View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dcapper
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/11/09
Send PM

Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new
#341009 - 06/03/15 07:00 AM

I'm running an old IBM for my MAME cabinet. It has a single core 3.4ghz Intel cpu, 2gb ram, IDE hard drive, with an ArcadeVGA AGP video card.

I have a duo core 3.4ghz cpu system with 4gb ram, and a ssd hard drive collecting dust. Is it a good idea to upgrade to the faster pc? I'd have to buy a new ArcadeVGA PCIe card though.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: dcapper]
#341030 - 06/03/15 08:37 PM

which models exactly are the two cpu's (eg. one is a Pentium 4 and the other a Pentium D) ?

for the pc with the ssd hd, would you be using windows 7?

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: grog]
#341034 - 06/03/15 11:03 PM

If all the games you play run 100%, I'd say don't bother.

If you're wanting to upgrade OS, ah, possibly.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

dcapper
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341047 - 06/04/15 02:38 AM

The old computer is Windows XP and plays fine. It's a single core 3.4Ghz Pentium. The newer PC is a dual core Pentium D 3.4Ghz with SATA and an SSD. I haven't thought if I should go to Windows 7. I was thinking on boot times when I start the machine up. The SSD would increase that I'm sure.

dcapper
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: Traso]
#341048 - 06/04/15 02:39 AM

I haven't thought of Windows 7. I was just thinking on the boot up times more than anything.

I forgot to add that the old PC is the second pc the arcade machine has gone through. The first PC died with bulged caps that finally took the machine out (I got it it too late and didn't notice the caps). I found and exact model and swapped the hard drive out and am running it now. The newer pc that I would use is built much better with quality caps too.

Edited by dcapper (06/04/15 02:43 AM)

grog
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: dcapper]
#341049 - 06/04/15 03:10 AM

> The old computer is Windows XP and plays fine. It's a single core 3.4Ghz Pentium. The
> newer PC is a dual core Pentium D 3.4Ghz with SATA and an SSD. I haven't thought if I
> should go to Windows 7. I was thinking on boot times when I start the machine up. The
> SSD would increase that I'm sure.

looking at this:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/418/Intel_Pentium_4_650_vs_Intel_Pentium_D_945.html
there doesn't seem to be much difference in the processors regarding mame performance.
if you want to use the ssd hd I don't think u would be able to use xp as (I think) xp has trouble with ssd drives regarding efficient and 'proper' functioning of the ssd and its operating method/features
(but there might be certain tweaks/fixes available for windows xp to solve the issues encountered when you try to get a ssd to work as it should)

a reasonable jump/upgrade for your current pc's would be a used dell OptiPlex desktop pc, running a core 2 duo of around 3ghz cpu speed.

for a very fast boot time a good option with any pc if using windows xp is to use a very lightweight 'stripped down' version which you might be able to find 'somewhere' on the net, called 'microXP' (or an alternative is called tinyXP, which is a little less stripped down than microXP).

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#341050 - 06/04/15 03:39 AM

> if you want to use the ssd hd I don't think u would be able to use xp as (I think) xp
> has trouble with ssd drives regarding efficient and 'proper' functioning of the ssd
> and its operating method/features
> (but there might be certain tweaks/fixes available for windows xp to solve the issues
> encountered when you try to get a ssd to work as it should)

There are two issues with using an SSD with Windows XP.

1) Windows XP doesn't know how to properly align a partition for Advanced 4K hard drives and SSDs. I wrote a blog post about one way to properly align an SSD partition under XP... http://krick.livejournal.com/38063.html

2) Windows XP doesn't have automatic "TRIM" support. You can work around this by using an SSD brand which offers a standalone TRIM utility. I know that Intel does in their "SSD Toolbox" utility. It even allows you to set up an automated TRIM on a schedule like every Sunday or whatever. I'm not sure about other brands.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

dcapper
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc [Re: krick]
#341051 - 06/04/15 04:05 AM

I see. My current setup is IDE IBM 8303. The newer pc is an HP 7600 with sata, ddr2 memory and a dual core cpu. But if you all think I won't notice much of a difference, then I won't bother changing the pc. Like I said earlier, I was just looking for a faster bootup time for the machine. I could use the new pc with windows 7, an ssd drive and buy a new arcadevga 5000. I have all the parts just would need a new video card since the old one is agp not pcie.

