Pages: 1

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

Guided Missile new
#330125 - 08/19/14 04:34 AM

Wow! Any chance an artwork package is in development for this one? Beautiful game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4cLscUr5wY

Also it seems like the sounds in the machine are really different than what is in MAME. The MAME version sounds like sounds from Space Invaders. I'm guessing this is a complex piece of hardware.

Thanks,
Jason

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: yoeddy]
#330130 - 08/19/14 05:24 AM

>Any chance an artwork package is in development for this one? Beautiful game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4cLscUr5wY

Money and dedication is what is needed and the numbers of contributors isn't what it used to be compared to years earlier. You'd have to find someone willing to contribute money towards buying a background piece from a "parted" Guided Missile cab. And then hope someone can do the blacklight photograph for image just like what was done for Warlords years earlier. There has not been anything done artwork wise for Guided Missile iirc.

With a Qwak piece acquired for future scanning, it will be progress towards preserving Qwak although a Qwak pcb is still needed so proms can be dumped and game then can hopefully be emulated.

>Also it seems like the sounds in the machine are really different than what is in MAME.
>The MAME version sounds like sounds from Space Invaders. I'm guessing this is a complex
>piece of hardware.

SI samples were thrown in just to get game to produce any sounds. Derrick Renaud was mailed Guided Missile logic schematics for audio work years earlier, but he didn't have time to work on them. The various paperwork, including Guided Missile, were mailed back to me so I have Guided Missile logic schematics once again.

Guided Missile likely has a few different components than SI, and different discrete circuitry arrangement therefore the various audio output sound effects will be different than what SI sound outputs.

With discrete portion of MAME being transformed to net_list format, it may be a while before there are audio updates to Midway 8080 hardware.

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: gregf]
#330178 - 08/20/14 04:42 AM

I think some of that may be because it has become a lot harder to know how to donate to the project. I used to donate as often as I could (And almost always when a post went up about rare games), but since the whole tax incident happened I haven't seen any links to donate.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, or if there's more out there, but I'd like to donate and just don't know how to do it anymore.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Rygar9]
#330179 - 08/20/14 04:47 AM

I moved the donations/treasurer position to BrianT. The link has been in the sticky post on the news board since forever. I'm guessing people aren't as quick to donate to him because he rarely posts and doesn't have a credits page, but he will credit donators in the mame whatsnew with what he buys if you donate.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Smitdogg]
#330189 - 08/20/14 06:03 AM

>I'm guessing people aren't as quick to donate to him because he rarely posts

I miss the DU posts that are like the "Teddy Roosevelt era Rough Riders charging up the hill" moments in order to win an auction of a hard-to-find pcb so it can be preserved.

Memorable years with Mr. Goodwraith making announcements on old MAME.net forums of auction announcements and urgent donation requests and you doing same thing here on MAMEWorld forums. It's too bad no exact tally because it would have to be a considerable amount of auction wins when combing Mr. Goodwraith and your efforts over the years.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Rygar9]
#330191 - 08/20/14 06:23 AM

>since the whole tax incident happened

Ironic with that being able to put a sizeable dent or delay on group involvement projects including emulation preservation and various other forms of preservation projects.

iirc some USA based film preservation project group also had to be curtailed because of similar tax penalties being assessed against the group because of the notion that some office location is making money off of donations with purchases of digital equipment being used to process and treat film reels or even film reels themselves.

It was from a post on Democratic Underground web site with a link to a magazine or newspaper article. This was a few years ago so I am not sure if I'll be able to find the post nor the link to the article. I don't remember if it was from a magazine or a newspaper.

blinddog
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/14
Loc: Washington
Send PM

#330196 - 08/20/14 09:33 AM Attachment: IMG_1955.JPG 7363 KB (10 downloads)

I was going to see if this helps. I took a picture of the background in my cab. I tried to get a good picture of it.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: blinddog]
#330198 - 08/20/14 09:48 AM

> I was going to see if this helps. I took a picture of the background in my cab. I
> tried to get a good picture of it.

Thanks for sharing this.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#330199 - 08/20/14 10:11 AM

> I was going to see if this helps. I took a picture of the background in my cab. I

Outstanding!!! This should push me to get going again.

Any chance you could take pics of two more things?

1. The explosion graphic from the back of the cabinet. (It can be made to work; see Sea Wolf).
2. Blue Shark backdrop

Appreciate the help!!!

