View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Bazooka game? gregf?
#242497 - 01/03/11 04:17 AM Attachment: EA7910p63.rar 10677 KB (34 downloads)

I was scanning old documents and I came across an article on the repair of a coinop called "Bazooka". I've attached the article for your reading pleasure.

I get the impression that this game is non cpu, but what do you think?

Does anyone have info on this game?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? new [Re: Robbbert]
#242500 - 01/03/11 05:45 AM

>I was scanning old documents and I came across an article on the repair of a coinop
> called "Bazooka". I've attached the article for your reading pleasure.

Thanks. I'll check this out.

>I get the impression that this game is non cpu, but what do you think? Does anyone have
>info on this game?

There are two games of the same gamplay. Player shoots as many military vehicles moving both left and right (horizontally) from one side of screen to the other while trying to avoid hitting ambulance and stretchers. The game is set at a fixed times (adjustable by operator) and when time expires, game ends. The Bazooka roms, floating around, should be of PSE's game.

I don't know if PSE licensed from Taito or if Taito licensed from PSE.

Project Support Engineering's Bazooka which is a non-cpu game.

And.

Taito's Cross Fire which is probably also a non-cpu game (not confirmed like Bazooka, but has same pcb layout arrangement iirc).

The Bazooka pcb is multi pcb system with 3 different boards and each pcb has a specific function. It is also like this with Desert Patrol and Game Tree....and probably the same for Maneater iirc ....going by memory of old ebay auction photos.

There are some reference photos on Discrete Logistics in PSE section.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? new [Re: gregf]
#330736 - 08/27/14 03:02 PM

> > I was scanning old documents and I came across an article on the repair of a coinop
> > called "Bazooka". I've attached the article for your reading pleasure.
>
> Thanks. I'll check this out.
>
>
> > I get the impression that this game is non cpu, but what do you think? Does anyone
> have
> > info on this game?
>
> There are two games of the same gamplay. Player shoots as many military vehicles
> moving both left and right (horizontally) from one side of screen to the other while
> trying to avoid hitting ambulance and stretchers. The game is set at a fixed times
> (adjustable by operator) and when time expires, game ends. The Bazooka roms, floating
> around, should be of PSE's game.
>
> I don't know if PSE licensed from Taito or if Taito licensed from PSE.
>
>
> Project Support Engineering's Bazooka which is a non-cpu game.
>
> And.
>
> Taito's Cross Fire which is probably also a non-cpu game (not confirmed like
> Bazooka, but has same pcb layout arrangement iirc).
>
>
> The Bazooka pcb is multi pcb system with 3 different boards and each pcb has a
> specific function. It is also like this with Desert Patrol and Game Tree....and
> probably the same for Maneater iirc ....going by memory of old ebay auction photos.
>
> There are some reference photos on Discrete Logistics in PSE section.

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I've read it just now...

PSE's Bazooka and TAITO Cross Fire are different games. Both have the same concept, but the graphics on these games are quite different, so they do not share the same board for sure.

Yesterday I've tracked down 3 (yes, THREE!!) Taito Bazooka machines still working here in Brazil (This is the Cross Fire game that had its name changed to Bazooka around here at the time they were imported by Taito do Brasil). I have some pics of it and I'll post it later here. To my surprise, there is ANOTHER game here called BAZOOKA II. It has a different bezel at least, but I don't know if the game is the same or if it has some minor changes, I'll have to check it out personally.

I hope that these guys still posess the original manual and the schematics for these games, so I can take a copy of it to share. The biggest problem I see is regarding the ROM dumps. I don't think they will allow me to have a dump of the boards. And I have no idea of where I could take these boards to dump around here!! Does anyone here have the necessary skills and tools to dump such an old board like this??

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#330747 - 08/27/14 06:28 PM

I'm pretty certain we have a ROM dump of Taito Brasil's Bazooka. IIRC it's a CPU-less game.

*edit* yeah, Taito Brasil Bazooka is a clone of Taito's CrossFire.

I can see these exact gfx in two of the roms (2-frame animation, it seems) http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=252&image=2

Edited by hap (08/27/14 06:46 PM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? (PICTURES AND LINK INSIDE) :) new [Re: hap]
#330749 - 08/27/14 07:06 PM

> I'm pretty certain we have a ROM dump of Taito Brasil's Bazooka. IIRC it's a CPU-less
> game.

The only dump I've seen until now is a dump that I still have from a PSE's Bazooka machine made by Al Kossow a loong time ago. This dump contains the graphics for the game.

