MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

joemagiera
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/08
Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Send PM

getting right joystick to work with Logitech Dual Action?
#265817 - 10/07/11 02:14 AM

I hooked a Logitech Dual Action controller to my PC and started a game of Robotron. Before that, I changed all the controller inputs to joystick. The left joystick works fine for movement, but the right joystick does not work. The controller does fire when I use the 1-2-3-4 buttons, but not the right joystick. Has anyone gotten the right joystick to fire in Robotron using this device? If so, how did you do it? What configuration settings did you use? Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
joemagiera@ameritech.net

PM's turned off. If you want to reach me, direct email please.

joemagiera@ameritech.net

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: getting right joystick to work with Logitech Dual Action? new [Re: joemagiera]
#265831 - 10/07/11 04:00 AM

> I hooked a Logitech Dual Action controller to my PC and started a game of Robotron.
> Before that, I changed all the controller inputs to joystick. The left joystick works
> fine for movement, but the right joystick does not work. The controller does fire
> when I use the 1-2-3-4 buttons, but not the right joystick.

Can you successfully map the right joystick to controls in other games?

S

joemagiera
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/16/08
Loc: Evanston, IL, USA
Send PM

Re: getting right joystick to work with Logitech Dual Action? new [Re: Sune]
#265833 - 10/07/11 04:15 AM

> Can you successfully map the right joystick to controls in other games?

Yikes, you caught me. No idea. I never tried. I don't know how to do it. I've never used MAME with anything other than a mouse and keyboard before and I just picked up this Logitech Dual Action and wanted to try to get it to work. I thought just changing the controls to joystick would be enough. Is there something else that should be done?

PM's turned off. If you want to reach me, direct email please.

joemagiera@ameritech.net

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: getting right joystick to work with Logitech Dual Action? new [Re: joemagiera]
#265836 - 10/07/11 05:04 AM

> > Can you successfully map the right joystick to controls in other games?
>
> Yikes, you caught me. No idea. I never tried. I don't know how to do it. I've never
> used MAME with anything other than a mouse and keyboard before and I just picked up
> this Logitech Dual Action and wanted to try to get it to work. I thought just
> changing the controls to joystick would be enough. Is there something else that
> should be done?

Yeah you have to do some remapping. MAME doesn't automatically know which of the available controls you want to use. By default, the primary joystick (in this case your left thumb stick) is mapped to movement, but because your right thumbstick is not "seen" as a separate joystick (it is probably seen as a Z axis/slider or point of view hat or some crap) MAME doesn't map it to Robotron's right joystick by default.
While Robotron is running, press TAB and enter the "input this game" menu. There you can remap the two joysticks used by Robotron to whatever you want, even your mouse. Don't pause the game while remapping.

If you get it wrong or mess up something, selecting an input and pressing Escape once reverts it to the default mapping, pressing Escape once more sets it to "none".

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3465