View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

4:3 CRT TV picture doesn't fit
#373270 - 01/20/18 04:39 AM

Looking for help with the older cab I bought (because I don't have the skills to build one).

It uses a 4:3 CRT KLH television (model KT2406) as its monitor. The PC is connected through S-video through an S- video capable graphics card.

This wasn't a problem with the old PC, but using the new one a significant amount of the picture is cut off on all sides. In other words, even though the aspect ratio looks okay, the picture is just a little too big for the screen.

Adjusting the PC resolution doesn't help. I'm inclined to think "fixing" the TV's overscan would fix things, but I can't figure out how to access the TV's service menu. Any advice?

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: 4:3 CRT TV picture doesn't fit new [Re: RPOR6V]
#373272 - 01/20/18 07:05 AM

This might help:

FOREWARNING: If you are poking around inside of a CRT TV/monitor & don't know what you're doing, it can be very dangerous for you if you're allergic to high powered shocks! The kind that could possibly maim(not the emu) or kill you!! So don't do it unless you have at least a general idea of what not to touch, even when it's unplugged...The flyback & caps can(& should) hold a high charge for quite a long time...possibly days...so take care when attempting a repair or adjustment. Or not, I've seen people on U-BOOB who surprisingly hold little regard for their own mortality...

If there is no digital menu(I think this TV is from around 2003 so there probably isn't) to change screen size you'll have to look on the TV's chassis PCB for some potentiometers(or they could be on a daughterboard or the neckboard). These should control all the aspects of the picture that the tube emits. Adjust them accordingly so the screen fits again or to your liking, whichever. I'm assuming someone already cracked the CRT out of the main box already to mount it in the cab, so it shouldn't be too hard to find what you're looking for, if not, you're going to have to open up it's case first.

Good Luck!

Sorry if this wasn't helpful, maybe someone else is more familiar with this model or has a better idea of how to do it.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SteelTigers
STRAT Fan
Reged: 12/23/17
Send PM

#373275 - 01/20/18 11:46 AM

> Looking for help with the older cab I bought (because I don't have the skills to
> build one).
>
> It uses a 4:3 CRT KLH television (model KT2406) as its monitor. The PC is connected
> through S-video through an S- video capable graphics card.
>
> This wasn't a problem with the old PC, but using the new one a significant amount of
> the picture is cut off on all sides. In other words, even though the aspect ratio
> looks okay, the picture is just a little too big for the screen.
>
> Adjusting the PC resolution doesn't help. I'm inclined to think "fixing" the TV's
> overscan would fix things, but I can't figure out how to access the TV's service
> menu. Any advice?

Typically this is the PC video card and driver causing the over scan. Since I have no way of currently knowing your video card type or OS, on my system if I right click the desktop and go to NVIDIA Control Panel, (since I have an NVIDIA Card) you would navigate to "Adjust desktop size and position" then go to the "Size" tab and tick the "Enable desktop sizing" box, then sliders will appear, allowing you to fine tune the desktop width and height to the monitor.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: 4:3 CRT TV picture doesn't fit new [Re: SteelTigers]
#373276 - 01/20/18 04:52 PM

> > Looking for help with the older cab I bought (because I don't have the skills to
> > build one).
> >
> > It uses a 4:3 CRT KLH television (model KT2406) as its monitor. The PC is connected
> > through S-video through an S- video capable graphics card.
> >
> > This wasn't a problem with the old PC, but using the new one a significant amount
> of
> > the picture is cut off on all sides. In other words, even though the aspect ratio
> > looks okay, the picture is just a little too big for the screen.
> >
> > Adjusting the PC resolution doesn't help. I'm inclined to think "fixing" the TV's
> > overscan would fix things, but I can't figure out how to access the TV's service
> > menu. Any advice?
>
>
> Typically this is the PC video card and driver causing the over scan. Since I have no
> way of currently knowing your video card type or OS, on my system if I right click
> the desktop and go to NVIDIA Control Panel, (since I have an NVIDIA Card) you would
> navigate to "Adjust desktop size and position" then go to the "Size" tab and tick the
> "Enable desktop sizing" box, then sliders will appear, allowing you to fine tune the
> desktop width and height to the monitor.

Depend on what TV and computer screen brand they are using too.

My Asus computer screens have a menu. 4:3, Full and forgot that other one.

My TV menu have these. Wide screen, box screen, full screen over the edges and more.

CRT Screens is very different. Turning knobs or buttons. I remember messing with my old CRT computer screen. Getting the graphics to line up to the edges. Messing with the brightness and colors too.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Re: 4:3 CRT TV picture doesn't fit new [Re: Dullaron]
#373277 - 01/20/18 05:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies! This TV doesn't have those "wide" or "zoom" settings in its menus like HD TV's do. YouTube has led me to believe most TV's of this vintage do have a "service" menu that is meant for only the factory or service techs, through which one could adjust the overscan etc, but in order to access it you need to know a secret series of button presses for that particular TV model. If it helps at all I'm running Windows 10 and using a video card by VisionTek labelled "3870 OC PCIE 512M GDDR VT". When I right click on my desktop I don't see an option to do anything with the card directly, just the option to go into "display" where I have two generic resolution choices.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#373334 - 01/22/18 05:45 PM

> running Windows 10 and using a video card by VisionTek labelled "3870 OC PCIE 512M
> GDDR VT". When I right click on my desktop I don't see an option to do anything with
> the card directly, just the option to go into "display" where I have two generic
> resolution choices.

Your card is an AMD Radeon; a quick Google suggests these steps:

- Click on preferences top right.
- Enable advanced mode
- You'll get extra options - one of which is display scaling.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to find out the service menu magic sequence for your TV.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 709