MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Divemaster
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/14/09
Posts: 80
Send PM


Best OS for mame
#261097 - 07/31/11 03:54 AM


Been along time since I posted here.
In your opinion which os is better for mame?
win/xp 64bit or win/7 64bit.
I'm planning on building a dedicated machine and would like to get the most out of it.

thanks



DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Posts: 3988
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Divemaster]
#261098 - 07/31/11 04:03 AM


> Been along time since I posted here.
> In your opinion which os is better for mame?
> win/xp 64bit or win/7 64bit.
> I'm planning on building a dedicated machine and would like to get the most out of
> it.
>
> thanks

Personally, I'd go with Win 7. XP 64-bit was really just a hacked up version of Server 2003, and it was a little rough around the edges. I'm sure you can make it work fine with MAME, but Win 7 will give you fewer headaches overall.



krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Posts: 4235
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Divemaster]
#261104 - 07/31/11 06:01 AM


If you plan on using an arcade monitor, avoid Windows 7.

Windows 7 has some issues with resolution switching from interlaced to non-interlaced and vice versa. There's also a problem with the refresh rates for interlaced resolutions that causes vector games to run at 50% speed. I think this is related to using sync refresh and Windows reporting the wrong refresh rates.

I don't know for sure that Vista has the same issues, but the odds are very likely that it does.

I believe that the current best choice OS for a dedicated MAME cabinet using an arcade monitor is Windows XP x64.

If you're not using an arcade monitor, then Windows 7 x64 is probably the best choice.



GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC



Divemaster
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/14/09
Posts: 80
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: krick]
#261108 - 07/31/11 08:08 AM


Actually, I will be using a 32" vizio flat screen tv. I thought Win/7 would be best but thought I would ask and get some opinions 1st.



R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9690
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Divemaster]
#261231 - 08/01/11 07:56 PM


> Actually, I will be using a 32" vizio flat screen tv. I thought Win/7 would be best
> but thought I would ask and get some opinions 1st.

Using a TV or PC monitor, 64-bit Windows 7 is the best.



GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Posts: 5891
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM


Wasn't someone working on a mame os? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#261824 - 08/09/11 05:28 PM


-nt-







R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Posts: 9690
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM


Re: Wasn't someone working on a mame os? new [Re: GatKong]
#261895 - 08/10/11 04:36 PM


There have been various rumblings about one, but it would be a lot of work (more man-years than MAME itself) for no benefit.



yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Posts: 240
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: DMala]
#262308 - 08/16/11 03:27 AM


I was reconfiguring my arcade cab. I have a Kortek 27" arcade monitor. Win 7 x64 had a few issues with bootup flicker and also entering/exiting the games within the Maximus Arcade frontend displayed some strange graphical anomalies. I switched back to Vista Ulitimate x64...not a single problem.

Haven't tried XP x64, but driver support or lack thereof could be rough.

Thanks,
Jason



Rhetro
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Posts: 307
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: yoeddy]
#383451 - 08/27/19 08:59 PM


Hello all!
It seems like a billion years since my last posting...

It looks like my 15 year old Mame system (in my 4 player cabinet) needs to be overhauled. But first, some back history...

It was a top of the line system when assembled back in 04 and the goal was to have the ultimate Mame system (as well as being able to play all the other home computer emulators that are out there). Well, it has been just that and that's why you haven't heard from me -not that anyone was eagerly awaiting my return.

But ( I digress), it's time to overhaul it. It was an unconnected system (from the internet) running XP. That's starting to BSOD. I have a 27" Wells Gardner monitor that's also had enough. Had a CRT tech come out and try and recondition it, etc. To no avail. I've been hanging on to it because I have a myriad of lightgun games that wouldn't cross over to LCD flatpanel monitors -until now; it looks like there's technology out there that will allow me to play these games on flat panels. I'm going to miss the vibe and smell of CRT but they're just not being supported anymore. In any event it looks like the monitor issue has a positive direction.

My tech fixed the boot sector of the BSODing machine, and asked me what I wanted to do. I told him to hang on while I waited to hear back from you guys. I'm looking to basically pick up where I left off:

A top of the line system that will play all the Mame games, as well as all the other system Emus that are out there. I may try some newer games as an experiment but it's not essential (I had Half Life and Half Life II that ran beautifully on it) but I'm a purist and the old games rule. Period.

So.
Same deal as before; A top of the line system that once configured it will NOT be connected to the internet.
I'm leaning on Windows 7. But my tech says Windows 10. NOTE: He's NOT a Mamer. He told me that 7 will no longer be supported in the very near future. If it's not connected after configured I can't see why this would be a problem -but maybe I'm missing something.

I did do some reading here before posting this and am leaning towards Windows 7. However, I would like to NOT have to mess with any of this again in another...15 years??
I realize I'm coming across as delusional -but I've been called worse. You get the picture.

I'm hoping that I've explained my intentions and greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks for reading.