Could you take a look at this dump you have to check if it's the same that I have?

Regarding pictures, here are some of them:

A kid playing an original Taito Bazooka back there (this kid is not me!! I was prettier than that, I'm sure!! I didn't have mullets too!):

Some shots of the Bazooka II game also made by Taito:

This is the original backdrop before restoration, according to the website. I think that they did a reproduction of this piece a couple years ago, but I don't know if it turned out good or not. I'll have to check it out personally to see:

I think that this is the original Bazooka sideart:

PCB (I still don't know if this is a Bazooka or Bazooka II PCB and what is the difference between these two versions of the game):

Some other pics:

And LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I've found one guy who actually have fully restored an italian Taito Bazooka bootleg. Check his website to see all steps of this cool restoration!!! The guy has even the schematics for the game (or at least part of them):

http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=5

This bootleg uses the same font for the "Bazooka" logo but it has no Taito seal next to it, and the background is different from the official Taito cabinet. The sideart is completely different too.

hap
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? (PICTURES AND LINK INSIDE) :) new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#330752 - 08/27/14 07:34 PM

I don't know, is PSE Bazooka romdump 'out in the wild'? If you would share that romdump (PSE Bazooka), it can be added to MAME. For now just for archival purposes; we only emulate Pong at the moment.

http://www.mamedev.org/contact.html
(or could just PM me a download link)

nevermind, found them =)

I added Taito Bazooka a few moments ago http://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/drivers/taitottl.c

Edited by hap (08/27/14 08:21 PM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#330756 - 08/27/14 08:25 PM

> I don't know, is PSE Bazooka romdump 'out in the wild'? If you would share that
> romdump (PSE Bazooka), it can be added to MAME. For now just for archival purposes;
> we only emulate Pong at the moment.
>
> http://www.mamedev.org/contact.html
> (or could just PM me a download link)
>
> I added Taito Bazooka a few moments ago
> http://git.redump.net/mame/tree/src/mame/drivers/taitottl.c

I don't think it's 'out in the wild' but I've sent it to some people already (including richr and AdamB from the DICE project) to check if it would be possible to emulate it using those damaged PSE Bazooka schematics and some wild guessing! But I can send it to you of course, so it can be properly added to MAME. I'll grab the files at home later today and I'll make them available here.

hap
Send PM

#330760 - 08/27/14 08:51 PM

They were on our(MAME/MESS team) archive, that's 'out in the wild' enough for me
I will add it in a second.

So, who made this game 1st? Was PSE Taito's distributor for Cross Fire in the USA? Or is Taito's Cross Fire a Japan distribution of PSE's Bazooka?

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

#330766 - 08/27/14 09:25 PM

> They were on our(MAME/MESS team) archive, that's 'out in the wild' enough for me
> I will add it in a second.

> So, who made this game 1st? Was PSE Taito's distributor for Cross Fire in the USA? Or
> is Taito's Cross Fire a Japan distribution of PSE's Bazooka?

This reminds me of that old question: Which one came first, the egg or the chicken? Both were released in 1977 and I really would like to know the answer to this question too. But until now I couldn't find anything about the release date of these two games. I guess that one company stole the idea and game concepts from the other and both versions ended up being released one right after the another. Even the mounted bazooka shape is quite similar!!

As I said before, they are not the same game. The 'mechanics' of the game are the same but the sprites used in the game are very different.

hap
Send PM

#330771 - 08/28/14 12:39 AM

> As I said before, they are not the same game. The 'mechanics' of the game are the
> same but the sprites used in the game are very different.

Yes the sprite gfx roms differ, but so far everything else seems identical.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? (WHAT IS INSIDE THE ROMS?) :) new [Re: hap]
#330773 - 08/28/14 01:44 AM Attachment: Bazooka_ripped_sprites.jpg 45 KB (4 downloads)

ADMIN:
This was added today already in r31812 - no need to post.
In the future use private means to transfer data of this type, please.

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=bfa7c9a4682d1d4661528bbdafe8c014e14dd98b

Attached ripped graphics picture..

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? (WHAT IS INSIDE THE ROMS?) :) new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#330780 - 08/28/14 02:53 AM

Sorry about that and thanks for the driver info!!

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? gregf? (VIDEO) :) new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#330782 - 08/28/14 03:41 AM

This time I've found a very small video footage of the brazilian Bazooka gameplay on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSVp_wHrjyQ

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#332663 - 10/02/14 03:37 PM

>> So, who made this game 1st? Was PSE Taito's distributor for Cross Fire in the USA? Or
>> is Taito's Cross Fire a Japan distribution of PSE's Bazooka?

