MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4742
Loc: California
Send PM


You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea...
#255093 - 05/21/11 01:32 AM Attachment: artwork_test.png 512 KB (6 downloads)


... you know, when you're brainstorming and stuff, and you think "Dude! That would be so awesome."


And then you sit and think about it some more, and think "Dude! That's gonna be awesome. But, it's gonna take a LOT of work."


This is gonna take a lot of work.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Mr. Do (05/21/11 04:03 AM)




RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.




Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Posts: 728
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255111 - 05/21/11 09:55 AM


This is the way ALL of mine (400 or so) are already set up, but having the option coded in would make it that much easier.

If you need help adding marquees to the existing layout files, let me know. Not difficult, but time-consuming.

Edited by Nightvoice (05/21/11 09:58 AM)



----------------------
I asked my cat what the meaning of life was... he noserized me and stuck his butt in my face.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4742
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Nightvoice]
#255116 - 05/21/11 02:36 PM


> This is the way ALL of mine (400 or so) are already set up, but having the option
> coded in would make it that much easier.
>
> If you need help adding marquees to the existing layout files, let me know. Not
> difficult, but time-consuming.


Oh... but it's gonna be more than that in the end




RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.




TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Posts: 722
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255141 - 05/22/11 02:12 AM


Oh man!
I thought I was finally seeing the light at then end of the tunnel.

I had maybe 2 more trips to go.

Good work there MrDo!.
The next wave is coming soon.

TrevEB



Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Posts: 653
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255169 - 05/22/11 03:41 PM


> ... you know, when you're brainstorming and stuff, and you think "Dude! That would be
> so awesome."
>
>
> And then you sit and think about it some more, and think "Dude! That's gonna be
> awesome. But, it's gonna take a LOT of work."
>
>
> This is gonna take a lot of work.

Neat idea. Just a request though - and not to sound like a downer, but if you do end up adding this feature, could you make it default to "off"? I think having JUST the bezel is perfect - this feature will decrease screen real-estate quite a bit more, which may be a particular issue for people with 16:9 screens, and for those of us with arcade cabs where it wouldn't make much sense to have "virtual" marquees underneath actual marquees. This is the way NeoGeo is right now unfortunately, and those marquees all have to be individually disabled.

Having said that, it's a neat feature for times when you might want to see the game AND the marquee at once. Another idea - you could include control panel art etc. too, where they exist - just to give the feel for what the entire "package" originally looked like to the player while the game was running. Just a thought.



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4742
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Shoegazr]
#255177 - 05/22/11 04:47 PM


> > ... you know, when you're brainstorming and stuff, and you think "Dude! That would
> be
> > so awesome."
> >
> >
> > And then you sit and think about it some more, and think "Dude! That's gonna be
> > awesome. But, it's gonna take a LOT of work."
> >
> >
> > This is gonna take a lot of work.
>
> Neat idea. Just a request though - and not to sound like a downer, but if you do end
> up adding this feature, could you make it default to "off"? I think having JUST the
> bezel is perfect - this feature will decrease screen real-estate quite a bit more,
> which may be a particular issue for people with 16:9 screens, and for those of us
> with arcade cabs where it wouldn't make much sense to have "virtual" marquees
> underneath actual marquees. This is the way NeoGeo is right now unfortunately, and
> those marquees all have to be individually disabled.
>
> Having said that, it's a neat feature for times when you might want to see the game
> AND the marquee at once. Another idea - you could include control panel art etc. too,
> where they exist - just to give the feel for what the entire "package" originally
> looked like to the player while the game was running. Just a thought.


You can actually set it in the mame.ini to be off (just like today with bezels, backdrops, and overlays).

The NeoGeo situation you mention is part of the reason I wanted to do it. I know there are people that won't ever want to see the marquee, and that's part of the reason I haven't added them to any other games, which isn't fair to all the other people that really want to see them.

BTW... you mention a 16:9 monitor; it looks wicked cool on one, rotated 90 degrees, filling up the whole screen

And like I said, there's more to it than what looks obvious at the moment




RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.




Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Posts: 728
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255183 - 05/22/11 06:09 PM


It would also be cool if you could add a vertical offset parameter in the layout file for marquees and cpos. Reason being, some control panels will have joysticks sticking up across the bezel, so you'd want to raise them higher than just the bottom of the bezel.



----------------------
I asked my cat what the meaning of life was... he noserized me and stuck his butt in my face.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4742
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Nightvoice]
#255187 - 05/22/11 06:34 PM


> It would also be cool if you could add a vertical offset parameter in the layout file
> for marquees and cpos. Reason being, some control panels will have joysticks sticking
> up across the bezel, so you'd want to raise them higher than just the bottom of the
> bezel.


Shhh...




RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.




Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Posts: 653
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255197 - 05/22/11 08:40 PM


> You can actually set it in the mame.ini to be off (just like today with bezels,
> backdrops, and overlays).

Hmmm.. current mame.ini shows:

artwork_crop 0
use_backdrops 1
use_overlays 1
use_bezels 1

Is there a combination thereof that would render the bezel etc. but not the marquee? Sorry if I'm totally missing something.. I probably am. :-)

> BTW... you mention a 16:9 monitor; it looks wicked cool on one, rotated 90 degrees,
> filling up the whole screen

I'm sure! Sounds cool.

> And like I said, there's more to it than what looks obvious at the moment

I imagine that once MAME includes hardware 3D rendering, the full solution would be to create a playable 3D model of the game with control panel, bezel, overlay, marquee etc. Sort of like what 3D Arcade is doing, but in a playable, in-game sense. Perhaps more like Future Pinball or a modern driving game than 3D Arcade, come to think of it. And you could zoom in either manually or automatically to crop out certain parts of the cab for different purposes (as in the example above: hotkey to only show the bezel but crop out all above/below).

Going crazy with fun/fluff brainstorming ideas here, but with a step further than that, the upcoming HLSL effects could be added in to the screen portion, where each cabinet gets the appropriate "settings" in accordance with the game's original monitor. Bezels could appear with a darker gamma than the game screen since none of them were ever "backlit" as they appear today. Many game screens such as Donkey Kong could be sunken into the cabinet, away from the bezel as they had originally appeared...

Ok I'll stop. But I do think you're right on the money that there's a lot of seriously cool stuff to consider here.



Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 4742
Loc: California
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Shoegazr]
#255241 - 05/23/11 05:27 AM


> > You can actually set it in the mame.ini to be off (just like today with bezels,
> > backdrops, and overlays).
>
> Hmmm.. current mame.ini shows:
>
> artwork_crop 0
> use_backdrops 1
> use_overlays 1
> use_bezels 1
>
> Is there a combination thereof that would render the bezel etc. but not the marquee?
> Sorry if I'm totally missing something.. I probably am. :-)


Sorry... I meant after the update I submitted, there will be two more options, for marquee and cpanel.




RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.




B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Posts: 2635
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255250 - 05/23/11 06:27 AM


> The NeoGeo situation you mention is part of the reason I wanted to do it. I know
> there are people that won't ever want to see the marquee, and that's part of the
> reason I haven't added them to any other games, which isn't fair to all the other
> people that really want to see them.

I love how the NeoGeo games look and I noticed the Mortal Kombats also look the same showing the Marquee.

Please add these to all games that's possible or post some guide so a user has choice to manually do it themselves please.

I'm one of those that really wants to see them






Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Posts: 908
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255330 - 05/23/11 11:53 PM Attachment: gravitar1000[1].png 22 KB (1 downloads)


Very nice idea. I think it would be nice to have an option to show the CPO like the one below. I know we discussed it years ago about preserving all the artwork. This idea is perfect

and Nightvoice has cranked out a nice selection of CPOs and marquees..

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Antny (05/23/11 11:55 PM)



ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Posts: 1127
Send PM


Re: You know how when you get a REALLY cool idea... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255382 - 05/24/11 09:08 AM


> ... you know, when you're brainstorming and stuff, and you think "Dude! That would be
> so awesome."
>
>
> And then you sit and think about it some more, and think "Dude! That's gonna be
> awesome. But, it's gonna take a LOT of work."
>
>
> This is gonna take a lot of work.

That does look pretty sweet. Any plans for side art or are you going to leave that to 3D arcade etc.?


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3667