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

#330202 - 08/20/14 02:37 PM

You did a great job with that picture sir. Would you mind telling us which technique you have used to take such a sharp picture without ambient lights and flash? It that a professional camera?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#330214 - 08/20/14 05:58 PM

That's much better than a good picture. Wow!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#330219 - 08/20/14 07:24 PM

>I was going to see if this helps. I took a picture of the background in my cab. I tried
>to get a good picture of it.

I had time to see video finally. Good work as usual making video and also same with photo as well. The cab when shipped back then off assembly line does have an artwork decal at the base below the coin door slot.

I had to refresh my memory and look at Guided Missile parts catalog to see it uses 1 scenery backpiece along with a left interior side piece and a right interior side piece to form the entire visual backdrop appearance.

The interior scenery photo image is definitely a great start to improving Guided Missile.
To join in with others that posted earlier, thanks for doing this.

The parts catalog lists the card that provides the visual explosion effects for left and right players as a "explosion buytrate" (part no. 0623-00909-00SC). It is held in place by two bottom screws. It might be possible to carefully remove and use a flatbed scanner to scan the "explosion buytrate", but maybe get by with a digital camera capture without having to disassemble the piece.

If any dedicated, hardcore Guided Missile fan is a perfectionist and wants visual explosion effects to be perfect then keep an eye out for spare parts auctions on ebay and maybe the explosion buytrate card might turn up as an auction listing and if getting the piece, then scan piece through flatbed scanner. I have doubts if the visual explosion effect will be possible to create in the artwork layout at this time. Just getting the background scenery itself is a terrific start.

The discrete audio emulation is eventually possible if Guided Missile logic schematics is online. If it isn't online yet, I do have Guided Missile logic schematics myself because I sent it to Derrick to do analog audio work, but he no longer had time and mailed the paperwork back to me.

blinddog
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330220 - 08/20/14 08:06 PM

Your welcome and I happy to hear it will help

@Mr. Do - When I get home tonight I'll work on taking a picture of Blue Shark and the explosion graphic. I may try and scan it as gregf suggested. It is no longer flat. Maybe it never was so I will see how that turns out.

@ Roger Coltrane - I guess the camera did the work. My camera wasn't giving me a good result so I borrowed a camera from a friend of mine. It's a Cannon EOS Rebel T3i. I don't know to much about it but it seems nice. As for lighting I turned off all the lights and just had the white black light in the cabinet shine on it.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#330224 - 08/20/14 09:14 PM

>I may try and scan it as gregf suggusted. It is no longer flat. Maybe it never once so i
>will seee how that turns out.

If the "explosion buytrate" piece is no longer flat (warped over the years of usage), no need to remove that for scanning, but if you can take a very closeup digital photo of the piece thanks. Think of it as wanted poster image that a piece might need to be tracked down later. ;-)

I hate thinking that cabs are torn apart, but some cabs eventually become no longer fully restoreable and are parted. Maybe an opportunity for someone to pick a "explosion buytrate" piece (Guided Missile cab) sometime in the future in case a piece can be handled with scanning in a flatbed scanner.

I have doubts if the explosion visual effect can be done, but it will make for a challenge. As before, with the background scenery itself, that really helps out.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#330229 - 08/20/14 10:16 PM Attachment: timepltc.png 439 KB (1 downloads)

Beautiful machine thanks for your contribution.

I'm trying to contribute better photos of cabinet images for MAME. See below.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Can you take a few pictures of your cabinet? Actually all your cabinets if you don't mind. Quality images are hard to find. I would love pictures of the full side art (straight on), control panel. Full cabinet shots....straight on and most importantly one eye level slightly angled as in example attached.

I remember harassing you for photos of your Pin Pong cabinet (they were great btw). If you should ever pull Pin Pong out again please get an angled shot also

Is it possible to capture samples?

If your too busy or don't want to I understand....no offense taken.

Your video just shows exactly how much more the artwork enhances the whole experience.

Nice taste in your collection

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Antny]
#330230 - 08/20/14 10:25 PM Attachment: tank - coctail.png 402 KB (0 downloads)

Here's how I'm adding table tops. Something like this..........no rush at all

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Antny (08/20/14 11:07 PM)

Rygar9
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/08
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Smitdogg]
#330240 - 08/21/14 12:17 AM

Thank you!

