Perhaps a screenshot of my "multiple emulator" front end GameEx will shed some light on the dilemma. Please just take this is an example. It's not about me.
1. I don't have the option of forcing everyone to only use MAME. I need to support all Emulators. If I only supported MAME and MESS and this was a different kind of product there would be no issue as I would integrate everything. Which by the way as mentioned, would be a killer front end but I don't have that option right now. I agree its certainly worth exploring though.
2. You can see in the screenshot the front end is using both MAME (Arcade) and MESS.
3. No disagreement from me on how awesome MAME (Arcade) and MESS are and no lack of support in GameEx either. Also, no complaints on having a combined build. I think its a good idea. For me personally its renewed my passion for MAME. It's exciting times.
4. At worst, all that happens with official 0.162 is folks see a few extra entries in the list. Most are filtered out. If not folks can just press "delete".
5. So the end result is it encourages people not to use the official build.
6. I would like to use Software lists for consoles in the future and as things are it means two separate builds of the same code are required.
7. I am just trying to help and am being a little OC. Its no big deal and I have no complaints.