MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SimplyWild
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/11
Send PM

Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new
#259676 - 07/12/11 03:19 AM

Hi Guys,

So i'm new the forums and MAME in general but i've read about them for awhile now. I wanted to get some feedback on this find. It's an old Asteroids Deluxe upright in perfect condition that i'm going to transfer into a MAME

Just kidding

I did pick up an Asteroids Deluxe cab but it's completely empty. Picked it up for $25 off craigslist. Wanted to get some feedback along w/ anything else I should know about these atari cabs. Do you guys think this is a solid cab for my first time?

It's only the first 4 pics http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/tjkurtz/AD/?action=view&current=IMG_5982.jpg ( I swear i'm not touching the good one! lol)

Anyway, i pick it up on Wed and the guy says its completely solid.

Just wanted some feedback from you "pros". I know the cab is an older design but i've kinda always liked the look of it. I basically just want 2 joysticks 2 sets of buttons (maybe 4 ea) and maybe a track ball. Am curious to know if that will fit as well....

Oh yea, he said he took out the marquee/speaker wooden piece inside the upper compartment to give to a friend who needed it but other than that i get what is in the pic...

Edited by SimplyWild (07/12/11 03:24 AM)

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: SimplyWild]
#259685 - 07/12/11 04:15 AM

> Hi Guys,
>
> So i'm new the forums and MAME in general but i've read about them for awhile now. I
> wanted to get some feedback on this find. It's an old Asteroids Deluxe upright in
> perfect condition that i'm going to transfer into a MAME
>
> .........
>
> Just kidding
>
> I did pick up an Asteroids Deluxe cab but it's completely empty. Picked it up for $25
> off craigslist. Wanted to get some feedback along w/ anything else I should know
> about these atari cabs. Do you guys think this is a solid cab for my first time?
>
> It's only the first 4 pics
> http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/tjkurtz/AD/?action=view&current=IMG_5982.jpg
> ( I swear i'm not touching the good one! lol)
>
> Anyway, i pick it up on Wed and the guy says its completely solid.
>
> Just wanted some feedback from you "pros". I know the cab is an older design but i've
> kinda always liked the look of it. I basically just want 2 joysticks 2 sets of
> buttons (maybe 4 ea) and maybe a track ball. Am curious to know if that will fit as
> well....
>
> Oh yea, he said he took out the marquee/speaker wooden piece inside the upper
> compartment to give to a friend who needed it but other than that i get what is in
> the pic...

IIRC Asteroids has a Vector monitor which isn't going to work for any PC. So that's one thing.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SimplyWild
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: Naoki]
#259688 - 07/12/11 04:16 AM

There's no monitor in it. Did you look at the pics? It's empty....has the smoke bezzel but no monitor.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#259700 - 07/12/11 06:22 AM

> There's no monitor in it. Did you look at the pics? It's empty....has the smoke
> bezzel but no monitor.

My two pence...

Try to make any modifications easily reversible. You may never turn it into a stock cabinet again, but it's just good form and feels right. Instead of cutting wires, build adapters whenever possible. If you are going to alter the control panel, cut a new piece of metal or wood instead of drilling 5 more holes in the old one. If putting in a new monitor, alter the monitor mounts to fit the cab, not the other way around (unless you alter the cab to accept both monitors.)

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: italie]
#259703 - 07/12/11 06:34 AM

Wut he sed ↑↑↑

Why not restore it back to an Asteroids Deluxe?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#259716 - 07/12/11 01:57 PM

> There's no monitor in it. Did you look at the pics? It's empty....has the smoke
> bezzel but no monitor.

Caught my bluff, no I ddidn't look at the the pic.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

SimplyWild
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: redk9258]
#259720 - 07/12/11 02:31 PM

> Wut he sed ↑↑↑
>
> Why not restore it back to an Asteroids Deluxe?

Because its costs an arm and a leg to restore a classic arcade. I just want a budget mame machine for my son so he can play all the classics that i grew up with.

SimplyWild
MAME Fan
Send PM

#259738 - 07/12/11 05:42 PM

Actually I really prefer the original Asteroids cabinet design the best. How hard is it to find an original Asteroids cab in decent condition for cheap on craiglist, ebay and other places?... I live in the midwest and none seem to be available.

Also, do you guys think this is a good find for $25?

