Pages: 1

COXXON
MAME rookie
Reged: 02/08/16
Loc: PA
Send PM

Front end recommendation
#350341 - 02/17/16 04:12 AM

I've been going through the forums trying to figure out the best place to post this but nothing really fits. Since it's part of building a finished cabinet I thought I'd post it here.

I had been looking at a 60-in-one machine and a friend recommended that I build a Mame instead. I have the cab, PC, controls, Ipac, and have been running Mame standalone, and now I need a frontend. I started with Mala only to find that it is no longer supported.

Mameworld lists over 30 FEs on the homepage plus there are many more free and commercial online. My problem is that a lot of them seem to be abandoned/obsolete/unsupported.

I am looking for recommendations on a good, currently supported front end (paid or free). I am building a vertical machine using Windows 7.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Front end recommendation new [Re: COXXON]
#350358 - 02/17/16 05:18 PM

> I've been going through the forums trying to figure out the best place to post this
> but nothing really fits. Since it's part of building a finished cabinet I thought I'd
> post it here.
>
> I had been looking at a 60-in-one machine and a friend recommended that I build a
> Mame instead. I have the cab, PC, controls, Ipac, and have been running Mame
> standalone, and now I need a frontend. I started with Mala only to find that it is no
> longer supported.

Be that as it may, if it works for you there's no reason not to use it. You may need to be careful if you update MAME in the future, but if it works now you can always use it now.

COXXON
MAME rookie
Reged: 02/08/16
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: Front end recommendation new [Re: R. Belmont]
#350754 - 02/27/16 04:25 AM

Thanks. Based on your comment I have worked a little more with MALA and think I can improve the standard layout enough for my taste. The layout editor seems fairly intuitive. I am running an older build of MAME (0.148) to be compatible with MALA, but I am only installing classic games (not the entire rom set) so I don't need the latest version.

When I try to go to the original MALA website Norton puts up a red screen and alerts me to problems with the page so I haven't had the courage to ignore them and open it, but I have found sufficient advice on this and other home arcade websites to get me through.

Interestingly, I found a survey of front ends and MALA was still the most used (granted, it has been around much longer than some newer FEs).

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Front end recommendation new [Re: COXXON]
#350765 - 02/27/16 06:25 AM

If you decide to upgrade to the latest official MAME (0.171) it already has a Front-End known as MEWUI.

Since you're running a cab setup you could manually tag the games you want to play as favorites, so when you enter your favorites you'd get an alphabetized listing of those games that would be easily accessible.

Otherwise, other kinds of filters exist to manipulate the game listing.

If the integrated MEWUI isn't good enough for your needs then I'd have to recommend GameEX, QMC2, or HyperSpin in that order.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Front end recommendation new [Re: B2K24]
#351281 - 03/07/16 11:18 PM

> If the integrated MEWUI isn't good enough for your needs then I'd have to recommend GameEX, QMC2, or HyperSpin in that order.

There should be a dedicated something for front ends.... Anyways, two recent additions are FEEL and My Mame Frontend...except the latter is in french....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

kaptainsteve
Lurker
Reged: 10/02/03
Send PM

Re: Front end recommendation new [Re: Traso]
#354268 - 05/15/16 04:11 PM

http://www.attractmode.org

The best for a cabinet, simple to install and set up and operate with buttons and joystick.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2816