Edited by dcapper (06/04/15 04:20 AM)

grog
Send PM

#341090 - 06/04/15 09:52 PM

I think perhaps just have a look around the net regarding ways/tips/tricks etc to make windows xp boot faster (stuff like disabling startup items and services which you don't need/use, and so on)
auslogics disk defrag should help a bit if u havnt defragged in a while
download this and run it, it's good
http://www.regsofts.com/free_registry_repair/registry_repair.htm
and perhaps ccleaner also, to give your system a good clean

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341110 - 06/05/15 07:56 AM

Pentium D is a slightly different architecture based on the Pentium design, that virtualizes a second core. It's proto-dual core. (I know this stuff from Wiki, yo.)

MicroXP is an option in the TinyXP image. It goes slim, tiny, micro, then I think beast. I've been using TinyXP, mostly tiny, since '09, which most of my MAME cabs have. My main PC, theatre, and music rigs use 7 (32, 64, 64 bit).

Unless you're going to get a dual core/Core 2 Duo, and do 7x64, don't bother doing anything.

dcapper
MAME Fan
Send PM

#341155 - 06/06/15 10:38 PM

There is Optiplex's being locally sold for $80. I might buy one. Order a new Arcade VGA card, use my ssd drive and put in 4gb of ram. I think the boot up would be much faster than the old xp setup with an IDE drive. I mean the old system runs fine but it boots up so slow. I don't leaving my machine on when I'm not using it.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#341174 - 06/07/15 08:46 AM

> There is Optiplex's being locally sold for $80. I might buy one. Order a new Arcade
> VGA card, use my ssd drive and put in 4gb of ram. I think the boot up would be much
> faster than the old xp setup with an IDE drive. I mean the old system runs fine but
> it boots up so slow. I don't leaving my machine on when I'm not using it.

Why would XP take ages to boot up on anything later than a Pentium 3? My ten year old 2.8GHz Celeron (Northwood) cold boots XP from power-on to the login screen in about 10-15 seconds, and that's with its original 40GB IDE drive from 2004.

You can also find discarded, working, modern PCs every week in the hard waste/e-waste, at least here in Melbourne - I have found a number of dual core PCs too (one of my daily-use PCs is an E7400 which was found in the hard waste, or hard rubbish as it's called here). A free Core 2 Duo or five shits all over any Raspberry Pi.

Also found in the hard waste: Two PlayStation 2s, an Xbox, two NES', two Atari 2600s, three Mega Drives (all work) and a number of games. One PS2 (fat) was fubar and donated its parts, including an Apple Pro chip while the rest was binned, the other (slim) had a failed DVD laser which was trivial to replace, and one Atari 2600 has a bad RAM chip I think (it doesn't work properly but it still tries to boot games, and some do show up, albeit glitched); one NES had a corroded trace and a cracked solder joint on the board which was also easy to fix; the rest were perfectly working systems with nothing at all wrong with them, aside from them not being the latest console made (still haven't trash-picked a PS3 yet, or even a Blu-Ray player for that matter).

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#341190 - 06/07/15 08:23 PM

@dcapper: any boot less than sixty seconds is fine for me. Take a moment and breathe. Literally. Breath all-time equals greater life.

Second, what does boot time have to do with when the machine is on? But let's look at this a little differently. Electronics like to be left on rather than switched on and off. I have a digital arcade multisync I bought in '07. From '08 through at least some of '10, I used it as my main monitor. After getting a nice LCD* in '11, I would often leave my (main) arcade rig on the whole day so I could slide over and play games when I wanted. It's on behind me right now. Yeah, it's seen probably 90% non-play versus on time since I've owned it, but it's still a magnificent image and color palette. It's tough tech. Note that I have my screensaver set to blank (all my machines have been for aeons), at three minutes.

