Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

hard drive back-up help needed...
#303147 - 01/24/13 06:59 AM

Recently got a GTF cab in great shape. I wanted to back up the HD before I mess it up screwin' around with it. Should be easy I thought. It's an 8 gig WD w/1 .50 & 1 7.5 gig partitions. Windows sees the drive just fine but won't assign it a drive letter. Tried to assign it one under storage + disk management, no go. I've got a bunch of reasons why it won't let me do it but it's a lot quicker to contact the hive for the right answer, right away.

TIA...

Edited by Bad A Billy (01/24/13 07:00 AM)

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: hard drive back-up help needed... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#303166 - 01/24/13 12:41 PM

> Recently got a GTF cab in great shape. I wanted to back up the HD before I mess it up
> screwin' around with it. Should be easy I thought. It's an 8 gig WD w/1 .50 & 1 7.5
> gig partitions. Windows sees the drive just fine but won't assign it a drive letter.
> Tried to assign it one under storage + disk management, no go. I've got a bunch of
> reasons why it won't let me do it but it's a lot quicker to contact the hive for the
> right answer, right away.
>
> TIA...

Usually that's some type of partition error or i/o error. Have you connected it directly to your motherboard and done a full restart? I'd recomend that so you don't get wierd glitches. Otherwsie just do a raw backup of it I'd say.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: hard drive back-up help needed...more info new [Re: Naoki]
#303168 - 01/24/13 03:55 PM

I can't do the raw backup because it won't recognize it to the point where it sees sees it. It just says that it's there under device manager-disk drives-volumes-populate. Beyond that I can't access it. I'll try your suggestion tonight or tomorrow when I get the time to rip a PC apart to get into it that far. I've never had any trouble swapping drives out like this before so I thought(hoped) it might be easy.

Thanks...

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: hard drive back-up help needed...more info new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#303190 - 01/24/13 10:15 PM

> I can't do the raw backup because it won't recognize it to the point where it sees
> sees it.

That's expected. Windows doesn't know what to do with it because it uses a file system or partition type that it doesn't understand.

I typed chdman raw backup into google and this came up, maybe it'll be useful to you:

http://www.thekillerinstinctproject.com/kiproject/chdman.html

S

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: hard drive back-up help needed...more info new [Re: Sune]
#303267 - 01/26/13 03:14 AM

That helped. I tried it on another PC and it worked fine. That site is also a great step by step guide. Hard to mess anything up with the list of directions right in front of you!
Still can't figure out what the problem with this PC is though. Time for an OS refresh/upgrade.

Thanks again guys...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2712