>This reminds me of that old question: Which one came first, the egg or the chicken? Both
>were released in 1977 and I really would like to know the answer to this question too.
>But until now I couldn't find anything about the release date of these two games. I
>guess that one company stole the idea and game concepts from the other and both
>versions ended up being released one right after the another. Even the mounted bazooka
>shape is quite similar!!

Keith Smith is most likely the best reliable source of knowing the answers for Bazooka such as did Taito create the game first and PSE licensed from Taito. Or was it other way around of which Taito licensed Bazooka from PSE and marketed the game as Crossfire. And then where does Taito Brazil fall in with this game.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

time for PSE Desert Patrol mini thread *edit* new [Re: Robbbert]
#332666 - 10/02/14 04:22 PM Attachment: rip081.zip 152 KB (22 downloads)

*Burying this within the Bazooka games thread rather than starting a new thread since it is also a PSE game.*

For those that have seen data images for Bazooka and wonder how they were generated, it would likely be from Marc Lafontaine's program called Ripper which can be grabbed from here as a zip file attachment. The zip file also includes same instructions I typed here for how to view PSE game images and an image of airplane targets from Desert Patrol.

Marc Lafontaine contributed to MAME during MAME's early years such as this entry for release .13 from 1997.

----
- Marc Lafontaine submitted a new palette for Zaxxon.

The program has capability of viewing images off of some roms of 1970s and some 1980s era arcade video games. For an example of describing how to view images of either PSE Bazooka or PSE Desert Patrol, load a file where it says file1 and press CP. Set the width to 32 and in the algorithm you have to change the bits to reverse order.

The 'change the bits to reverse order' might not make sense, but what this means is the user presses the algorithm button and then a different screen appears. User presses the Clear button, and after doing that then click on number buttons in direction of going from right to left side (ie 'reverse orer').

Once that is done, then press okay, then set width to setting of 32 and then press the CP button while Desert Patrol's file 'L4' is loaded as file1.

The images of various airplane targets will then appear on the screen, but in an upside down position. The upside down snap image, can be fixed by using a paint editor program to have the image rotated to a right side up position.

Desert Patrol airplane images used to be shown on Dave Widel's website for many years until the web site closed. The example typed above is how dwidel created the airplane target images of Desert Patrol.

roms/proms for PSE Desert patrol are documented in MAME, but it is an incomplete set at this time. A complete working set will still be needed.

The airplane images come from Prom 1 location 4L of Board 2 of Desert Patrol.

If curious as to what Desert Patrol uses, here is a brief description, (now also documented in MAME source code) of what each prom does, what board holds the prom, and prom location, and chip type of rom on each board. This is from Desert Patrol manual and is also in MAME source code.

Desert Patrol Board 1:

chip type is either 82s181 or 6341-1

Prom location at D2: game computer program code
Prom location at E2: game computer program code

Desert Patrol Board 2:

chip type is 6341-1 or 82s141

Prom 1 circuit at location L4: contains target aircraft images and explosion image
Prom 2 circuit at location L1: contains various positions of the parachute and falling man

chip type is either 82s123 or possibly 6331-1

Prom location at H7: contains prom address codes and image speeds.

Each image has its own speed and address block in the image prom.

Desert Patrol Board 3:

chip type is 8574

Prom location at D1: data in prom is organized to produce the waveform of a human scream

To summarize: Board 1 has 2 proms, Board 2 has 3 proms, and Board 3 has 1 prom.

So Desert Patrol has 6 proms total across three different pcbs.

The hardware of both Desert Patrol and Game Tree are actually same hardware layout as described by the Game Tree manual. Probably the same for PSE Bazooka, but I have never seen nor read Bazooka manual, but only its logic schematics that are online.

Edited by gregf (11/23/14 09:47 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: PSE Desert Patrol airplane targets image new [Re: gregf]
#332667 - 10/02/14 04:29 PM Attachment: psedesertpatrolplaneimages.png 5 KB (4 downloads)

For fans of Desert Patrol, do these look familiar?

