View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/10/12
Send PM

controller splicing..
#286502 - 05/15/12 08:40 PM

on my cab i want two handheld controllers wired at all times..sometimes i dont like using the arcade sticks for certain games. would it be possible to remove the end of a ps2 controller and wire my buttons into the buttons on my arcade? i was going to use ps3 cobtrollers but that involves running safe mode and then launching motioninjoy..i wantbtwo controllers that can stay wired and work just as the arcade joysticks and buttons..somebody help me ouy

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: controller splicing.. new [Re: frznsldr]
#286504 - 05/15/12 08:48 PM

> on my cab i want two handheld controllers wired at all times..sometimes i dont like
> using the arcade sticks for certain games. would it be possible to remove the end of
> a ps2 controller and wire my buttons into the buttons on my arcade? i was going to
> use ps3 cobtrollers but that involves running safe mode and then launching
> motioninjoy..i wantbtwo controllers that can stay wired and work just as the arcade
> joysticks and buttons..somebody help me ouy

Just use two regular USB gamepads (or an adapter for your dualshocks) you don't have to splice anything. You can map the same controls to multiple devices in MAME.

S

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: controller splicing.. new [Re: Sune]
#286509 - 05/15/12 09:52 PM

do i have to run a special program or turn off drivers everytime i boot up the pc? im skipling the windows startup menu and going directly into a fro t end so i need them to work upon startup. is there a certain controller u wud reccomend? im using windows7 64bit.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#286517 - 05/15/12 11:48 PM

you can use ps2 dualshock2 controllers and an adapter such as:

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: controller splicing.. new [Re: grog]
#286520 - 05/16/12 12:15 AM

sweet so no having to load or configure them upon startup?

grog
Send PM

#286524 - 05/16/12 01:31 AM

the one i use just works as soon as it is plugged in. no need for drivers, setting up, configuring, or anything (in windows xp)

i use this below, however they are hard to find now but hopefully all the ps2 to usb adapters work the same. they are also very cheap so i recommend you go for it, u should be fine... just buy any, making sure it is plug and play (i expect they all are).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-PlayStation-Controller-Adapter-PC/dp/B0009J1JAW

eg.... below: this should be fine (read the customer reviews), theres lots to choose from anyway, just look around the internet, ebay etc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS2-CONTROLLER-USB-ADAPTER-Playstation/dp/B004YNIOL6

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#286539 - 05/16/12 05:33 AM

> sweet so no having to load or configure them upon startup?

No, you only have to map the controls once. And leave the gamepads plugged in.

S

frznsldr
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: controller splicing.. new [Re: grog]
#286604 - 05/16/12 07:03 PM

im going to try it but i think with windows7 64 bit im going to have issues. its setup to not work with sony and microsoft products..i have to hit f8 upon every startup and configure my ps3 controller everytime and i think ps1 and ps2 controllers will b the same way

grog
Send PM

#286606 - 05/16/12 07:31 PM

> im going to try it but i think with windows7 64 bit im going to have issues. its
> setup to not work with sony and microsoft products..i have to hit f8 upon every
> startup and configure my ps3 controller everytime and i think ps1 and ps2 controllers
> will b the same way

as long as u didnt do something strange to your windows setup u should be fine, as someone has stated in a review below:

"I bought this to replace my very very old usb psx adapter that does not work on win7, wasnt sure this would work but I can confirm this converter works on windows 7 64bit.
Ive tried it with PS1 games running on the PC and normal PC games, it works great, didnt even need to put the CD driver in, just plugged it in and away I went.
For the price you cant argue, I rarely write reviews, but this product could do with some more, as it does the job.
So if youre on the fence about getting this and have win7 64, you will be fine, of course it will work if you have an older version of windows, tried it on my other laptop running xp."

(... taken from a review here:)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PS2-CONTROLLER-USB-ADAPTER-Playstation/dp/B004YNIOL6

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#286629 - 05/16/12 09:56 PM

> i have to hit f8 upon every
> startup and configure my ps3 controller everytime and i think ps1 and ps2 controllers
> will b the same way

No, don't worry about that. PS1 and 2 controllers connect via an adapter. The adapter makes all the difference.

Make sure you get a PSX controller to USB adapter that works right away when you plug it in - one that doesn't need drivers in order to work.

If there is a driver CD, and if the driver is required for the adapter to work, make sure to double check that the driver works on 64-bit Windows.

The ones that don't require drivers will work with all versions of Windows.

Normally the ones that require you to install a driver (ie they come with a CD) will either not work at all on 64-bit Windows, or, if you're lucky, the driver is only for "rumble" support, which you won't need anyway if you're going to use it with MAME.

I have two PSX-USB adapters here that are basically useless junk because there are no 64-bit drivers for them. Ironically the oldest one I have still works perfectly because it doesn't require a driver.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3788