View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

stoopid newbie
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/05/07
Send PM

Cocktail Jamma to mame help would be appreciated
#287829 - 05/25/12 06:33 PM

Hi all i have a 2 player cocktail cabinet thats running a 60 in 1 pcb but it doesnt have all the games I want to play so im converting it to MAME.

The cabinet has a small lcd tv screen installed and NOT the old vga one.

I have just purchased this item from the USA:

PC to Jamma Converter adapter Arcade MAME Multicade:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120847093112?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The seller assured me it would do what I need it to do IE plug into tv and pc etc
IT WONT PLUG INTO THE LCD TV? what do i do??

YOUR HELP!

I need some basic info from all you knowlagable peeps on this forum such as

1: I will be using possibly a dell optiplex small form a pc with windows xp inside the cab to rum mame frontend and roms etc so will I have to remove the lcd tv and fit a computer flat monitor?

Any help will be graciously appreciated

If you need any more information please ask

Thanks for taking the time to read all the above
P

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Cocktail Jamma to mame help would be appreciated new [Re: stoopid newbie]
#287852 - 05/25/12 08:00 PM

ok so u need to determine what inputs are available on the lcd tv, and then determine if its possible to use the jamma adapter u purchased with the lcd tv (it looks like u need a tv or monitor which can accept 15pin VGA input). im guessing your lcd tv doesnt support VGA input then?

in which case u are left with the option of either using some device inbetween the jamma adapter and your lcd tv to convert 15pin vga to rgb scart (assuming your lcd tv supports rgb scart, i assume it does?) .. well, im not sure i would recommend going down this road anyway

so another option: replace the lcd tv with anything you like, as long as it supports vga 15pin input

ps. regarding mame, i recommend using mameuifx which is targeted towards arcade cab/table users. it's great! (no frontend necesssary)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

ideas (edited) new [Re: stoopid newbie]
#287863 - 05/25/12 10:51 PM

> The seller assured me it would do what I need it to do IE plug into tv and pc etc
> IT WONT PLUG INTO THE LCD TV? what do i do??

Of course not..you're not thinking this through.

If there's an LCD TV in your cab, just plug it into the video card on the computer like you normally would - you don't need any kind of signal conversion for that. Use HDMI, DVI, DVI to HDMI, component, whatever is available. If it helps, just pretend that it's a regular PC monitor.

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the converter thing you bought is for use with a real 15Khz arcade monitor connected to a JAMMA harness. You'd unplug the game PCB and plug in the converter, then connect it to your PC. The VGA plug on the thing plugs into your video card, supposedly the circuit board converts the VGA signal to 15KHz arcade monitor RGB.

I can't say anything about the rest (controls) because I can't tell from the photo how it's supposed to work, it looks like a DB25 parallel port plug but I don't understand how you go from there, there must be some software involved as well?

S

grog
Send PM

Re: Cocktail Jamma to mame help would be appreciated new [Re: Sune]
#287873 - 05/26/12 12:48 AM

looking at that jamma convertor thing again, it looks like the arcade controls are expected to go into the PC via the very old style 25pin port (ie. serial or parallel port thing, i cant remember).. anyway, that's way out of date.

its a shame you didnt know about the JPAC, thats what u would have wanted:
http://www.ultimarc.com/jpac.html
... however, Sune makes sense by saying that if u dont plan to use an arcade monitor or old style crt tv, then u are better off purchasing any pc monitor/lcd tv/etc which accepts eg. 15pin vga input, and then use one of these below to take care of your cocktail table controls:
http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

myclone
Send PM

#287906 - 05/26/12 11:15 AM Attachment: PC2JAMMA.zip 38 KB (7 downloads)

heres the instructions for the pc to jamma board, only works for dos.
sune is right, this adapter is ment to run on an arcade monitor
good luck i couldn't get mine to work and chucked it.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Cocktail Jamma to mame help would be appreciated new [Re: grog]
#287939 - 05/26/12 11:06 PM

> so another option: replace the lcd tv with anything you like, as long as it supports
> vga 15pin input

I think you got it wrong, the converter he got plugs into a PC and the arcade cab's JAMMA harness. The 15 pin plug goes in the PC video card - not an arcade monitor. The arcade monitor is already connected to the JAMMA harness.

