Pages: 1

weirdaljr
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/14/15
Send PM

C2D Cpu - 2gb Ram - Not Enough for MK1?
#344017 - 08/14/15 03:52 PM

Hello All,

I was hoping you all could point me in the right direction as far as underpowered hardware or just a setting issue, or other with my setup.

It has been a few years since I built a cab (last was around mame 0.6), but anyway I just threw together a setup with a old PC that runs a core 2 duo 2.2, 2gb ram, integrated video, fresh clean Win 7 64 install. Loaded up latest MameUI and it seemed to be running poorly. I didn't too much settings configuration besides testing direct3d on and It seemed like their may be a issue. I was using my main test / benchmark game as Mortal Kombat 1 as that is around the level of game I was hoping to have playable (and all the older games), and it was nearly playable at times, and at other times it would stutter and stall.

Now it is a clean Windows install so it is not something like AV or malware software interfering, so really what I wanted to ask/confirm is if this hardware is plenty for that specific game (Mortal Kombat 1) so I know if my issue is setting related, or possibly bad hardware for troubleshooting. So should a Intel C2D with 2gb of RAM be more then enough for a game like MK1 or is it normal for that game to have issues on this hardware due to being underpowered?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: C2D Cpu - 2gb Ram - Not Enough for MK1? new [Re: weirdaljr]
#344035 - 08/15/15 01:45 AM

> just threw together a setup with a old PC that runs a core 2 duo 2.2, 2gb ram,
> integrated video, fresh clean Win 7 64 install.

That should be more than enough to run MK1.

Mortal Kombat runs 570-1000% unthrottled here on my old PC. It's running MameUI 0.148u2 though.

It's a Core 2 Duo E8500 3.17GHz, Geforce 460 GTX, 4GB RAM

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: C2D Cpu - 2gb Ram - Not Enough for MK1? new [Re: Sune]
#344041 - 08/15/15 06:22 AM

Make sure HLSL is turned off. Also, try OpenGL instead of D3D.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#344059 - 08/15/15 06:40 PM

> Hello All,
>
> I was hoping you all could point me in the right direction as far as underpowered
> hardware or just a setting issue, or other with my setup.
>
> It has been a few years since I built a cab (last was around mame 0.6), but anyway I
> just threw together a setup with a old PC that runs a core 2 duo 2.2, 2gb ram,
> integrated video, fresh clean Win 7 64 install. Loaded up latest MameUI and it seemed
> to be running poorly. I didn't too much settings configuration besides testing
> direct3d on and It seemed like their may be a issue. I was using my main test /
> benchmark game as Mortal Kombat 1 as that is around the level of game I was hoping to
> have playable (and all the older games), and it was nearly playable at times, and at
> other times it would stutter and stall.
>
> Now it is a clean Windows install so it is not something like AV or malware software
> interfering, so really what I wanted to ask/confirm is if this hardware is plenty for
> that specific game (Mortal Kombat 1) so I know if my issue is setting related, or
> possibly bad hardware for troubleshooting. So should a Intel C2D with 2gb of RAM be
> more then enough for a game like MK1 or is it normal for that game to have issues on
> this hardware due to being underpowered?

I would also recommend deleting your mame.ini file. That file sometimes causes issues like what you described.

Just be aware that deleting the mame.ini file means you will have to re-map your inputs (keyboards, joysticks, etc) for any games you want to play.

To re-create the mame.ini file after you delete it, type "mame -cc" or "mame64 -cc" (if you have 64bit mame) at the command prompt in the folder where mame is located. That command is typed without quotes, by the way.

Also, clear out the nvram for mortal kombat, just to be safe.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#344081 - 08/16/15 05:36 AM

2GB isn't a lot of memory for Windows 7 64-bit. I'd recommend 4GB as a minimum.

We had a few PCs at work with 3GB and they would start thrashing the hard drive (virtual memory) as soon as we opened up a program or two due to lack of physical memory.

What is your video card situation? Are you using onboard video? If so, how much physical memory is allocated to it in the BIOS? It's possible that it's using 1/2 or more of your physical memory.

Related to the above question... What resolution are you running your monitor at? Higher resolutions require a larger frame buffer, which I believe comes out of physical memory when using onboard video.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

pcm2a
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/31/15
Send PM

#344280 - 08/21/15 06:43 PM

I have a Dell D630 laptop with a core2duo running at 2 ghz, 4gb ram (3.5gb usable) and Windows XP 32bit. It runs MK1, 2 and 3 beautifully with the default mame settings. I did not try HLSL. Any games that use 3d, like Mace, MK4 or Tekken Tag do not play well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2177