This is the cleaned up image result of Desert Patrol. dwidel used to have this on his web site many years earlier before web site had disappeared. Folks will eventually be able to do same thing once Desert Patrol roms are available. I only have a partial set myself. A full working set of Desert Patrol is still needed because the rom that holds parachute figure image wasn't readable iirc.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

vernimark
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/31/14
Send PM

#335851 - 01/08/15 03:16 PM

hello, I'm the "guy" that restored the BAZOOKA.
do you have any idea where to find a board? mine has gone and has several damages and I spend a lot of time trying to repair it. that's a pity because I have that game and I can't play with it...

any help is very appreciated.

regards,
vernimark

>
>
> And LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I've found one guy who actually have fully restored an
> italian Taito Bazooka bootleg. Check his website to see all steps of this cool
> restoration!!! The guy has even the schematics for the game (or at least part of
> them):
>
> http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=5
>
> This bootleg uses the same font for the "Bazooka" logo but it has no Taito seal next
> to it, and the background is different from the official Taito cabinet. The sideart
> is completely different too.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? new [Re: vernimark]
#335852 - 01/08/15 04:11 PM

>I'm the "guy" that restored the BAZOOKA. do you have any idea where to find a board?
>mine has gone and has several damages and I spend a lot of time trying to repair it.
>that's a pity because I have that game and I can't play with it...

>any help is very appreciated.

I may have seen an untested PSE Bazooka pcb unit on N. American ebay listings many, many years earlier, but unsure if actual PSE pcb hardware would be compatible with your type of cab. Should be some others here that can provide links to other places in Europe or Asia region of being able to find pcb/parts that is compatible with cab.

Some of the other entries are interesting.

I see the mention of Amutronics pcb being used instead. Does the actual TV Competition pcb have a slide switch for adjusting the winning score to be set to either "11" or "15"?

That would be interesting if the company only had pcb set to "11" and there is no adustable slide switch built on the pcb. Definitely something worth documenting into MAME source as an alternate pong entry imo.

--
TV Competition

http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=64

I used an Amutronics PCB because the original one was seriously damaged.
--

This is For-Play Rally and is one that I do have paperwork (photocopy) in case you don't have any for the For-Play Rally cab. Send a message in case you need a copy for the cab. Since you already have Rally cab there, you probably already know it can be set for 2 players or 1 player versus machine.

-
http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=30

Rally
-

It would be awesome if you are able to get really, really high definition photo shots of the front and control panel of the cab. Some cab artwork gurus could make a recreation of the cab sometime later such as 3D arcade group or MAME artwork.

As for emulation of Rally, it should be possible in MAME and DICE but with a bit more work involved because of the added circuitry of player versus machine option.

Another cab that would be interesting to see in case it is different compared to Atari Rebound / Volleyball.

--
http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=31

Pallavolo
--

vernimark
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/31/14
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? new [Re: gregf]
#335857 - 01/08/15 08:56 PM

> I may have seen an untested PSE Bazooka pcb unit on N. American ebay listings many,
> many years earlier, but unsure if actual PSE pcb hardware would be compatible with
> your type of cab. Should be some others here that can provide links to other places
> in Europe or Asia region of being able to find pcb/parts that is compatible with cab.

I'm so desperate I can adapt everything believe me...

> I see the mention of Amutronics pcb being used instead. Does the actual TV
> Competition pcb have a slide switch for adjusting the winning score to be set to
> either "11" or "15"?

in this picture you can see the actual pcb on the bottom of the cab
http://www.vernimark.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tvcompetition14.jpg
it has one slide for sure but it doesn't work so I can't tell you the purpose of that switch

> That would be interesting if the company only had pcb set to "11" and there is no
> adustable slide switch built on the pcb. Definitely something worth documenting into
> MAME source as an alternate pong entry imo.

I can ask more pics to the guy I sold this cab. It had a lot of damaged tracks so I decided to not repair it

> This is For-Play Rally and is one that I do have paperwork (photocopy) in case you
> don't have any for the For-Play Rally cab. Send a message in case you need a copy for
> the cab. Since you already have Rally cab there, you probably already know it can be
> set for 2 players or 1 player versus machine.
> -
> http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=30
>
> Rally
> -
>

yep. this cab works 100% and there is a switch in order to set 1 or 2 players

> It would be awesome if you are able to get really, really high definition photo
> shots of the front and control panel of the cab. Some cab artwork gurus could make a
> recreation of the cab sometime later such as 3D arcade group or MAME artwork.
>
> As for emulation of Rally, it should be possible in MAME and DICE but with a bit
> more work involved because of the added circuitry of player versus machine option.

