will probably just end up being split up and sold if that's the case.

Probably also a problem if ShouTime wants to stay low key, this type of thing usually results into people digging into the private lives of everybody involved and blaming them if they tried to do anything on the cheap etc.

Hopefully it turns out good, but I don't recall any previous 'lost PCBs' actually being tracked down :/

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#372581 - 12/31/17 02:26 PM

I dont see how in the hell the label on a package can be changed or switched once its been sent and entered the postal system short of intentional mail tampering by a postal employee (which is 100% illegal in pretty much any country I would have thought)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#372583 - 12/31/17 02:54 PM

> > Was this package shipped with tracking?
>
>
> Yes, one box had the label switched to someone else’s box which was delivered to
> me...it wasn’t even the same size or weight

If you can get me any photos that you have, as well as where the box was last seen, I can put the call out on Twitter and hopefully get a visibility boost via the Internet Archive folks.

byuu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/17/06
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Haze]
#372585 - 12/31/17 04:31 PM

I pinged Shou some info on this. But to note for others in the future, unfortunately I can't really help here. USPS contacted me, not the other way around. All my efforts to engage them first were futile.

> Unless they're honest about it the PCBs will probably just end up being split up and sold if that's the case.

Nothing there at the moment, but it's good to watch USPS' auctions here:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearchResults&myseller=4703

Yeah, USPS will sell your stuff if they can. Also check eBay periodically for new arcade PCB listings.

> Probably also a problem if ShouTime wants to stay low key, this type of thing usually results into people digging into the private lives of everybody involved and blaming them if they tried to do anything on the cheap etc.

Yep. Lots of people accused me of it all being a big scam to get donations (I offered to refund everyone that donated once found), that I faked the USPS label, attacked both myself and the person lending me their games free of charge for not packaging it well enough or securing it for enough money, went after the donor after we explained some of the challenges there, etc.

Really nasty stuff, and I abused my fame and burned through a good chunk of my reputation on it, but totally worth it to have gotten the games back in the end.

It still saddens me how many people believe I would have gotten the games back had I just been patient and said nothing. Those boxes had my address plainly visible on them and they sent it from New Jersey to to the Atlanta, GA recovery center where it sat around for two months waiting out the clock to be sold. I don't think they knew how much they were worth or were trying to get rich, but I do think they didn't wanna pay to ship them back to me now that the postage stamp was ripped off. Within days of the CA folks contacting me, they were found. CA only contacted me because I hit Reddit r/all for a bit and a manager there saw it.

byuu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/17/06
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#372586 - 12/31/17 04:45 PM

> and hopefully get a visibility boost via the Internet Archive folks.

Friendly note, while Jason was nice and did help boost my message a touch, he didn't seem happy with me over the whole situation. I was probably too panicky, but all the same, may want to tread lightly if you ask him for help.

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: jonwil]
#372587 - 12/31/17 04:56 PM

> I dont see how in the hell the label on a package can be changed or switched once its
> been sent and entered the postal system short of intentional mail tampering by a
> postal employee (which is 100% illegal in pretty much any country I would have
> thought)

I mailed 3 boxes from this location which cost almost $700.
Every single one had the postage label with the customs info ripped off.
The 1 box which made it to Japan lost its label as well and I had to deal with the Japan Post Office to recover it.

When you print a label yourself on USPS.com, they take it and put it in a plastic pouch. My guess is that it popped out of there due to the thickness of the papers.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: byuu]
#372588 - 12/31/17 04:58 PM

> > and hopefully get a visibility boost via the Internet Archive folks.
>
> Friendly note, while Jason was nice and did help boost my message a touch, he didn't
> seem happy with me over the whole situation. I was probably too panicky, but all the
> same, may want to tread lightly if you ask him for help.

He and I are on pretty decent terms after having a drink (well, he had a Coca-Cola) at a Stockholm pub when he was in town. But I would of course ask him if it was something he felt comfortable doing, first.

Nomax
Ryo Hazuki
Reged: 11/19/03
Loc: Belgium
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games [Re: jonwil]
#372590 - 12/31/17 05:05 PM

> I dont see how in the hell the label on a package can be changed or switched once its
> been sent and entered the postal system short of intentional mail tampering by a
> postal employee (which is 100% illegal in pretty much any country I would have
> thought)

I work for the Belgian post (bpost). The situation may be different here but when packages from France enter the Belgian post system, a sticker with a barcode (internal to the Belgian post system) is applied to each package. It allows the tracking of that package inside Belgium. This barcode is different than the original sticker (and number) put on the package when sent from France. On the other hand, we also distribute DHL packages sent from Germany. On those packages, there's no additional barcode added. We use the original DHL barcode.