I never realized it was there, I never go directly to the news board, my interactions with it are just going to some specific thread linked to a news post on the home page.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Mr. Do]
#330292 - 08/21/14 05:17 PM

> > I was going to see if this helps. I took a picture of the background in my cab. I
> > tried to get a good picture of it.
>
>
> Outstanding!!! This should push me to get going again.
>
> Any chance you could take pics of two more things?
>
> 1. The explosion graphic from the back of the cabinet. (It can be made to work; see
> Sea Wolf).
> 2. Blue Shark backdrop
>
> Appreciate the help!!!

Awesome finds! I love these lower tech 70s games. Look forward to seeing what comes of this!

blinddog
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330301 - 08/21/14 11:25 PM Attachment: explosion.jpg 2623 KB (4 downloads)

I didn't get to blue shark but here's the explosion. It looks like it picked up some fingerprints and it was a little bigger than 11x17 so I did some stitching. this is shown through the back on the background so it comes out a bit subdued and the colors are a bit paler in the actual game. Not sure how that's going to work in MAME but here's the file.

Attachment

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

#330303 - 08/22/14 12:15 AM

Very nice thank you. Should be no problem to clean up to use in MAME.

yoeddy
Sound perfectionist
Reged: 12/27/03
Loc: Boise, Idaho
Send PM

#330308 - 08/22/14 02:17 AM

WOW! Glad I posted this one up! So awesome to see threads like this.

Jason

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Indeed :) *NT* new [Re: yoeddy]
#330310 - 08/22/14 03:46 AM

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

#330519 - 08/24/14 08:29 PM Attachment: 0001.jpg 35 KB (3 downloads)

> > I was going to see if this helps. I took a picture of the background in my cab. I
> > tried to get a good picture of it.
>
>
> Outstanding!!! This should push me to get going again.
>
> Any chance you could take pics of two more things?
>
> 1. The explosion graphic from the back of the cabinet. (It can be made to work; see
> Sea Wolf).
> 2. Blue Shark backdrop
>
> Appreciate the help!!!

This is awesome. I've already got a LAY file working, but I can't find a decent bezel picture (I had to piece one together from a cropped "marquee" pic and control panel pic which has the lower part of the bezel). Does anyone have a good photo (or scan) of the bezel?

Mr. Do, in reference to #2, have you seen this thread? this thread?

Also, can we move this thread to the artwork section?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

#330524 - 08/24/14 09:21 PM Attachment: 0005.jpg 36 KB (0 downloads)

> I didn't get to blue shark but here's the explosion. It looks like it picked up some
> fingerprints and it was a little bigger than 11x17 so I did some stitching. this is
> shown through the back on the background so it comes out a bit subdued and the colors
> are a bit paler in the actual game. Not sure how that's going to work in MAME but
> here's the file.

Nice work. I added them to my LAY file and this is what it looks like. I had to set defstate=1 to force them both on. Since Guided Missile uses the same MAME driver as Sea Wolf (MW8080BW) I was hoping the lamps would use the same signals as the lamps in Sea Wolf but no such luck (I tried them all). I'm guessing the driver needs to be modified to add support for the lamps?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Comboman]
#330529 - 08/24/14 10:04 PM

the output tags are
L_EXP_LIGHT
R_EXP_LIGHT

Comboman
Send PM

Guided Missile (working!) [Re: hap]
#330530 - 08/24/14 10:20 PM Attachment: 0009.jpg 35 KB (0 downloads)

> the output tags are
> L_EXP_LIGHT
> R_EXP_LIGHT

Thanks Hap. It works great. The lamp pulses are a little short, I guess the game designers were relying on the afterglow of the incandescent bulbs as slowly turned off to provide the slow fade-out of the explosions.

Still it looks pretty good. I lowered the alpha settings on the explosions so they look a bit more like they're behind the backdrop. I'll post the full file for everyone to try out until we can find a better bezel pic.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Comboman (08/24/14 10:23 PM)

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (working!) new [Re: Comboman]
#330531 - 08/24/14 10:29 PM Attachment: gmissile.ZIP 9187 KB (22 downloads)

Here's the full file for people to try. Let me know what needs to be changed.

EDIT: I replaced the 42MB monster with a more manageable 9MB (don't worry, you won't see the difference even with a 4K display). I also fixed up the explosions a bit.

Edited by Comboman (08/25/14 12:00 AM)

chall
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/14
Send PM

#330532 - 08/24/14 10:29 PM

Could you post your lay file to test? Thanks.

