MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

How to display both official & unofficial artwork in a game?
#342802 - 07/22/15 07:26 AM

My Artwork folder has all the official artwork zips along with unofficial artwork for games that have no official artwork available. For games that have both official and unofficial artwork, I placed the unofficial artwork zips into a separate directory because obviously you can't have two files with the same name in the same directory...

So my question is how can I have the in-game ability to display both artwork (official or unofficial)?

My first thought was just to combine the official and unofficial artwork into the same zip. But that's a problem because both .lay files are named default.lay.

Edited by Big Karnak (07/22/15 07:40 AM)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: How to display both official & unofficial artwork in a game? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342808 - 07/22/15 01:35 PM

As far as I know, you have to combine the LAY files.

In other words - combine the two LAY files into one file.

It's not difficult, but you do have to know a little bit. There are tutorials online, but I personally didn't find any of them were adequate.

If you me to write a simple tutorial - which will be wordy, but I hope crystal clear, let me know.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: How to display both official & unofficial artwork in a game? new [Re: Vaughan]
#342810 - 07/22/15 04:10 PM

No need to do that. Thanks anyway. I figured it out. I opened one of the .lay files with Notepad and then I cut & pasted the appropriate text into the other .lay file. After a few tries, I figured out exactly which text to cut & paste to get it working. Is that the technique you were suggesting? I wish there was another way to do this since there are more than a hundred unofficial artwork files out there. So it would be very tedious to do this with each one.

I wish there was someway to set the Artwork path to multiple directories and MAME being able to recognize both .lay files. But I doubt that's possible that way.

Edited by Big Karnak (07/22/15 04:18 PM)

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: How to display both official & unofficial artwork in a game? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#342813 - 07/22/15 05:34 PM

Short answer is you can't unless you have both in a single lay file.

I don't think this is what you want, but you can set up a custom INI (i.e. the mama.ini) per game or system or what have you, that has an override for the artwork path. But, that won't allow you to switch while MAME is running.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#342814 - 07/22/15 06:20 PM

Yes, that's the only way to do it.

You've come across a lot more Custom Bezels than I have. When putting out my own I've had a couple where Custom artwork existed, but it was "generic" in nature, so I didn't bother to keep it.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: How to display both official & unofficial artwork in a game? new [Re: Vaughan]
#342826 - 07/23/15 04:38 AM

Quote:

You've come across a lot more Custom Bezels than I have. When putting out my own I've had a couple where Custom artwork existed, but it was "generic" in nature, so I didn't bother to keep it.

Mr. Do's Other Arcade Artwork has 185 unofficial artwork zips http://www.mameworld.info/mrdo/mame_otherart.php?p=a#here . Plus Comboman has made many custom unofficial artwork zips that he has posted in this subforum. So those two sources combined equates to well over 200 artwork zips.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#342835 - 07/23/15 03:02 PM

Good to know - especially when deciding which games to make art for.

Thanks!

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

Re: How to display both official & unofficial artwork in a game? new [Re: lamprey]
#342870 - 07/24/15 04:08 AM

Okay guys - it's time to enter the twilight zone.

There is good news and bad news. The good news is - you actually CAN have multiple Bezels - that is, a custom bezel in a Zip file, along with custom bezels that are NOT in a/the zip file.

The bad news is - I don't know how to do it, or how it works.

I came across it tonight. I created my own Baraduke bezel, because although I had a custom Bezel already, it wasn't too exciting to my eyes (which is not to say it wasn't good, just not to my taste).

So anyway - I made my Bezel, made the Zip file, and copied the ZIP file to my artwork folder. It never asked if I wanted to over-write anything, which I thought was weird, but whatever.....

Imagine my surprise when I played Baraduke - and it now gives me access to BOTH my new bezels, and the older customs.....

I've scanned my hard disks for another Baraduke.zip file, but I simply don't have one. I even searched for Bara*.* and only got back my own files.

I'm not sure what's going on here..... but the answer is out there somewhere. My BAraduke zip file is available from my thread, but I can assure you it contains only my own Bezels.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

#342872 - 07/24/15 04:17 AM

I think it's because Baraduke is the clone of the parent Alien Sector. Artwork already exists for the parent Alien Sector. Artwork for parents get displayed in all it's clones as well. But artwork for clones only get displayed for that specific clone. So, I think that's what you're experiencing.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#342873 - 07/24/15 04:37 AM

Oh, there ya go - I learned something.

It's always simple when you know how.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1804