MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

pbiancardi
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/21/10
Send PM

Question about moving arcade cabinet.
#234425 - 09/23/10 08:15 PM Attachment: 18092010010.jpg 35 KB (1 downloads)

I am going to pickup my arcade cabinet on Saturday, I plan on using my ATV trailer with ramps to haul it with.

Can I (or should I) lay it on its back for transport or does it have to remain upright? I am assuming laying it on its back is best but I am not sure if that can damage the monitor? Thanks for the input.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DJ_Infinity
Lurker
Reged: 10/17/03
Send PM

Re: Question about moving arcade cabinet. new [Re: pbiancardi]
#234435 - 09/23/10 09:40 PM

Before you do that make sure your monitor is securely mounted. I moved my Virtua Tennis machine in my Chevy Equinox from Tennessee to Indianapolis on its back it was fine. or either you could pop the monitor out and put it in the truck with you.

pbiancardi
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about moving arcade cabinet. new [Re: DJ_Infinity]
#234436 - 09/23/10 09:44 PM

> Before you do that make sure your monitor is securely mounted. I moved my Virtua
> Tennis machine in my Chevy Equinox from Tennessee to Indianapolis on its back it was
> fine. or either you could pop the monitor out and put it in the truck with you.

If I were to remove the monitor is there special handling required so I dont electrocute myself? I am intimidated after reading some arcade monitor FAQ's...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#234437 - 09/23/10 09:48 PM

I asked that same question years ago, and IIRC I was told to ship it upright....

I forget the exact reasons given, but IIRC it's the monitor that is the issue.

And I can say I've never seen an arcade cab shipped laying down.

That said, if you can't secure it upright, it's better to ship it laying down that to let it puzzle bobble off your trailer and get destroyed.

Oh, and one last piece of advice... don't transport it with a giant steel safe sitting next to it...

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#234440 - 09/23/10 09:58 PM

Laying it down is fine so long as its done carefully. I've transported loads of cabs in my Estate Car laid on their back and not killed one yet.

Make sure there aren't any protrusions, brackets etc sticking out that are going to get bent/snapped/pushed through the back when you lay it down.

Open the cab up and make sure there's nothing loose inside that will move or fall when tipping it. Generally the only damage you can cause by tilting or laying a cab down will be caused by loose coins, screws or components inside crashing into other stuff inside.

Take ropes or strapping to secure it to the bed. Ideally stick some thick cloth under all the contact points to prevent scuffing. Make sure its secured from sliding backward and forward as well as side to side. I usually lay a blanket down first so the T-Moulding doesn't get scuffed when sliding it in or out.

Really though, just use a bit of common sense, keep it slow and steady and make sure you've got enough help on hand to load and unload it easily.

The only possible issue I could see with a monitor would perhaps be regarding polarity and it needing degaussing when its put back upright but AFAIK most post 80's monitors do this anyway without having to go all Harry Potter on them.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#234469 - 09/24/10 01:21 AM

> > Before you do that make sure your monitor is securely mounted. I moved my Virtua
> > Tennis machine in my Chevy Equinox from Tennessee to Indianapolis on its back it
> was
> > fine. or either you could pop the monitor out and put it in the truck with you.
>
> If I were to remove the monitor is there special handling required so I dont
> electrocute myself? I am intimidated after reading some arcade monitor FAQ's...

As long as everything is secured laying it on it's back is is fine. Just a word to the wise (speaking from more experience than I care to admit), make sure that the keys aren't in the back door lock before you lay it down.

pbiancardi
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Question about moving arcade cabinet. new [Re: italie]
#234543 - 09/24/10 04:16 PM

Thanks everyone, cant wait to get it home.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4050