If it works the way I think it does, the converter sort of turns a regular PC into a JAMMA PCB, as far as the arcade cab is concerned.

S

grog
Send PM

#287960 - 05/27/12 02:30 AM

> I think you got it wrong, the converter he got plugs into a PC and the arcade cab's
> JAMMA harness

oh yea i just checked the docs i see how it works now

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#287980 - 05/27/12 06:37 AM

From looking at it for 5 seconds (could be wrong) that looks like it's PC to Jamma. So the VGA from a PC goes to that card, that card goes to Jamma harness like this:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/jamma-full-cabinet-wiring-harness-loom-jamma-h1.html

The video section of that harness plugs into this:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-ega-yuv-to-vga-arcade-hd-converter-pcb-gbs-8220-gbs-8220.html

Or this:
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/rgb-to-ntsc-pal-tv-converter-pcb-cv-04.html

Then the output of either of those (VGA or S-Video) goes into your LCD.

*jammaboards sells some bullshit but it's the easiest way to explain this crap

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Cocktail Jamma to mame help would be appreciated new [Re: myclone]
#287981 - 05/27/12 06:37 AM

> heres the instructions for the pc to jamma board, only works for dos.

That's too bad, that means you can't use neither modern hardware nor modern MAME with it.

To the OP: If this is the case then you're going to be in trouble, very few people remember how to use and configure DOS MAME anymore, it'll be difficult to get help with setting it up. You'll also need an old set of ROMs.

Sound under DOS is an issue, you will not be able to use any modern sound card or your on-board sound, you'll need an old PCI sound card that has DOS drivers.
A Sound Blaster 128 PCI would work, or one of the other late, Ensoniq-based PCI Sound Blaster models.
Avoid the Sound Blaster Live, its DOS Sound Blaster "emulation" didn't work well with DOS MAME.

S

stoopid newbie
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289475 - 06/14/12 12:56 PM

Ok the LCD screen thats in the cabinet is a TV the only input it has is the same male cable connector thats on a pc monitor and no others

the card I brought has the same male connector on it

Is it easier to buy another 15 inch flat pc monitor and put it in the cabinet so I can use the card isnt it?

I wonder what other problems im going to encounter then?

I still need to buy a small form pc to run mame etc

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#289484 - 06/14/12 02:41 PM Attachment: vga.jpg 31 KB (1 downloads)

> the only input it has is the same male cable connector thats on a pc monitor

A PC monitor would have a female plug on it, not male.

> the card I brought has the same male connector on it

Male? It should be female.

Standard VGA cable with male plugs:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

stoopid newbie
MAME Fan
Send PM

#289486 - 06/14/12 03:02 PM

Yes the ard and the lcd tv both have male ends??

grog
Send PM

#289487 - 06/14/12 03:18 PM

> Yes the [c]ard and the lcd tv both have male ends??

you would need male ends on the ends of each side of the vga cable yea

some advice for you is, there is a lot to making a mame cab or cocktail table from the initial planning stages to the construction/assembling etc, and the various hardware/software setup and challenges along the way... but dont let the project overwhelm you. when i built a mame cocktail table many years ago i had a lot of fun with it. i certainly made my mistakes along the way and looking back there were things i could have done better, but it was a learning experience and an adventure

so my advice is try to plan and prepare everything before you proceed with buying parts and building/setting up.. but if you cant do that, just get stuck in, take it a step at a time, use the internet for help and learning etc

here is a good forum for help, if you are not aware of this forum already:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Cocktail Jamma to mame help would be appreciated new [Re: grog]
#289492 - 06/14/12 04:02 PM

> > Yes the [c]ard and the lcd tv both have male ends??
>
> you would need male ends on the ends of each side of the vga cable yea

No..he just wrote that the plugs on his equipment are male (which is weird). A standard, male-male VGA cable will be useless to him.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4704