*My first 19" LCD screwed up my vision, which took at least six months to fix itself after I stopped using it. Until this monitor I got in '11, I'd strictly used CRTs.

Now, here's another point of interest: the last year or so I've mosttly been using HLSL on my main arcade rig. The desktop is 1024x768, so perfect with most horizontal games. For 224 vert games, I use one of the pngs. For 288 vert games (Pac, etc), I switch to 800x600 and use the scanlines png, that's been rotated and saved that way. (And I haven't even gotten into using GLSL shaders.....)

I love native resolutions, and my monitor and GeForce 6800 kick ass for this. But since I'm not longer bothering with that, and not bothering with something like GroovyMAME (tried it, was not as easy as AdvanceMAME, so I bagged on it), and I'm starting to run into performance issues on some games (like Zookeeper!) with this machine, I'm starting to think about getting a new machine that will take me into the future.

But like I said, if you aren't having any real issues, leave it be.

@Heihachi:

I think he's in the US, and there isn't that kind of recycling here. Maybe in a few big cities, but I doubt it. People try to resell everything on Craigslist and ebay.

I remember you talking about your super fast boot. Some of it may be the small drive. Only my first computer, my Dell S4500, with XP (pre-SP) booted quicker than thirty seconds. Right now it's probably around that (though I don't recall whether it's running TinyXP or standard SP3).

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#341218 - 06/08/15 01:16 AM

> @Heihachi:
>
> I think he's in the US, and there isn't that kind of recycling here. Maybe in a few
> big cities, but I doubt it. People try to resell everything on Craigslist and ebay.
>

It's hard to sell anything on eBay here, the cost of postage/shipping in Australia is ridiculous unless the item is small enough to pass as a large letter.

dcapper
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#341280 - 06/09/15 07:04 PM

I'm in Canada. Kijiji has lots of things for sale. I'm thinking the old 120GB IDE drive is the root of my evil. I have another pc that has an AGP port and sata II. I might upgrade to windows 7 and install the ssd I already bought (should have waited but it was only $60) and use my agp ArcadeVGA card. I would have done the full blown upgrade but the pci-e card is $150 shipped to Canada. As for the monitor, I have a 20" Triniton but I think it's starting to fail. It's jumping. I'll pull it apart and look for bulged caps. I really prefer having a CRT.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#341291 - 06/10/15 12:34 AM

> I'm in Canada. Kijiji has lots of things for sale. I'm thinking the old 120GB IDE
> drive is the root of my evil. I have another pc that has an AGP port and sata II. I
> might upgrade to windows 7 and install the ssd I already bought (should have waited
> but it was only $60) and use my agp ArcadeVGA card. I would have done the full blown
> upgrade but the pci-e card is $150 shipped to Canada. As for the monitor, I have a
> 20" Triniton but I think it's starting to fail. It's jumping. I'll pull it apart and
> look for bulged caps. I really prefer having a CRT.

I agree, you can't beat a CRT for old games - I've been using my GameCube display cabinet as a MAME/emulation system for years, it also has a 4-way AV switch box with a number of consoles hooked up. The display is a regular old 2003-era CRT TV which supports both PAL and NTSC (20"/51cm LG Flatron RT-21FA31).

Phreakwars
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/11/15
Send PM

#342375 - 07/11/15 09:47 PM

If XP is running slow on bootup and you're only using it for games, then consider just shelling it so it boots into your frontend instead of booting into the Windows GUI. It's a pain in the butt to setup, but well worth it.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old single core pc debating if to upgrade to a duo core pc new [Re: Phreakwars]
#342601 - 07/17/15 09:03 PM

> If XP is running slow on bootup and you're only using it for games, then consider just shelling it so it boots into your frontend instead of booting into the Windows GUI. It's a pain in the butt to setup, but well worth it.

Na, it's easy. Use InstantSheller.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2742