CP is a metal plate with some stickers on. labels are printed on transparent adhesive films. Actually one day I have to scan that CP

>
> Another cab that would be interesting to see in case it is different compared to
> Atari Rebound / Volleyball.
>
> --
> http://www.vernimark.com/?cat=31
>
> Pallavolo
> --

this cab has been made by F.lli Bertolino
this company produced Atari cabinets for the south/central europe market with legal licenses and they never produced any bootleg so I'm pretty sure it is identical to Rebound

vernimark

blinddog
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/14
Loc: Washington
Send PM

Re: PSE Desert Patrol airplane targets image new [Re: gregf]
#342490 - 07/15/15 09:35 AM

I already mentioned this to you gregf but I believe I got a good image of the parachute ROM. Here's what I see using the ripper program. I think I see a guy and parachute in there.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: PSE Desert Patrol parachute falling man images new [Re: blinddog]
#342509 - 07/15/15 09:22 PM

>but I believe I got a good image of the parachute ROM. Here's what I see using the
>Marc Lafontaine's ripper program. I think I see a guy and parachute in there.

"aaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!"

Yes. It looks just like I vaguely remember when last playing Desert Patrol in 1978. The simple stick figure images. LOL It is slowly coming together as planned. :-)

Hobbes might be somewhat pleased in case he returns here later and sees the parachute falling man images now visible for first time ever on some emulation related forums site.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? new [Re: gregf]
#346933 - 11/12/15 04:22 AM

> >> So, who made this game 1st? Was PSE Taito's distributor for Cross Fire in the USA?
> Or
> >> is Taito's Cross Fire a Japan distribution of PSE's Bazooka?
>
> > This reminds me of that old question: Which one came first, the egg or the chicken?
> Both
> > were released in 1977 and I really would like to know the answer to this question
> too.
> > But until now I couldn't find anything about the release date of these two games. I
> > guess that one company stole the idea and game concepts from the other and both
> > versions ended up being released one right after the another. Even the mounted
> bazooka
> > shape is quite similar!!
>
> Keith Smith is most likely the best reliable source of knowing the answers for
> Bazooka such as did Taito create the game first and PSE licensed from Taito. Or was
> it other way around of which Taito licensed Bazooka from PSE and marketed the game as
> Crossfire. And then where does Taito Brazil fall in with this game.

I came across this thread again.

According to the Japanese book "Arcade TV Game List Kokunai - Kaigai Hen (1971 - 2005)" (Masumi Akagi, 2006) (ISBN: 4-9902512-1-0) (Google it):
> Bazooka (Project Support Engineering) - released 1976/11.
> Cross Fire (Taito) - released 1977/08.

Furthermore I asked Keith privately and he said:
> Bazooka (aka Crossfire?) (Project Support Engineering)
> - listed Arcade-History as 1977
> - listed TAFA as 1977
> - listed Wiretap Bronze Age List(s) as 1976 and 5/77
> - appeared in RePlay 10/76
> - appeared in Play Meter 1/77
> - appeared in Vending Times 5/77

> Cross Fire (Taito)
> - listed in Arcade-History as 1977
> - listed in KLOV as 1977
> - listed in TAFA as 1977
> - listed in Wiretap Bronze Age List(s) as 1977"

This is how Keith gets his accurate dates, he checks *all* the sources (especially print sources) because the websites that offer game lists often do not provide *their* sources and citations. However, he has not used the Japanese book all that often so far, since he doesn't speak or read Japanese. He'd probably appreciate it (as would others) if people translated the whole book to English. Of course the book might not list its sources either... (Keith is also looking to expand his collection of DRA Price Guides if someone can help out there, he has the few online ones and is looking for 1970's and 1980's issues...)

So it's looking pretty definite that PSE created the game Bazooka, Taito either licensed or bootlegged it and called it Cross Fire. I don't think there's any question what Taito do Brasil did

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (11/12/15 04:25 AM)

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game? new [Re: Stiletto]
#346974 - 11/13/15 05:58 PM

