MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Will this PC config be enough to run mame 3d games smoothly
#339280 - 04/25/15 01:58 PM

i'm finally buying a new rig,this one to be more specific:

cpu I5-4460 haswell 3.2
dd3 kingston 8gb 1600
nvdia geforce gtx 660

and i'd like to know if i can finally play those nasty 3d games such as cyber cycles and the likes at a decent speed,like many videos on youtube shows

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Will this PC config be enough to run mame 3d games smoothly new [Re: Solstar]
#339300 - 04/26/15 02:11 PM

> and i'd like to know if i can finally play those nasty 3d games such as cyber cycles
> and the likes at a decent speed,like many videos on youtube shows

Cyber Cycles is a Namco System 22 game, so that setup should be able to do quite well with it. I'd be surprised if you don't get full speed.

However, those "Nasty 3D games" cover a wide variety of hardware configurations, and it's impossible to give you a specific answer without knowing exactly what games other than Cyber Cycles you plan to run.

Playstation-based games (like Tekken and Star Sweep) should work great, as well as Atari/Midway Seattle games (like NFL Blitz). However, platforms like Naomi and Aleck 64, which are based on the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 respectively, won't be able to run full speed with current MAME on any modern hardware, regardless of CPU.

If I can offer one suggestion, I would bump the amount of RAM up to 16GB if you can afford it, assuming you would be playing PC games apart from just using MAME. 8GB will do just fine for MAME, but with PC games, having the extra RAM can be very useful.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Will this PC config be enough to run mame 3d games smoothly new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#339305 - 04/26/15 05:24 PM

> Cyber Cycles is a Namco System 22 game, so that setup should be able to do quite well
> with it. I'd be surprised if you don't get full speed.

that's good to know

> However, those "Nasty 3D games" cover a wide variety of hardware configurations, and
> it's impossible to give you a specific answer without knowing exactly what games
> other than Cyber Cycles you plan to run.

other fine examples such as california speed,thrill ride,gauntlet legends plus some more i can't think of right now.

> Playstation-based games (like Tekken and Star Sweep) should work great, as well as
> Atari/Midway Seattle games (like NFL Blitz). However, platforms like Naomi and Aleck
> 64, which are based on the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 respectively, won't be able to
> run full speed with current MAME on any modern hardware, regardless of CPU.

the first 3 tekken runs already ok in my current old rig,but games such as soul calibur could get some more fps of course.

> If I can offer one suggestion, I would bump the amount of RAM up to 16GB if you can
> afford it, assuming you would be playing PC games apart from just using MAME. 8GB
> will do just fine for MAME, but with PC games, having the extra RAM can be very
> useful.

And that's my main gripe.While i'm more of an old pc games player,i don't despise newer games,and as such i'd like to play some new games as well,like gta 5,the new mortal kombat etc.i thought this config was ok,especially for gta 5,but if you say that,then i don't know..how much is the difference in price?keep in mind that i saved money for a lot of time to get this,so i hope is not "old" in a couple of months

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Will this PC config be enough to run mame 3d games smoothly new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#339401 - 04/29/15 06:37 PM

ok i tried the pc and those games (plus many other in 3d)are super fast!.incredible..i'm so happy.

though i have one question.games like gti racing cote d'azur has serious sounds issues(crackling,pops etc),what can i do about it?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Will this PC config be enough to run mame 3d games smoothly new [Re: Solstar]
#339432 - 04/30/15 04:34 PM

> ok i tried the pc and those games (plus many other in 3d)are super
> fast!.incredible..i'm so happy.
>
> though i have one question.games like gti racing cote d'azur has serious sounds
> issues(crackling,pops etc),what can i do about it?

GTI Racing doesn't run smooth 100% speed on any PC, so the sound does break up.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Will this PC config be enough to run mame 3d games smoothly new [Re: R. Belmont]
#339439 - 04/30/15 06:36 PM

> > ok i tried the pc and those games (plus many other in 3d)are super
> > fast!.incredible..i'm so happy.
> >
> > though i have one question.games like gti racing cote d'azur has serious sounds
> > issues(crackling,pops etc),what can i do about it?
>
> GTI Racing doesn't run smooth 100% speed on any PC, so the sound does break up.

oh ok i'll just disable the audio then.thanks

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#339703 - 05/06/15 11:12 PM

> oh ok i'll just disable the audio then.thanks

Ewww. That's like fuckin a mute ho.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2367