OOps, I see you just posted it. Thanks.

Edited by chall (08/24/14 10:31 PM)

blinddog
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile new [Re: Comboman]
#330533 - 08/24/14 10:50 PM Attachment: IMG_1969.JPG 8932 KB (10 downloads)

Here is a picture I took of the bezel.

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (working!) new [Re: chall]
#330534 - 08/24/14 10:55 PM

I just noticed how huge it is (42MB)! I'll reduce the resolution of the elements and repost latter.

Comboman
Send PM

#330539 - 08/25/14 01:14 AM

Thanks blinddog. Mighty nice of you to open up your machine for us. Hope it goes back together OK.

Comboman
Send PM

#330546 - 08/25/14 02:09 AM Attachment: Untitled.jpg 161 KB (3 downloads)

Here's the update with blinddog's bezel.

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

#330547 - 08/25/14 02:15 AM Attachment: gmissile.ZIP 11239 KB (31 downloads)

Posting the updated files.

Dullaron
Send PM

#330553 - 08/25/14 02:54 AM

> Posting the updated files.

I watch the video here.

Bright blast is when the target is hit. Light blast when the target is missed. Sometimes the missed doesn't light up at all.

Look good so far. Missing sounds on MAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (working!) new [Re: Dullaron]
#330556 - 08/25/14 03:35 AM

>Bright blast is when the target is hit. Light blast when the target is missed. Sometimes
>the missed doesn't light up at all.

I am not sure if the 'explosion buytrate' piece is supposed to light up when a target is missed....maybe it is supposed to (need to review on hand logic schematics). Guided Missile is one of the games I played once or twice at most back in late 1970s because it was a game that didn't catch my interest then. So I wouldn't remember gameplay details.

>Missing sounds on MAME.

Eventually in due time. This was one that was sent too late to Derrick Renaud when Derrick was in process of moving from MAME on to other interests. Guided Missile game logic schematics should be online and I also bought one myself.

Have to cross fingers that couriersud will return again and do more net_list based audio components emulation in order for work to be even possible with any of the Midway 8080 hardware games.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#330558 - 08/25/14 04:01 AM

>> the output tags are
>> L_EXP_LIGHT
>> R_EXP_LIGHT

>Thanks Hap. It works great. The lamp pulses are a little short, I guess the game
>designers were relying on the afterglow of the incandescent bulbs as slowly turned off
>to provide the slow fade-out of the explosions.

>Still it looks pretty good. I lowered the alpha settings on the explosions so they look
>a bit more like they're behind the backdrop.

Good work on getting back drop piece aligned with game.

I wish it were possible to further dim the farthest bit pieces of the explosion images (from explosion buytrate piece), but then that wouldn't be preserving the scans of the "explosion buytrate" component so it probably is better to leave it as it is.

Comparing blinddog's great Guided Missile videoclip versus how it is emulated, it appears the outer edges aren't really visible when viewing the videoclip and that would likely be that the lamp piece isn't fully illuminating the outer edges. Maybe the outer edges are visible when playing the game in person, but they don't seem to be when watching videoclip. I guess this part should be mentioned if not documented in MAME source code or at least documented on any of the various info sites so information doesn't fade away over time.

Capturing the explosion effect to be almost as if playing the game from an actual Guided Missile cab was next to impossible imo. I didn't have high hopes for that, but it is better than what it used to be with thanks to blinddog's great work as well.

>I'll post the full file for everyone to try out until we can find a better bezel pic.

As for Guided Missile bezel, it would be great if it could be vectorized, but that is intensive work itself. A bezel really needs to be given the flatbed scan treatment in order for there to be any chance of vectorizing the bezel piece. That's why various bezel pieces were purchased over the years and scanned.

If there is some way to get a different Guided Missile bezel output in which the backlit lamps of the bezel stand out, that too would be great. That would be two different bezel images of Guided Missile: one that is viewed with all images viewable (as if seeing it in daylight) and the alternate would be where portions of bezel is viewable, but with backlit lamps standing out illuminating portions of bezel in a dim lit manner.

Edited by gregf (08/25/14 04:27 AM)

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

#330561 - 08/25/14 04:24 AM

Thank You

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (working!) new [Re: gregf]
#330563 - 08/25/14 04:51 AM

Does MAME still support samples for unemulated sound hardware? It might be possible to isolate the various sound elements from the video.

jibmums
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/24/09
Send PM

#330565 - 08/25/14 05:00 AM

I don't know if these photos will be any help, but there's a G.M. on Dragon's Lair Fans Forum -
http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=5639.0

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#330566 - 08/25/14 05:21 AM

> Does MAME still support samples for unemulated sound hardware? It might be possible
> to isolate the various sound elements from the video.