> > >> So, who made this game 1st? Was PSE Taito's distributor for Cross Fire in the
> USA?
> > Or
> > >> is Taito's Cross Fire a Japan distribution of PSE's Bazooka?
> >
> > > This reminds me of that old question: Which one came first, the egg or the
> chicken?
> > Both
> > > were released in 1977 and I really would like to know the answer to this question
> > too.
> > > But until now I couldn't find anything about the release date of these two games.
> I
> > > guess that one company stole the idea and game concepts from the other and both
> > > versions ended up being released one right after the another. Even the mounted
> > bazooka
> > > shape is quite similar!!
> >
> > Keith Smith is most likely the best reliable source of knowing the answers for
> > Bazooka such as did Taito create the game first and PSE licensed from Taito. Or was
> > it other way around of which Taito licensed Bazooka from PSE and marketed the game
> as
> > Crossfire. And then where does Taito Brazil fall in with this game.
>
> I came across this thread again.
>
> According to the Japanese book "Arcade TV Game List Kokunai - Kaigai Hen (1971 -
> 2005)" (Masumi Akagi, 2006) (ISBN: 4-9902512-1-0) (Google it):
> > Bazooka (Project Support Engineering) - released 1976/11.
> > Cross Fire (Taito) - released 1977/08.
>
> Furthermore I asked Keith privately and he said:
> > Bazooka (aka Crossfire?) (Project Support Engineering)
> > - listed Arcade-History as 1977
> > - listed TAFA as 1977
> > - listed Wiretap Bronze Age List(s) as 1976 and 5/77
> > - appeared in RePlay 10/76
> > - appeared in Play Meter 1/77
> > - appeared in Vending Times 5/77
>
> > Cross Fire (Taito)
> > - listed in Arcade-History as 1977
> > - listed in KLOV as 1977
> > - listed in TAFA as 1977
> > - listed in Wiretap Bronze Age List(s) as 1977"
>
> This is how Keith gets his accurate dates, he checks *all* the sources (especially
> print sources) because the websites that offer game lists often do not provide
> *their* sources and citations. However, he has not used the Japanese book all that
> often so far, since he doesn't speak or read Japanese. He'd probably appreciate it
> (as would others) if people translated the whole book to English. Of course the book
> might not list its sources either... (Keith is also looking to expand his collection
> of DRA Price Guides if someone can help out there, he has the few online ones and is
> looking for 1970's and 1980's issues...)
>
> So it's looking pretty definite that PSE created the game Bazooka, Taito either
> licensed or bootlegged it and called it Cross Fire. I don't think there's any
> question what Taito do Brasil did
>
> - Stiletto

Great info Stiletto!! Despite the fact that they are almost identical games with similar gameplay, they have different sprites. The CrossFire graphics are better than those found in Bazooka. So, it makes sense according to the release dates you mentioned.

This info should be submitted to KLOV or to another reliable arcade-related website for preservation purposes, since it's rare information about an even more rare game.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Bazooka game and PSE status nearly ten years later. new [Re: Robbbert]
#385999 - 04/24/20 12:26 AM

*ULTIMATE NECRO THREAD BUMP* :-)

Nearly ten years. Hard to believe.

=
Bazooka game? gregf?
01/02/11

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh...part=1&vc=1

--
I was scanning old documents and I came across an article on the repair of a coinop called "Bazooka". I've attached the article for your reading pleasure.

I get the impression that this game is non cpu, but what do you think?

Does anyone have info on this game?
-
=

Now that Robbbert's post is nearly ten years since first posted, it is worth the time to mention of what has happened since this was first posted.

When Robbbert first posted this, the Bazooka rom set was simply floating around like a couple other non-cpu rom sets as odd files not yet supported in MAME. A pdf file of PSE's Game Tree was online as well.

After couriersud was able to get a non-cpu game (Pong) supported in mid spring 2012, a lot more had happened. A lot of roms and proms of non-cpu games being supported/documented in MAME source code. The roms of PSE games of both Bazooka and Desert Patrol were added and some of the roms functions were described in the pse.cpp source file including Knights in Armor. Manual scans of Knights in Armor provided by pong in 2017.

The roms for PSE Game Tree were eventually added by Andy Welburn in either 2017 or 2018 so that meant Game Tree was first PSE brand rom using game that has a chance of being emulated.

Within the last year or so paperwork (logic schematics as well) for both Desert Patrol and Bazooka have been online since Desert Patrol had some initial preliminary emulation several months earlier. The schematics for Bazooka shows a 3 board multiple pcb setup similar to Desert Patrol and Game Tree.

Bazooka, Desert Patrol, and Game Tree have a fighting chance of being emulated/preserved. Only game I ever played in arcades was Desert Patrol since that was my favorite PSE brand game.

As for remaining other PSE brand games: nothing yet for Maneater (no roms or paperwork) and for Knights in Armor, I do have logic schematics that need to be taken to ARC for scanning to PDF file and upload pdf file. Knights in Armor pcb uses two roms. They aren't in MAME source, but hopefully backed up /preserved by this time and maybe added to MAME source eventually. I need to do get a particular rom dumped from a Desert Patrol pcb to get Desert Patrol audio data rom preserved.

It is nice to know some of these PSE games have a chance of being emulated compared to ten years earlier even though it may be a while before any are fully emulated.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8712