> > Can someone please post detailed instructions on how to update/convert an entire
> > current CHD directory which is version 4 to another CHD directory which is version
> > and also how to verify that the conversion has worked - ie:
> > g:\CHD_V4
> > to
> > g:\CHD_V5
> for %i in (g:\CHD_V4\*.chd) do chdman copy -i %i -o g:\CHD_V5\%~nxi
I turned that into a .bat file and added some tweaks to it so it runs in low priority, so I can run other programs on my system without it lagging the entire system out.
Here is the content of chd.bat:
for %%i in (g:\CHD_v4\*.chd) do %comspec% /c start /low /wait chdman copy -i %%i -o g:\CHD_v5\%%~nxi
This will kick off a new cmd.exe process for each call to chdman.exe that will close when completed, then a new window will open.
/wait added to it will prevent it from trying to execute 438 simultaneous instances of chdman. It will still run one at a time.
If you don't want new windows to pop in and out, and instead want it all to run in the window window, you can add a /b in the list of arguments before chdman, but then you lose the ability to CTRL-C terminate.
In case anyone was wondering how long this process takes and what disk space is saved, I started the process last night to see for myself. Here are my findings:
Size of CHD_v4 directory: 240,243,510,229 bytes
Size of CHD_v5 directory: 230,936,465,918 bytes (a 3.87% reduction in size)
Process started: 21:18 Monday
Process ended: 16:11 Tuesday
Duration: 18 hours, 53 minutes
Of course, your mileage may vary depending on your system's specs vs. mine.
I've done all the work in separate directories from my MAME library, so I wouldn't mess anything up. So I don't know how CLRMamePro will handle the v5 CHD files yet. I'll probably will run a similar process again when .146 is released and then merge them into my library at that time.