Yes, MAME still supports samples. However, in general we prefer to use the "discrete sound" subsystem within MAME now to document and simulate the actual circuitry involved. couriersud worked feverishly (for a while at least) to reduce the system's performance hit and to lower the bar necessary to use it to mere mortals (or at least mere devs ) But I don't think anyone would actively deny the application of a patch that could add sample support to a game, it's just something we're trying to get away from.

This is just one of the several reasons why new sound sample sets in MAME have slowed to maybe one new set every 3-4 years.

- Stiletto

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#330569 - 08/25/14 05:36 AM

>Does MAME still support samples for unemulated sound hardware? It might be possible to
>isolate the various sound elements from the video.

MAME does have support for external audio samples, but it would have to be simple single sound effects like a crash sound or explosion sound. Some of the sounds that can be heard from blinddog's Guided Missile videoclip are more complex and couldn't really be captured as external audio samples imo.

Any audio samples would likely not be supported because the logic schematics for Guided Missile are available and the preference would be have audio emulated rather than relying on external audio samples.

There is one example that is an excpetion and that is Midway Gun Fight's "hit" sound effect. Gun Fight still uses an external sample while Midway Boot Hill's "hit" sound effect is actually emulated.

The reason why Boot Hill "hit" sound effect is emulated and Gun Fight's "hit" sound effect uses an external sample recording is because Gun Fight uses many more transistors and capacitors just like Sea Wolf while later games including Boot Hill do not use as many resistors and capacitors.

Derrick Renaud had mentioned it would take a lot more time to properly determine how the sound effects are generated for early era Midway games (Gun Fight and Sea Wolf). Derrick used lots of test gear in order to determine exact voltage output for many of the sound effects and then spent time having to do the coding and testing to ensure sounds are nearly identical.

Derrick and Zsolt V. had time to work on the simpler Midway 8080 hardware games to get audio emulated. Gun Fight and Sea Wolf require much more time than they both had.

I believe Guided Missile will have audio fully emulated, but it may be a while until couriersud returns and does do more additions of various discrete components support.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (working!) new [Re: Stiletto]
#330572 - 08/25/14 05:59 AM

>But I don't think anyone would actively deny the application of a patch that could add
>sample support to a game, it's just something we're trying to get away from.

I can accept external audio sample if it were of a game that is impossible to find logic schematics of (points fingers at various games of 1970s made by Meadows) in this day and age, but my preference is have audio emulated if schematics are readily available.

As for any audio that is run from an arcade game that used an external tape player should really be only ones getting the external audio sample support these days.

btw: I came across an old acquaintance yesterday from my junior high years who was also going to arcades many times during 1970s and 1980s. I used to run into him a lot at one of the arcades during late 1970s because his older brother's friends worked there during late 1970s and he got preferential treatment (extra tokens) that us customers didn't get.

Junior high years aquaintance knows about MAME and DICE and has seen progress over the years.

His comment to me: "I hope I never see Sega's Fonz emulated because I hate that damn game and it always drove me crazy when trying to play the game and I had to play Fonz because my girlfriend always insisted I play that game with her whenever she and I went together to visit my brother's friends at their job. TV show Happy Days sucked, Fonzie sucked, and Sega had to go release an arcade game about Fonz which made it suck more."

Just for that we should double down the effort to find Sega's Fonz even though I didn't like the game either.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (working!) new [Re: gregf]
#330599 - 08/25/14 03:50 PM Attachment: 0012.jpg 32 KB (1 downloads)

