View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DonkeysDong
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/18/16
Send PM

5:4 monitor
#365013 - 04/08/17 09:29 AM

Just got my hands on an old DELL 5:4 LCD that can rotate to portrait position, so nice for playing vertical or horizontal MAME games.
On my current widescreen monitor, I strictly adhere to maintaining the original aspect ratio for games with bezel artwork filling the gaps.
Now I'm migrating to a 5:4, do most people just stretch the image to fit because the difference is negligible on the eye?
Or do you put up with the thin black borders I imagine you would see playing 4:3 games in their original aspect ratio on a 5:4 monitor?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: 5:4 monitor new [Re: DonkeysDong]
#365037 - 04/09/17 08:11 AM

> Just got my hands on an old DELL 5:4 LCD that can rotate to portrait position, so
> nice for playing vertical or horizontal MAME games.
> On my current widescreen monitor, I strictly adhere to maintaining the original
> aspect ratio for games with bezel artwork filling the gaps.
> Now I'm migrating to a 5:4, do most people just stretch the image to fit because the
> difference is negligible on the eye?
> Or do you put up with the thin black borders I imagine you would see playing 4:3
> games in their original aspect ratio on a 5:4 monitor?

I'd keep the original aspect ratio and use bezel artwork like you do with your widescreen monitor. That's what I used to do when I still had my Samsung 943BX, also a rotateable 5:4 display. Although you don't really get to enjoy much of the artwork for vertically oriented games, except when some of it covers the game graphics. On some games the gap between the game display and the bezel artwork is just big enough that the artwork doesn't show at all. I guess you could open up the corresponding .lay file and change that if you want.

S

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: 5:4 monitor new [Re: Sune]
#365548 - 04/29/17 11:18 PM

Yep. Bezel art gets cut off, but it looks and feels great-- you get a good sized playfield and just enough art that it doesn't feel like you're wasting screen.

Bonus points if the monitor is rotatable for vertical use, like my old 5:4 is.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: 5:4 monitor new [Re: DonkeysDong]
#366316 - 05/25/17 12:18 PM

> Just got my hands on an old DELL 5:4 LCD that can rotate to portrait position, so
> nice for playing vertical or horizontal MAME games.
> On my current widescreen monitor, I strictly adhere to maintaining the original
> aspect ratio for games with bezel artwork filling the gaps.
> Now I'm migrating to a 5:4, do most people just stretch the image to fit because the
> difference is negligible on the eye?
> Or do you put up with the thin black borders I imagine you would see playing 4:3
> games in their original aspect ratio on a 5:4 monitor?

I still have a 5:4 monitor in use (LG Flatron L1710M), I don't really notice the black bars in horizontal games once I'm playing, the bars are less than 1 centimetre on both top and bottom. I keep the aspect the same in MAME's config so a regular 4:3 game is always stretched to 4:3 (in this case it would stretch to 1280x960 letterboxed rather than the full 1280x1024).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1898