So the confusion may happened when the package arrived in the other country where the new barcode would have been associated with the original barcode of the wrong package.

In the past, I got 2 big packages lost in the US postal system. Never got them.

--------------------
NPlayers.ini - The multiplayer description file for MAME. (Linux user #448789)

Tornadoboy
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/09/11
Loc: Massachusetts
Send PM

#372591 - 12/31/17 05:42 PM

This is horrible news, I hope they're recovered somehow.

Hope there wasn't any "grails" among them?

ArcadeG
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/21/17
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Tornadoboy]
#372594 - 12/31/17 07:15 PM

USPS sucks! They already lost me a package once fucking Sissy's!! Workings there should be all fired

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#372600 - 12/31/17 09:41 PM

I sent an online complaint and the local postmaster gave me a call. It’s a government subsidiary so unless your postmaster is a decent human being, they don’t care if you never use them again.

JustNiz
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/29/15
Send PM

#372609 - 01/01/18 03:19 AM

Very sorry to hear that, but come on guys it was beyond dumb to ship that stuff via USPS, especially having already been bitten before, and especially around the Christmas rush, and especially not shipping it insured.

I get that UPS, Fedex etc would probably have been significantly more expensive but with anything that irreplaceable USPS shouldn't ever be considered an option.

Edited by JustNiz (01/01/18 03:20 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: JustNiz]
#372610 - 01/01/18 03:35 AM

Speak for yourself. I'd never use anything else for international or you can put your house up for mortgage. You're telling me you use other shippers regularly for shipping pcbs internationally?

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: JustNiz]
#372646 - 01/02/18 02:30 AM

> Very sorry to hear that, but come on guys it was beyond dumb to ship that stuff via
> USPS, especially having already been bitten before, and especially around the
> Christmas rush, and especially not shipping it insured.
>
> I get that UPS, Fedex etc would probably have been significantly more expensive but
> with anything that irreplaceable USPS shouldn't ever be considered an option.

I was wondering too why USPS was being used for important shipments like this when UPS and Fedex are a lot better suited to the task.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Master O]
#372647 - 01/02/18 02:34 AM

There must be major differences in the way governments divvy out subsidies for mail. Using anything other than USPS going USA to international and you're going to pay thousands of dollars quickly so what are you saying? Literally nobody can afford to ship that way other than businesses that have bulk should-be-illegal deals.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Smitdogg]
#372648 - 01/02/18 02:41 AM

> There must be major differences in the way governments divvy out subsidies for mail.
> Using anything other than USPS going USA to international and you're going to pay
> thousands of dollars quickly so what are you saying? Literally nobody can afford to
> ship that way other than businesses that have bulk should-be-illegal deals.

Well, USPS has demonstrated itself to be unreliable, so there might not be much of a choice.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#372649 - 01/02/18 02:44 AM

When you're dealing with several boxes that your insurance company would drop you over picking up that cost $700 to ship with USPS or bankruptcy elsewhere let me know where you wind up.

PoorKenny
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/04/12
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Send PM

#372654 - 01/02/18 07:19 AM

> Well, USPS has demonstrated itself to be unreliable, so there might not be much of a
> choice.

Over the last 20 years I've sent thousands of packages via USPS and the number that have been lost or damaged I could count on one hand. But a .001% failure rate is "unreliable" in your mind?

Everyone notices when a service fails but nobody pays attention to the dozens/hundreds/thousands of times when everything works the way it should. The USPS may not be the best in the world but accidents can and do happen. Regardless which service you use.

Keatah
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/23/12
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: PoorKenny]
#372659 - 01/02/18 11:37 AM

I think part of the problem was packing a lot of boards into one box. Better to ship them in small groups of 2 or 3 rather than bulk.

That way if something gets lost it's only 1 or 2 items. Not the whole shebang!

Dullaron
Send PM

#372660 - 01/02/18 01:55 PM

> Shipped 2 large boxes with over undumped 30 PCBs from the US back in November which
> USPS has lost.
>
> If anyone can get the word out to the USPS that they fucked up yet another
> preservation effort and can get a contact person, please let me know via DM or social
> media.

I don't get it how they get away with this. Tracker have a big database on where those are going. If a box didn't make it on time to where it need to be then they should've question about it. This isn't the old days where there no computers to check from. I do know who ever swapping or what ever can go to prison here in United States. That is a crime for stealing.

