MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MoMo
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/17/20
Send PM

Ground Up Emulation Setup Thoughts (CPU, Monitor, Cab)
#387541 - 08/17/20 08:38 PM

Hi all,

Completely new to arcade emulation. I'm tinkering with a guy on met on the set of a shoot who is great at rebuilding custom cabinets but hasn't had experience with creating emulation setups. I'm currently plotting out the main guts for the job and wanted to get the experts thoughts
-Computer: Trying to get something that's cheap but will do the job up through GameCube system. I honestly don't think I'll dive into PS3 or WiiU for example. Here's one I found quickly on Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=6325578
-Monitor: I'm hoping to have a 32" screen mounted into the cab. I'm thinking it will auto adjust between 4:3 and 16:9 right? I don't care about black bars for 4:3. Not sure if a computer monitor vs. tv monitor monumentally changes things based on usage. Current target: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-32-...?skuId=6315439
-Cab: He has a centipede cabinet available that he can use as a base. We'll have to get into if the 32" screen size will work but what are your thoughts on the space for a 2 player setup with enough buttons to play the vast majority of games available for MAME and other systems?
-Misc: How do you do save states with arcade cabs? Do you have to go to the back end with a wireless keyboard or can you get dedicated buttons in the play area?

THANK YOU so much for the help!

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

Re: Ground Up Emulation Setup Thoughts (CPU, Monitor, Cab) new [Re: MoMo]
#387544 - 08/18/20 12:05 AM

Just by looking at the Centipede arcade cab specs, the original arcade used a 19" monitor. Not sure how you would be able to mount a 32" screen, unless you turn it vertically, but then you may have issues with it hitting the marquee. The link you provided for the monitor is not working, so I have no idea what the size specifications are.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Cautionary tale new [Re: MoMo]
#387548 - 08/18/20 05:19 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed my cab builds, having built a few.

It's a great creative outlet that produces somethign the whole family will enjoy for decades. We still regularly play on my builds (and they show it through all the wear and tear).

Be sure and enjoy this web page... I don't know who put it together... it's still around after all these years, it's a great laugh (unless one of your builds is in there, then my condolences ), and it's a lot of examples of what NOT to do.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 733