MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MrHappy
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/05/10
Send PM

Age old question about dual CPUs
#282578 - 04/14/12 09:18 PM

I've recently come into an old server box that I am considering for use on my mame cab. I've been out of emu for a while and wondered if the multiproc capabilities of mame have changed at all? The specs of the box are as follows:

Two Dual-Core Xeon 3 GHz CPUs
16 GB of RAM
(addon) PCIe Video Card, mid/low range geforce I believe
Sufficient SAS driven disk space.

Obviously the ram and disks are good and the video card has limited benefit in mame but will the dual Xeon's be a good platform for mame these days if I do a custom compile of the exe or should I scrap this and just try to go with a newer i5? (Trying to repurpose and keep things free!) I'm mainly concerned with some of the more power hungry/recent games and their play-ability. Any help/advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Age old question about dual CPUs new [Re: MrHappy]
#282580 - 04/14/12 10:00 PM

I'm betting your server box will do awesome. What's unplayable will be pretty much unplayable regardless what CPU you throw at it.

DrArcade
AKA Mr. CAST
Reged: 03/27/12
Loc: Latin America
Send PM

#282583 - 04/14/12 10:46 PM

The XEON's are very power hungry (Electricity wise). So depending on your location, and depending on many hours per day you care to run them. It may be cheaper in the long run to purchase a lower power cpu.

Mr. CAST

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#282658 - 04/15/12 08:33 PM

> Two Dual-Core Xeon 3 GHz CPUs
> 16 GB of RAM
> (addon) PCIe Video Card, mid/low range geforce I believe
> Sufficient SAS driven disk space.

Exact model numbers would help for the Xeons and the GeForce. Both of those brands cover a wide, wide range of generations and capabilies. 3 GHz means it's at least the P4-based generation (which wouldn't be ideal for MAME but if you don't play 3D games it'd work).

MrHappy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Age old question about dual CPUs new [Re: R. Belmont]
#282673 - 04/15/12 10:51 PM

Sorry, the Xeons are older, 5050 series. (3GHz, Dual Core, 667 FSB) 2 Physical CPUs.

I believe the GeForce is a 7600 or 7900 series. Not terribly new but not total garbage.

Curious if compiling the mame exe for the dual, dual core CPUs is possible and if it would help / what the overall performance would be like.

MrHappy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Age old question about dual CPUs new [Re: DrArcade]
#282674 - 04/15/12 10:53 PM

Yeah, it won't be on 24/7 that's for sure. It's more of a machine for occasional / friends getting together use but I was hoping they'd still be able to play the newer(ish) games that are playable on my i5 that's overclocked.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#282760 - 04/16/12 02:33 PM

> Sorry, the Xeons are older, 5050 series. (3GHz, Dual Core, 667 FSB) 2 Physical CPUs.
>
> I believe the GeForce is a 7600 or 7900 series. Not terribly new but not total
> garbage.
>
> Curious if compiling the mame exe for the dual, dual core CPUs is possible and if it
> would help / what the overall performance would be like.

MAME can use multiple cores out of the box but most drivers don't take advantage, just the really heavy 3D games (we recently enabled multithreading for Time Crisis 2, for instance).

My guess is that MAME will run fine on that system; the big questions are do you intend to play newer 3D games, and do you intend to run the HLSL effects. The former may be too much for the Xeons, the latter will likely be too much for a 7-series GeForce. But if you want to just play the classics and 90s games like CPS-2 and NeoGeo that system should run great for you.

MrHappy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Age old question about dual CPUs new [Re: R. Belmont]
#283027 - 04/17/12 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I will mainly be handling the classics but hoped to put a rig together that would handle all the playable 3D games out to date. (I know some just aren't playable on today's tech at all even with overclocked i7s). I guess if the CPUs could perform on par (or close) with my overclocked i5-2500K/ I'd be plenty happy. If I have to scale back due to the video card it's not a huge deal but I was hoping to not be CPU limited. Guess I can just build it and try, only going to take time at this point. Really appreciate the feedback, it's been so long since I've been up to speed on what is and isn't utilized in MAME I didn't even know the GPUs were being used. Time to do a LOT of reading for me. Thanks again!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#283099 - 04/18/12 04:22 PM

> I guess if the
> CPUs could perform on par (or close) with my overclocked i5-2500K/ I'd be plenty
> happy.

It's not going to perform to that level, but I suspect the number of games that are full speed between it and the 2500K is going to be pretty small. I'd definitely give it a shot with a MAME install and try the stuff you want to play.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4428