...Nothing like Green Monochrome



Robbbert
Boomer
Reged: 08/21/04
Posts: 2912
Loc: Land of Oz
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Rhetro]
#383519 - 09/03/19 02:58 AM


>



Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Posts: 1036
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Rhetro]
#383622 - 09/12/19 07:55 AM


> Hello all!
> It seems like a billion years since my last posting...
>
> It looks like my 15 year old Mame system (in my 4 player cabinet) needs to be
> overhauled. But first, some back history...
>
> It was a top of the line system when assembled back in 04 and the goal was to have
> the ultimate Mame system (as well as being able to play all the other home computer
> emulators that are out there). Well, it has been just that and that's why you haven't
> heard from me -not that anyone was eagerly awaiting my return.
>
> But ( I digress), it's time to overhaul it. It was an unconnected system (from the
> internet) running XP. That's starting to BSOD. I have a 27" Wells Gardner monitor
> that's also had enough. Had a CRT tech come out and try and recondition it, etc. To
> no avail. I've been hanging on to it because I have a myriad of lightgun games that
> wouldn't cross over to LCD flatpanel monitors -until now; it looks like there's
> technology out there that will allow me to play these games on flat panels. I'm going
> to miss the vibe and smell of CRT but they're just not being supported anymore. In
> any event it looks like the monitor issue has a positive direction.
>
> My tech fixed the boot sector of the BSODing machine, and asked me what I wanted to
> do. I told him to hang on while I waited to hear back from you guys. I'm looking to
> basically pick up where I left off:
>
> A top of the line system that will play all the Mame games, as well as all the other
> system Emus that are out there. I may try some newer games as an experiment but it's
> not essential (I had Half Life and Half Life II that ran beautifully on it) but I'm a
> purist and the old games rule. Period.
>
> So.
> Same deal as before; A top of the line system that once configured it will NOT be
> connected to the internet.
> I'm leaning on Windows 7. But my tech says Windows 10. NOTE: He's NOT a Mamer. He
> told me that 7 will no longer be supported in the very near future. If it's not
> connected after configured I can't see why this would be a problem -but maybe I'm
> missing something.
>
> I did do some reading here before posting this and am leaning towards Windows 7.
> However, I would like to NOT have to mess with any of this again in another...15
> years??
> I realize I'm coming across as delusional -but I've been called worse. You get the
> picture.
>
> I'm hoping that I've explained my intentions and greatly appreciate any advice.
>
> Thanks for reading.

With the BSODs you're getting (which is almost always from a dying HDD or power supply or dried caps on the board), it's probably the best time to pull the Pentium 4 era board and move to a modern 64-bit system, doing so will also allow you to make use of any new games and emulation fixes MAME has done over the last 15 years (for example, extracting the copy-protected data from Bubble Bobble (and recently, the Taito C-chip games), dumping and emulating the protected sound chips in Toaplan games, encrypted CPS2 games (which no longer need XOR tables), Raiden 2/DX, the Gaelco games with the infamous Dallas DS5002 chip etc. - and one which I still believe deserves a mention, Tekken Tag Tournament).

If it's just set up for MAME only, Linux might even be a viable option if you want something that isn't Windows 7/8/10, IIRC Linux can also drive an arcade monitor, although I don't have any experience with anything like that (the closest I had was plain old AV out to a CRT TV).



Rhetro
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Posts: 307
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#384032 - 10/22/19 06:25 PM


Hey Heihachi 73.

Don't know why I just caught this, but I appreciate the input! Thank you.

I'm having that tech basically rebuild a system from the ground up (same dude that put my original system together 15 years ago); he's not really a Retro gamer like I am so He doesn't really know about the ins and outs of Mame (and all things associate with it). I told him that I'm corresponding with you experts here at the forums before pulling the trigger on purchasing hardware/software. I just heard from him, and he says their may be a concern with Win 7 no longer being supported a month from now. He's sure that Win 10 is the way to go, but I wanted to check with you all here first. It seems that as far was Windows is concerned, Win 7 is the more popular, stable platform that is being used (or so I gather -again I've been out of the loop for a while so I could be WAY off). My old system has XP that lasted 15 years. I'm looking to essentially pick up where I left off. What I'm afraid of is putting Win 10 on there, and running into emulators (not just Mame) not working correctly, where Win 7 has been stable for quite some time. I'm only using Windows because of ease of use. If there is a better OS out there. And a good front end interface that can take the place of windows, I'm all for it. I'm just out of my league with what is currently being used Windows wise. Or the most popular/stable OS that's being used these days.

to add:
I'm looking at swapping out my old Wells Gardner 27" monitor that finally gave out. And Continuing with a flat screen and light guns. So whatever will help out there (software wise)I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks again for helping out!

rhetro



...Nothing like Green Monochrome



Rhetro
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Posts: 307
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Robbbert]
#384033 - 10/23/19 04:30 AM


Hey Robbert.
That's good enough for me to stick with Windows 7. I do want to play other emulators as well as I had a bunch of them on my XP system.

I guess I need to tell him to put an i5 in there since he said that an i7 won't work with Windows 7?

Thanks for all the help!

Rhetro



...Nothing like Green Monochrome



Robbbert
Boomer
Reged: 08/21/04
Posts: 2912
Loc: Land of Oz
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Rhetro]
#384034 - 10/23/19 05:20 AM


>



Rhetro
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Posts: 307
Send PM


Re: Best OS for mame new [Re: Robbbert]
#384041 - 10/23/19 11:18 PM


Hey Robbert.

I will point this out to him:
Win 7 with an i7/2600

As recommended/suggested by the experts.
Thanks again.

Cheers!



...Nothing like Green Monochrome


Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6476