MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

cdsinfla
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/14/11
Send PM

Horizontal or vertical screen?
#251874 - 04/15/11 03:27 PM

I am working on the design of my 1st cabinet and will be using a Dell 21" monitor. I have gone back and forth on deciding to mount it horizontal or vertical.
Any suggestions?
The games I play seem to be a mix.

The monitor I have will rotate on it's base in either direction. I thought maybe I could make an electronic motor to move it to either position inside the cab via a switch.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Will you be using in-game artwork? new [Re: cdsinfla]
#251902 - 04/15/11 08:09 PM Attachment: artwork.png 54 KB (1 downloads)

Do you want Bezels or a Big Playfield?
Just imagine the one on the right uses the full monitor height or width. Too lazy to do an accurate comparison.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Horizontal or vertical screen? new [Re: cdsinfla]
#251933 - 04/16/11 08:01 AM

> I am working on the design of my 1st cabinet and will be using a Dell 21" monitor. I
> have gone back and forth on deciding to mount it horizontal or vertical.
> Any suggestions?
> The games I play seem to be a mix.

I guess it amounts to the same thing either way, but I feel like horizontal games on a vertical monitor are going to look worse than vertical games on a horizontal monitor. Personally I'd go with mounting it horizontal.

That's one of the reasons I'm not inclined to build an actual cab at this point. My setup has dual monitors, one vertical and one horizontal, with MAME set up to pipe the appropriate games to each one. It works fantastic and looks great, it seems a shame to give that up just to have a cab.

> The monitor I have will rotate on it's base in either direction. I thought maybe I
> could make an electronic motor to move it to either position inside the cab via a
> switch.

It could work, but it seems like it'd be a significant challenge to come up with a mechanism that works smoothly.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Ya know new [Re: DMala]
#251940 - 04/16/11 05:00 PM

A cocktail sort of solves the whole horizontal/vertical thing. Play the verts on the end controls, play the horiz on the side controls.

cdsinfla
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/14/11
Send PM

Re: Ya know new [Re: GatKong]
#251952 - 04/16/11 07:43 PM

That's true. But I really want a stand up arcade.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

And looking down on a cocktail blows after a short time. (nt) new [Re: cdsinfla]
#252259 - 04/20/11 08:14 AM

Of course, sit-down cabs (a la japanese candys) are a different story.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: And looking down on a cocktail blows after a short time. (nt) new [Re: mogli]
#252333 - 04/20/11 07:00 PM

Yeah, I was never a big fan of cocktails because of the way you have to crane your neck to see. It's too bad, because they fit in better in a non-gameroom and they solve the vertical/horizontal issue rather elegantly.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3959