MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

SS External Hard drive
#363413 - 02/11/17 09:56 PM

My daughter has joined the Peace Corps and is going to Myanmar (Burma) for 27 months. She has been warned that the humidity will play havoc with electronics. Would a SS external hard drive be better (last longer) than a regular one, or would it make no difference?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: SS External Hard drive new [Re: DrLarryE]
#363558 - 02/15/17 06:48 PM

> My daughter has joined the Peace Corps and is going to Myanmar (Burma) for 27 months.
> She has been warned that the humidity will play havoc with electronics. Would a SS
> external hard drive be better (last longer) than a regular one, or would it make no
> difference?

Mechanical HDDs are mostly sealed except for a very tiny filter (0.1 micron has been quoted around the Internet). I don't think humidity would be a problem (sand/dust in a desert environment may well be). A quick Google shows that Myanmar has a fairly widespread techie culture and multiple makerspaces. I'd maybe reach out to someone in charge at one of those makerspaces and ask what works well in that environment.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 932