View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mhavoc
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/03/19
Send PM

Compiling for a single driver
#389690 - 01/25/21 04:03 AM

Hi there... Im trying to update a single driver. I have removed all the other drivers from the .lst file, but when I compile, I still end up with a 138M hbmame64.exe... I thought there was an easy way to limit the build so it could compile and link pretty quick?

I tried with SOURCES= in the make command to a single driver, but my hbmame64.exe was still 138M.

make PTR64=1 TARGET=hbmame SOURCES=/src/hbmame/drivers/mhavoc.cpp

thanks!

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Compiling for a single driver new [Re: mhavoc]
#389717 - 01/27/21 09:29 AM

The executable will stay that size. MAME's framework is big, it's not only the drivers.
What you can do is speed up the linking using lld as a linker,
by doing
set ARCHOPTS=-fuse-ld=lld
before launching make.
Remember to add REGENIE=1 if it isn't a clean compile.

Also, if you are using SOURCES you don't need to remove anything from the .lst files.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Compiling for a single driver new [Re: mhavoc]
#389727 - 01/27/21 04:31 PM

> Hi there... Im trying to update a single driver. I have removed all the other drivers
> from the .lst file, but when I compile, I still end up with a 138M hbmame64.exe... I
> thought there was an easy way to limit the build so it could compile and link pretty
> quick?
>
> I tried with SOURCES= in the make command to a single driver, but my hbmame64.exe was
> still 138M.
>
> make PTR64=1 TARGET=hbmame SOURCES=/src/hbmame/drivers/mhavoc.cpp
>
> thanks!

The main problem with linking is not MAME, or the number of drivers, but the default linker being absolute awful. Even on a single driver build, from an SSD, it can take 8 minutes to link here for every minor change.

If you type
set ARCHOPTS=-fuse-ld=lld
before doing the initial 'make' that builds the scripts, then you use the alternate linker, which links, basically instantaneously.

Quite how / why the default linker is so bad I don't know.

There are downsides to this, I believe it was mentioned it doesn't work properly with the debug symbols and such (haven't tested, as I haven't needed to recently) but for day to day MAME development it's basically essential.

mhavoc
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/03/19
Send PM

Re: Compiling for a single driver new [Re: Osso1]
#389744 - 01/28/21 05:23 PM

oh yeah! that made all the difference in the world... my linker was taking about 20 minutes so making single line tweaks was super painful.

I tried restoring the full driver list and included SOURCES=src/hbmame/drivers/mhavoc.cpp but I had a weird genie.lua error that I couldn't get past (not using REGENIE on that first build). So, I just trimmed the driver list down.

End result, links now in about 15 seconds. :-) Thank you both!!

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> HBMAME / ARCADE64 / MESSUI
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert 
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 718