MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Flat Mode Flat  

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Posts: 1670
Send PM
Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer
12/04/20 06:38 PM


> Youíre missing the forest for the trees. Nobody considers Ďladder gamesí or Ďclimbing
> gamesí to be a genre anymore. Itís all been delegated to the generic Ďactioní or
> Ďaction puzzleí label. But platform games is a broadly defined and well-known genre
> that exists today. You can categorize things however you want, but the collective,
> today, is categorizing games as platformers, and Donkey Kong has the essence of that
> genre. You canít argue that Space Panic has that essence. Itís not there, because the
> essence is jumping. Itís not ladders. Maybe it was some time ago, but itís not
> anymore. Nobody cares about ladders. Ladders arenít interesting anymore.
>
> Itís not fanboyism. I donít even like Donkey Kong. Itís acknowledgement that thereís
> more to a game than just its mechanics. Its affect, its legacy, is important as well,
> and that is something so often missed by critics. Indeed, it is missed by so many
> people, for most people focus only on the details, rather than the big picture.
>
> The same argument is why WOLF3D is the first FPS.

I could say the same too. You miss the elephant in the room, the genre is not called "jumping" or "platform jumping". It's called PLATFORM, a game you travel across surfaces using any means necessary, yes that includes walking and using ladders for climbing to them. Jumping was only an improvement to the genre. If the collective today agrees like you say, we wouldn't have this debate. So you want to keep a legacy by removing another? Then you go as far as using a single game mechanic (or absence of it) from a game you didn't know (but Japan where Donkey Kong origins does) to miss the big picture/historical context. Sounds quite hypocritical to me.

In the end it doesn't matter. If marketing, fanboyism or a personal preference invents a new (sub)genre to claim be the first one, it won't make me lose my sleep. History is there to claim otherwise. Donkey Kong was known as a climbing game just like Space Panic. Grouping both or separate them for being in between is merely subjective.







Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Which was the first True FPS? And Why? GatKong 10/05/18 08:41 AM
. * When was the last true FPS and why? Haze  10/07/18 01:10 PM
. * Re: Which was the first True FPS? And Why? Comboman  10/05/18 11:10 PM
. * Re: Which was the first True FPS? And Why? Haze  10/05/18 10:52 PM
. * Re: Which was the first True FPS? And Why? anikom15  10/06/18 01:06 AM
. * Re: Which was the first True FPS? And Why? R. Belmont  10/06/18 02:44 PM
. * Re: Which was the first True FPS? And Why? GatKong  10/07/18 12:09 AM
. * Donkey Kong was the first platformer anikom15  12/03/20 11:45 AM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer BIOS-D  12/03/20 02:57 PM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer anikom15  12/04/20 06:59 AM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer Haze  12/04/20 10:50 PM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer BIOS-D  12/04/20 07:20 AM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer anikom15  12/04/20 11:33 AM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer BIOS-D  12/04/20 06:38 PM
. * Re: Donkey Kong was the first platformer MooglyGuy  12/03/20 01:47 PM

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  redk9258, URherenow, Tafoid 
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 683