Edited by SimplyWild (07/12/11 06:21 PM)

SimplyWild
MAME Fan
Send PM

#259760 - 07/12/11 09:29 PM

wow, so the only help I get on this forum is people telling me not to do a MAME but instead a restoration? People not even looking at the pics or answering my questions? Awesome help guys....really. Peace.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#259774 - 07/12/11 11:22 PM

> wow, so the only help I get on this forum is people telling me not to do a MAME but
> instead a restoration? People not even looking at the pics or answering my questions?
> Awesome help guys....really. Peace.

Italie already said what's on most people's minds here. Who knows, one day you might come across the missing pieces. But if you butcher it too much there is no going back.

If you don't want to do that, I would try to find a generic cab that already has at least a monitor and joysticks/buttons for two players.

S

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback [Re: SimplyWild]
#259779 - 07/13/11 12:03 AM

> wow, so the only help I get on this forum is people telling me not to do a MAME but
> instead a restoration? People not even looking at the pics or answering my questions?

What the hell did you expect? You seem to understand the whole "it's a classic" cab thing, and from what I read, the fact that we're all anal about the classics. Just because it's empty doesn't make it any less a classic.

That said, nothing in my post discouraged you from MAMEing it. You were given the best advice for your situation, which boils down to "If you are going to MAME it, do it right". I'm no angel either...I've made arcade cabs into dirty things. You don't even want to know what I've done to Dynamo cabinets. At the moment I have a restored Galaga cab running a 25" monitor and a 9 in 1 jamma card. The main point here is that I can have it back to original Galaga status in under 30 minutes.

If cost is a concern, you better re-think the hobby. Restoring it to stock isn't that much more expensive than MAMEing. Doing both, when possible, is AWESOME. It's like having a mint Buick Roadmaster wagon with a 454 under the hood.

As for your questions:

"Do you guys think this is a solid cab for my first time?" Solid, yes. It appears to be a cabinet that is in one piece. Appropriate for you? Who knows. You said nothing of your skillset other than "I can read."

"Will 2 joysticks, 2 buttons, and a trackball fit?" We probably don't know due to the fact that we are anal_purist_pricks who wouldn't hack an Asteroids panel. We'd probably cut a new panel that would mount to existing holes and fit what we wanted to put on it.

If you want better answers than that, ask better questions.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#259955 - 07/14/11 08:50 PM

There's a dev quote of mine that pops up fairly frequently: MAME is a failure at preserving the past if people butcher the past on its behalf.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do the conversion, and if I built a cabinet I'd be tempted to start with an early 80s Atari because to me that is What Cabinets Look Like, but you do want to do it respectfully where possible. (That and I prefer "stealth" MAME cabs for much the same reason I think it'd be hilarious to put a V-12 in a New Beetle).

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: R. Belmont]
#260204 - 07/18/11 08:53 AM

> There's a dev quote of mine that pops up fairly frequently: MAME is a failure at
> preserving the past if people butcher the past on its behalf.

I actually enjoy that quote and respect it very much. The one that pops up on this site is worded like this.

"MAME is a failure at preserving History, if people destroy History in it's name."

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#260243 - 07/19/11 12:35 AM

I think everybody here needs to chill out with the tired original restoration argument. If someone is taking a nice working original cab and gutting it to mame it that's one thing. If this guy buys this wood skeleton cab that happened to be some game a long time ago before someone else gutted it, number 1 it was headed for the dumpster if he didn't buy it and number 2 it's not his burden to spend hundreds of dollars and hours restoring it to a game he probably doesn't even like.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: Smitdogg]
#260262 - 07/19/11 04:02 AM

> I think everybody here needs to chill out with the tired original restoration
> argument. If someone is taking a nice working original cab and gutting it to mame it
> that's one thing. If this guy buys this wood skeleton cab that happened to be some
> game a long time ago before someone else gutted it, number 1 it was headed for the
> dumpster if he didn't buy it and number 2 it's not his burden to spend hundreds of
> dollars and hours restoring it to a game he probably doesn't even like.

Don't you have a cardboard supergun to be playing with?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#260263 - 07/19/11 04:04 AM

Don't you have a hot wife to be playing with?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Picked up an old Asteroids Deluxe cab...feedback new [Re: Smitdogg]
#260264 - 07/19/11 04:20 AM

> Don't you have a hot wife to be playing with?

Not for a few more weeks, no. I'm all yours.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3480