MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#UPDATE AGAIN Time to dust off the old mame cab and refurb her !!
#387613 - 08/26/20 07:25 PM

Update: picked up a used computer on ebay, i3 3.6, 8g memory and 1 tb harddrive for 75.+. That should work for most of what I play I hope....

Originally built it back years ago.

To give an idea of age, it started with a amd 1700 palimino o/c to 2100 then lastly a lap to Intel chip 2100 o/c to 2400 duo 2. So as you can tell its been a while.

Its been sitting buried in a corner for about 10 yrs and I got it pulled out the other day. My kids are grown and gone so it got forgotten BUT now I have grand kids so time to introduce them to arcade mania !!

Plans are using I3 3.1 chip, original crt tv and arcade games only so my questions are, 1- video card minimums and minimum ram requirements.

I thank you and my grand kids will thank you for any feedback !!

ALmost ready to start assembling this thing !!

Edited by Renegade (10/27/20 04:07 AM)

Only here to annoy...

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/13/20
Send PM

Re: Time to dust off the old mame cab and refurb her !! new [Re: Renegade]
#387687 - 08/30/20 04:56 PM

I had a similar situation. I bought a refurbished PC with an i5-4590. Popped in memory, an SSD and a GeForce GT 1030 2GB graphics card. I did find the integrated Intel graphics gave me headaches. Going to the GeForce worked great. Total was a hair over $200 and everything I have tried runs great.

Edited by Classic80sGMR (08/30/20 05:05 PM)

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: Time to dust off the old mame cab and refurb her !! new [Re: Classic80sGMR]
#387695 - 08/31/20 05:10 AM

Thanks for the info.

Some recent posts I've read give conflicting info on vid cards. Some say the on board vid is just fine while others say a good vid card is now needed.

Same on on board memory. Again I was wondering if 4 gigs is big enough now with win10 and its needs too. Again once getting into bigger chd files too?

Only here to annoy...

Classic80sGMR
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/13/20
Send PM

#387696 - 08/31/20 05:46 AM

The i5 machine (Dirt cheap on Newegg) I bought was a Compaq that was more focused as a work PC (Not a gaming PC). Windows 10 ran much better when I upgraded from 8g to 20g (2x8 and left in the 2x4). If Win 10 will run with 4g I have no question the pain will not be worth the $50 to drop in 16g. The integrated video costs nothing to try it. For me the issues were incompatibility. If you have the issues I experienced you don’t need a powerhouse discrete video card. Mame relies far more on the CPU then GPU. For me, I needed a smaller card to fit in the desktop case.

Moochieone
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/25/19
Loc: Virginia
Send PM

#387697 - 08/31/20 06:03 AM

It really depends on your expectations. If you have a CRT, then a current GPU "may" not be needed (dependent on resolution and vector graphics enhancements). However, if you are running a LCD, and want to reproduce the proper scanlines and/or higher-res graphics, then you will need a powerful GPU to run HLSL or BGFX optional effects. Both of these options will require the use of a more-powerful GPU to push the enhancements to the quality you want to achieve.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: #UPDATE AGAIN Time to dust off the old mame cab and refurb her !! new [Re: Renegade]
#388284 - 10/27/20 04:14 AM

Now I have both my desktop computer and the ebay computer up and running.

don't use the desktop too often, usually on the phone or laptop.

So I have a question for you guys,

Is there much difference between the I3-3.4 vs the I5-3.2 ?

I know the the I5 has more cores etc but does mame care? my Desktop is the I5 and if its much better in mame I'll use the I3 for the desktop and the I5 for the mame cabinet...

also I'm using an old crt t.v. set to answer previous questions !

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, I still hit the forums on occasion but I haven't downloaded mame in over a yr so I have fallen way behind the curve on mame requirements, info and set ups. again thank you all !!

Only here to annoy...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: #UPDATE AGAIN Time to dust off the old mame cab and refurb her !! new [Re: Renegade]
#388617 - 11/16/20 08:33 PM

> Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, I still hit the forums on occasion but I
> haven't downloaded mame in over a yr so I have fallen way behind the curve on mame
> requirements, info and set ups. again thank you all !!

MAME's system requirements haven't changed in a long time, unless the PC is old enough to vote (e.g. if it has a single core CPU and an AGP slot, it probably shouldn't be used for MAME).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 568