MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JamesMcKofEclipse
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/10/19
Send PM

Custom pairings of Artwork and games/systems?
#381513 - 03/13/19 08:01 PM

Greetings Mr. Do. I am inquiring about custom pairings of artwork and hardware/software.

I personally am thinking that with certain games in series, and on hardware paired with specific software my mind wanders on such things like Atari 7800 Pac-Man games having it's arcade artwork on the sides, while the main game screen is displayed where the artwork would complement it.

I know that's a bit of a stretch but I am manly going to use the tricks you tell me for my own personal enjoyment.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Custom pairings of Artwork and games/systems? new [Re: JamesMcKofEclipse]
#381621 - 03/18/19 03:10 AM

> Greetings Mr. Do. I am inquiring about custom pairings of artwork and
> hardware/software.
>
> I personally am thinking that with certain games in series, and on hardware paired
> with specific software my mind wanders on such things like Atari 7800 Pac-Man games
> having it's arcade artwork on the sides, while the main game screen is displayed
> where the artwork would complement it.
>
> I know that's a bit of a stretch but I am manly going to use the tricks you tell me
> for my own personal enjoyment.

Okay... I didn't get it at first, but I think I know what you are saying now, between this and your PM... you want to use existing MAME artwork, and use it for a different game or console system, is that correct?

If so, then yes, that is completely possible to do on your end. You can take any MAME Artwork file, rename it to a different setname in MAME, and use that file as-is for that new setname.

A couple things to remember:

1) You need to match screen orientations. So, for example, you could take mspacman, and rename it to pacman, and it would then work as pacman artwork, since they are both vertical games. But if you were to take mspacman and rename it to junglek, Jungle King would look weird, since it is a horizontal game.

2) So... in the second case above, you could still do it... you would just need to change the coordinates for the screen, so that it will be a 4:3 ratio, instead of a 3:4 ratio, and also still fit within the bezel window.

And since you are looking to use vertical game artwork for a7800 games, you would need to do what #2 says above... fix the settings for the screen.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 337