finally keeping my promise of releasing valkyrie, I've published the full source on github:
Feel free to grab a copy and mess with it :-)
A couple of very important points:
- There is a ton of documentation in the source. Pretty much every little detail I have found is annotated right there. The only exception are of course the manually annotated disassemblies, that AFAIK I'm restricted to keep for myself.
- I have made some serious updates to the GPU emulation and renderer since the last update; this means that the two RAM areas previously known as UNKRAM, are now finally assigned their real (hopefully) name: texture RAM. And the old Texture RAM area is now known as the frame buffer area. As a consequence, the boot menu texture now needs to be decoded properly, which is not implemented yet. The end result is that the menu text is currently unreadable.
- The aforementioned update also documents A LOT of previously unknown or under-documented GPU instructions. The renderer has not been updated to draw meshes properly according to the new findings, due to extreme lack of time on my part.
- Due again to lack of time, I have not fixed everything I could before the release. This means that some portions of the code are in a rather poor state, especially the ROM loading code. Feel free to blame me and fix the thing yourself. ;-)
Make sure to read the README, INSTALL, CONTRIBUTING, and TODO files for more details. If you want to contribute, feel welcomed. I won't have much time to spend on valkyrie until deep summer, and probably not even then; but I'll happily answer requests for clarification or guidance, and merge requests.
Also please, please, plese let me know if you find any embarrassing bug or traces of foul language in the source ;-)