MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/13
Send PM

Is the XBOX 360 PC USB pad a good choice for mame ?
#311410 - 07/12/13 05:37 AM

How's the D-pad for SF/KOF fireballs/dragon punches. I've played a 360 console before and thought the D-PAD was not bad at all. Not as good the Sony pad but good enough. I've never been a fan a sticks. I like using pads with mame. I had a usb to ps2 adapter before but it broke.

I don't want to get another adapter either. Please suggest a USB pad if their is a better one than the 360 pc version one, thanks

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Is the XBOX 360 PC USB pad a good choice for mame ? new [Re: MKFAN]
#311412 - 07/12/13 06:56 AM

> How's the D-pad for SF/KOF fireballs/dragon punches. I've played a 360 console before
> and thought the D-PAD was not bad at all. Not as good the Sony pad but good enough.
> I've never been a fan a sticks. I like using pads with mame. I had a usb to ps2
> adapter before but it broke.
>
> I don't want to get another adapter either. Please suggest a USB pad if their is a
> better one than the 360 pc version one, thanks

I have two and the D-pads on both are atrocious. If you don't press them just right, they sometimes won't register the press. They also have a tendency to roll to the diagonals if you're holding down a direction. If you Google around, you can find instructions for modding them with a Dremel tool and a plastic container lid to make them a lot better, but the out of the box experience is pretty bad, especially for classic games that rely on the D-pad as a primary input.

I've always been a fan of Logitech gamepads. I've had a Logitech Precision for years that still works great. I think I paid about $5 for it, brand new.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Is the XBOX 360 PC USB pad a good choice for mame ? new [Re: DMala]
#311413 - 07/12/13 08:32 AM

> I have two and the D-pads on both are atrocious. If you don't press them just right,
> they sometimes won't register the press. They also have a tendency to roll to the
> diagonals if you're holding down a direction. If you Google around, you can find
> instructions for modding them with a Dremel tool and a plastic container lid to make
> them a lot better, but the out of the box experience is pretty bad, especially for
> classic games that rely on the D-pad as a primary input.

+1, same experience here. The d-pad is only good for selecting stuff in modern games or whatever. Unless you enjoy having fits of nerdrage, it's completely useless as primary control in, well, anything. I tried modding one of mine but I couldn't get it right.

S

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is the XBOX 360 PC USB pad a good choice for mame ? new [Re: Sune]
#311426 - 07/12/13 04:07 PM

in that case was thinking of getting this pad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104402

it's the Logitech F310 the D-pad seems better.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

#311427 - 07/12/13 04:41 PM

i think i remember someone here saying he couldnt use two of those F310 pads at the same time in mame, so keep that in mind if planning to purchase more than one

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#311430 - 07/12/13 05:09 PM

> it's the Logitech F310 the D-pad seems better.

From a review of the F310:

"However, the pad is only $25, and I have to admit that you get what you pay for. By far my biggest gripe is the d-pad. Being that it’s a “floating” d-pad, where it’s just one circular piece with raised perpendiculars on it for up, down, left, and right, it’s very easy to accidentally catch a direction you didn’t intend to input. In a lot of games, this means I’m accidentally crouching all the time. Once you accidentally catch one of these directions, you have to completely let up on the direction before it will stop registering, meaning that I have to put forth a decent effort to ensure I’m no longer in any way hitting “down” before my character will stop crouching. I’m sure part of that is the fault of the emulator, but it’s irritating regardless and the pad seems to exacerbate the problem."

Looks like it suffers from the same issue as the 360 controller.

S

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is the XBOX 360 PC USB pad a good choice for mame ? new [Re: grog]
#311432 - 07/12/13 05:36 PM

oh well ok thanks. Well where can I buy another PS2 usb adapter then ?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#311458 - 07/12/13 11:47 PM

I use this

Can use a N64 or PS1/PS2 gamepad and it works great.

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Is the XBOX 360 PC USB pad a good choice for mame ? new [Re: B2K24]
#311503 - 07/14/13 06:36 PM

Whats the name who make it and where to buy ?

UPADATE:

I found this on amazon seems like it's good

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Contro...lshock+2+to+usb

They also have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DU2...;pf_rd_i=507846

What do you think of these ?

Edited by MKFAN (07/14/13 11:10 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2726