> Good work on getting back drop piece aligned with game.
>
> I wish it were possible to further dim the farthest bit pieces of the explosion
> images (from explosion buytrate piece), but then that wouldn't be preserving the
> scans of the "explosion buytrate" component so it probably is better to leave it as
> it is.
>
> Comparing blinddog's great Guided Missile videoclip versus how it is emulated, it
> appears the outer edges aren't really visible when viewing the videoclip and that
> would likely be that the lamp piece isn't fully illuminating the outer edges. Maybe
> the outer edges are visible when playing the game in person, but they don't seem to
> be when watching videoclip. I guess this part should be mentioned if not documented
> in MAME source code or at least documented on any of the various info sites so
> information doesn't fade away over time.
>
> Capturing the explosion effect to be almost as if playing the game from an actual
> Guided Missile cab was next to impossible imo. I didn't have high hopes for that, but
> it is better than what it used to be with thanks to blinddog's great work as well.
>
>
> As for Guided Missile bezel, it would be great if it could be vectorized, but that
> is intensive work itself. A bezel really needs to be given the flatbed scan treatment
> in order for there to be any chance of vectorizing the bezel piece. That's why
> various bezel pieces were purchased over the years and scanned.
>
> If there is some way to get a different Guided Missile bezel output in which the
> backlit lamps of the bezel stand out, that too would be great. That would be two
> different bezel images of Guided Missile: one that is viewed with all images viewable
> (as if seeing it in daylight) and the alternate would be where portions of bezel is
> viewable, but with backlit lamps standing out illuminating portions of bezel in a dim
> lit manner.

I never thought of having a separate "night-time" version of the bezel but that is a great idea. I tried simulating the backlight effect via photo-editing, let me know what you think. Of course it would be best if we had a photo of a backlit bezel (maybe blinddog would be nice enough to take one when he gets it put back together).

I also had some ideas for improving the look of the explosions without changing the preservation much, but I'll have to do some experiments and get back to you.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (experimental) new [Re: Comboman]
#330611 - 08/25/14 06:41 PM Attachment: exp-right.jpg 16 KB (0 downloads)

So my idea was to take a framegrab of the video of Missile playing with the explosion effect, then scale and color match it to blinddog's background and use it for the explosion overlay (see below), which is kind of neat because it includes things like lighting highlights on the mountains that would be impossible to get otherwise. It was a PITA to get everything matched up correctly and while it's kind of cool, it's not that much better an experience during actual gameplay. It might look better if blinddog could set up his camera exactly as he did for the backdrop shot but with the lamps turned on and video off, but I realize that's a lot to ask (maybe not even possible).

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

#330612 - 08/25/14 06:46 PM Attachment: gmissile.ZIP 15012 KB (13 downloads)

Here's my experimental LAY files if anyone wants to try it out. The "Upright Artwork" is the same as before. The "Upright Artwork (night)" has the "backlit" bezel and the experimental explosion effect (on the Right Player only).

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#330617 - 08/25/14 07:20 PM

> So my idea was to take a framegrab of the video of Missile playing with the explosion
> effect, then scale and color match it to blinddog's background and use it for the
> explosion overlay (see below), which is kind of neat because it includes things like
> lighting highlights on the mountains that would be impossible to get otherwise. It
> was a PITA to get everything matched up correctly and while it's kind of cool, it's
> not that much better an experience during actual gameplay. It might look better if
> blinddog could set up his camera exactly as he did for the backdrop shot but with the
> lamps turned on and video off, but I realize that's a lot to ask (maybe not even
> possible).

It will be possible... I just gotta play around a bit with it. =D

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Dullaron
Send PM

#330624 - 08/25/14 08:19 PM

> Here's my experimental LAY files if anyone wants to try it out. The "Upright Artwork"
> is the same as before. The "Upright Artwork (night)" has the "backlit" bezel and the
> experimental explosion effect (on the Right Player only).

Tested this out. I think the best way to do this is to use that blast artwork on the back drop and then make it where it light up. Make one each with a full back drop. Will work as a overlay. Don't want have two parts because one side will make the other don't look right with the brightness. Use those as animated light up blast. Look better this way.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (experimental) new [Re: Mr. Do]
#330626 - 08/25/14 08:35 PM

> It will be possible... I just gotta play around a bit with it. =D

That would be awesome.

I'm imagining a day in the future when 3D artwork like the Guided Missile backdrop can 3D rendered and dynamically lit in MAME (like Future Pinball playfields), but until that day comes, this will be pretty damn cool.

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Guided Missile (experimental) new [Re: Dullaron]
#330627 - 08/25/14 09:01 PM

> Tested this out. I think the best way to do this is to use that blast artwork on the
> back drop and then make it where it light up. Make one each with a full back drop.
> Will work as a overlay. Don't want have two parts because one side will make the
> other don't look right with the brightness. Use those as animated light up blast.
> Look better this way.

Yes I think that's the way to go too. Mr. Do is looking into getting pics of the full backdrop with only the lamps on and no video elements.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7092