Re: Mame Gives No Logs, PlzHlp!
06/12/18 07:09 AM
im using the timeout only to create an interesting delay between each screen starting. my effects use a crt-startup effect. the timeouts also help against "cannot start direct3d" error that comes from starting more then one process at a time. something to do with how d3d loads, there is a preload phase before it settles into operation. once its operating and not preloading, then you can start a new instance. so initially my timeouts were 1 second. but i set them to 7. just cause it looks awesome on each screen to see it change one by one! *^-^*
the -reason- for not wanting a bunch of extra bat files i call on is just that. im not looking for 1 bat to rule them all. I'm looking for 1 bat to edit them all. i am not fond of having a separate ini for every rom, a separate bat for every rom, and then a separate bat to run all the bats. it's a circus to try to edit each one, when i can instead edit-and-run them all from just 1 instance.
now as to why i prefer to use start: The retitled CMD window that [start "NAME" [path]] is creating, allows me as a user (whom is witnessing them opening), to easily associate which cmd window is associated to which Display window. this is because for every mame instance, there is both a cmd output window for it, and a display window output for it. in my first experiments, i ended up with 4 cmd windows just called MAME. and the 4 display windows too. discerning which to close or look to for details, was a mess! the start command allows me to rename the title of the mame-cmd window that will be created.
but i will say, your input about the locked write process makes sense. i presumed it only opened wrote to saved and exited out of the log file when it needed to update something. but i realize even if that was the case id be getting any one of them mixing their feedback into the log file randomly. this is not desired at all.. thank you for helping me realize a flaw before i encountered it! I'll be changing the designated log for each instance hence forth so i can keep track of which mame is the one having issue when issue occurs. not that im having any issues now that its all working. but going forward i do want to have logs.
presently im looking into how to do windowed-fullscreen too, and set the windows as maximized without title-bars, and set them to "always on top" so i don't have to alt tab to see each one on each screen. >.<; that's my largest problem at the moment. and I've read in other forums, using "START" is how to manage window's window creation perimeters toward that regard.
i think im going to toy with "DxWnd" (v2_04_79_build.rar)
it can force a fullscreen-DirectX game to be windowed mode, and has a lot of switches i can call on to do things like maximize, and remove tital-bar i think. not sure if i can do "always on top" with it. but i know cmd: "start" can do that.
Nope fail drats! DxWnd works only on x86 (32 bit) processes. >.< its not recognizing my mame64 at all. Ill try GameCompanion(2.4 by BUDA20) or Borderless-Gaming (https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming)
still need an effective way of still using start, and getting a log file from the mame that runs. maybe i can try a
start "asteroids" mame.exe asteroids.zip "> asteroidsLog.txt |more 2>&1"
sort of thing using quotes so its escaped once and sent as a parameter for mame to use and not for that bat to use.
EDIT3: Thanks Kirik!
start "TEMPEST" CMD.EXE /C ^(C:\Games\Emu\Arcade\Mame0.198b\mame64.exe tempest3.zip -rp F:\ROMs\Arcade -skip_gameinfo -screen \\.\DISPLAY5 -triplebuffer -throttle -sleep -refreshspeed -sound none -flicker 0.6 -window -maximize ^> tempestLog.txt 2^>^&1^)
seems to work for logging!
still trying to tackle the maximized Windowed～borderless～fullscreen though (wow that's a mouthful)! Vas mentioned BGFX creates one, GPU rendered, but my attempt at adding -video BGFX did not result in a borderless window at all.
Here are my specs:
Operating System: Win7Ult_x64 SP1 Eng
MotherBoard: ASUS E6356_P6X58-E_Pro
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.5GHz [12 CPUs]
Memory: 48GB DDR3 RAM @1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 CL9
DirectX Ver: DirectX 9 & DirectX 11
GPU1 "\\.\DISPLAY1": Sea Hawk NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 HD
GPU2 "\\.\DISPLAY5": R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 Power Edition OC [AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series]
mame64.exe v0.198b :
i used the following
-video bgfx -windowed -maximise
Edited by ThumpieBunnyEve (06/17/18 11:22 PM)