JustNiz
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/29/15
Send PM

#372667 - 01/02/18 08:00 PM

What boards were in the boxes?
Just so we can know what to look out for on ebay etc.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Keatah]
#372668 - 01/02/18 08:10 PM

Every time you split up a box your cost total skyrockets. You would shoot yourself in the foot every time you stepped into the post office.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Dullaron]
#372669 - 01/02/18 08:49 PM

> > Shipped 2 large boxes with over undumped 30 PCBs from the US back in November which
> > USPS has lost.
> >
> > If anyone can get the word out to the USPS that they fucked up yet another
> > preservation effort and can get a contact person, please let me know via DM or
> social
> > media.
>
> I don't get it how they get away with this. Tracker have a big database on where
> those are going. If a box didn't make it on time to where it need to be then they
> should've question about it. This isn't the old days where there no computers to
> check from. I do know who ever swapping or what ever can go to prison here in United
> States. That is a crime for stealing.

I have had packages get scanned once, then vanish until they get delivered. Just because they have scannable barcodes doesn't mean they're tracked all the way.

Instead of Americans piling on Shou for using USPS, they should be contacting their local postmasters so they poke into this stuff. If the package entered the country, and if the shipping label was switched, then there should be a record of where the box that Shou got was meant to be delivered. USPS should be investigating this mess.

NONE OF THIS is Shou's fault. We need to help him in any way we can instead of bitching about the shipping provider he used.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Foxhack]
#372676 - 01/03/18 04:11 AM

> NONE OF THIS is Shou's fault.

Agreed.

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: PoorKenny]
#372678 - 01/03/18 04:45 AM

Most of the lost packages I've experienced in my lifetime could have been rectified by requiring a signature. Unfortunately all the packages that have been lost were sent to me and I didn't have any say in the matter. Whenever I ship something irreplaceable I demand a signature.

That said, they have certainly lost my packages more times than I can count.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: anikom15]
#372679 - 01/03/18 05:30 AM

> Most of the lost packages I've experienced in my lifetime could have been rectified
> by requiring a signature. Unfortunately all the packages that have been lost were
> sent to me and I didn't have any say in the matter. Whenever I ship something
> irreplaceable I demand a signature.
>
> That said, they have certainly lost my packages more times than I can count.

I guest it time to switch then. Seem like USPS not trusted now. Getting out of hand. They need to be shut down for good. So many damages they done. This issue been reported in years.

Here another issue. eBay scammers. This is the reason why I don't use eBay. I don't trust it.

*=/STARRIDER\=*
MAME Punk
Reged: 02/06/12
Loc: an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
Send PM

#372681 - 01/03/18 06:27 AM

This is not ShouTime's fault!
The USPS is full of flaws.
I have been a part of many transactions where packages were tracked and marked as delivered but were NOT, but did show up eventually.
Google it the USPS does it routinely.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: anikom15]
#372682 - 01/03/18 07:41 AM

I used to have a Netflix account way, way back when the just rented out discs. A friend and I would share movies we rented. There were no problems at all returning discs through the USPS from my home, but whenever he returned movies near him, they would disappear.

Few people are blaming Shou in this- fault looks to be with the USPS, whether theft, carelessness, or whatever caused labels to be switched around.

Sacrilego
Reged: 09/10/05
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: *=/STARRIDER\=*]
#372693 - 01/03/18 10:00 PM

Yep, that's very typical of USPS with national (US) deliveries. I've had this happen several times with purchases from EBay. But I don't think the same is true for international packages sent from the US.

roloway
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/09/07
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Sacrilego]
#373758 - 02/07/18 08:17 PM

I've been periodically checking the USPS Recovery Center link for auctions but no luck so far. Are there any news on the lost pcbs?

F1ReB4LL
Reged: 03/09/05
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: roloway]
#373799 - 02/09/18 07:25 AM

> I've been periodically checking the USPS Recovery Center link for auctions but no
> luck so far. Are there any news on the lost pcbs?

I've thought USPS simply swapped 2 packages? Shou got someone else's package and that someone else got his? Then these are unlikely to appear on USPS aucs, more like on eBay.

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: roloway]
#373850 - 02/11/18 04:26 PM

> I've been periodically checking the USPS Recovery Center link for auctions but no
> luck so far. Are there any news on the lost pcbs?

Nothing yet

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: byuu]
#378414 - 09/02/18 06:15 AM

> Nothing there at the moment, but it's good to watch USPS' auctions here:
>
> https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearchResults&myseller=4703
>

A whole bunch of stuff went up at govdeals in the past day or so (20180902), have people been watching that site over the past few months?

LN

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: USPS lost a ton of undumped games new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#378416 - 09/02/18 08:29 AM

WOW, tons of interesting stuff there ....

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5081